Cooler near the lake VII

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Cooler near the lake VII

Postby Bkcreation34 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 pm

flygal6 wrote:Hey everybody just getting caught up on the thread. Finally seeing some grass is making too think of camping. Can't wait to see everyone and geocache again! Finally got some great news......I finally found a new job! I will tell you all about it at CNTL. Been a long haul, but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally here. Having happy warm spring thoughts!
Carol

I am curioys about Geocache, I downloaded the app on my IPhone and it looks like alot of fun. Will you be doing this during the April event I would like to learn more about it.

Yes the warmer weather is coming it is nice to not wear the winter coat anymore when it is 40 degrees it feels so good. But then again if it was 40 degrees in florida everyone would think it was a blizzard.
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby gdpipkorn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 am

Do not, I repeat DO NOT!! put your coat away before you come. 40 deg. next to the lake w/east breeze is just as sensational as 40 deg. in FL. :shock:
If one's life is entertaining, there is no need to go and buy entertainment.
gdpipkorn
Gold Donating Member

Postby flygal6 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi BK,
Last year we had about 8-10 people who geocached together. I believe the plan is to do it again this year too Saturday afternoon. You might want to check out geocache.com before you come and copy a list of sites within about a 3-5 mile radius from the park. I am not sure about the Iphone app, but I know you can upload the specific caches directly from geocache.com into handheld gps units, maybe the phone too, not sure. I will try to remember the ones we did last year and maybe print off some new ones still fairly close which will be different and have extra copies for folks if they want. Having copies of the description of the cache, container size etc. can be helpful esp if fairly new to this. You also can create a free acct online so you can log your caches found. Lots of fun like a treasure hunt with clues. What I love is you can do this fun activity anywhere in the world with just the handheld gps or in your case your phone. :)
Carol
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby OuttaHand » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:26 pm

I have geocached using my iPhone and it works pretty well. One annoying thing, though: using the onboard GPS really drains the iPhone battery pretty quickly. So make sure your iPhone battery is topped off before we head out.

We'll be more than happy to have geocaching newbies along! I love introducing people to caching and watching them get totally hooked!
Teardrop newbie but camping "oldster"
OuttaHand
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:08 pm

We are now only a couple of weeks away from Cooler. I have my trailer home now and will be doing a few improvements over the next few days.

I talked with my lake home neighbor yesterday and he has been keeping a record of what day all the ice is gone on our lake. He has been doing this since 1993. The latest it has ever gone out is April 12th. As that is only 5 days away and yesterday I saw a guy driving his car on the lake I am guessing that this year will set a new ice out record for our lake. Please do not be fooled by any warm weather. Two or three years ago Cheri and I wore shorts until we got to Sheboygan. It was cold weather coats near the lake. As has been suggested you might want to bring you winter coat to Cooler. Even if it is not needed it is good insurance and for most of us a long way from home.

I'm up for the geocaching again and have provided a couple of web sites for those that are new to the sport. The national site has some great intro tutorials that you can watch.

For additional information on local Wisconsin geocaching visit the following web site.

http://www.wi-geocaching.com/index.php

For geocaching on a national level and for video tutorials see groundspeak's web site.

https://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Bkcreation34 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Gary and Cheri wrote:We are now only a couple of weeks away from Cooler. I have my trailer home now and will be doing a few improvements over the next few days.

I talked with my lake home neighbor yesterday and he has been keeping a record of what day all the ice is gone on our lake. He has been doing this since 1993. The latest it has ever gone out is April 12th. As that is only 5 days away and yesterday I saw a guy driving his car on the lake I am guessing that this year will set a new ice out record for our lake. Please do not be fooled by any warm weather. Two or three years ago Cheri and I wore shorts until we got to Sheboygan. It was cold weather coats near the lake. As has been suggested you might want to bring you winter coat to Cooler. Even if it is not needed it is good insurance and for most of us a long way from home.

I'm up for the geocaching again and have provided a couple of web sites for those that are new to the sport. The national site has some great intro tutorials that you can watch.

For additional information on local Wisconsin geocaching visit the following web site.

http://www.wi-geocaching.com/index.php

For geocaching on a national level and for video tutorials see groundspeak's web site.

https://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx

Gary

Thanks for the links I am looking forward go on April 26th and head a hour to Kohler. Hey anyone want to meet up and we could have a line of teardrops and CT's on the highway that would be fun.
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby RioWilson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am

Surely dealing with all the rain and cool weather now will pay off later for a beautiful weekend for CNTL VII!!!!!
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby Bkcreation34 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 pm

RioWilson wrote:Surely dealing with all the rain and cool weather now will pay off later for a beautiful weekend for CNTL VII!!!!!

We might have to put rafts on the sides of are CT's with all this rain we are having the flooding is getting bad. The fox river out here is getting closer and closer to homes.

Was anyone camping at the time when Lake Delton emptied out through the town?
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

We still have several sites available for anyone who would like to kick off the camping season at Cooler. Site 087 (electric) will be right there with the main group while sites 102 and 100 (nonelectric) are just a few feet farther away and nicely wooded among tall pines. Sites 001, 036, and 038 are the only electric sites still available in loop 1. There are many electric sites in loop 2 but you have to pay attention as there are also gaps of nonelectric. Here is who we know will be there.

1. BrwBier (Bob) - 013
2. Gary and Cheri (Finnegan) - 009*
3. Wanna Be (Lynn and Trooper) - 084
4. Dan and Suzi Galvin - 032
5. Tearhead (Pat and Mark) - 008
6. Outtahand (Kevon and Annette) - 011
7. gdpipkorn (Grant & Diane) - 017
8. Woodbutcher (Steve)+(Marley) - 010*
9. Ptomaine (Tom and Henry) - 012
10. sherryk - 006
11. RioWilson (Mike and Michelle) - 022
12. flygal6 (Carol, Sue and Brutus) - 016
13. Duke and Laurie - 005
14. Glenn and Opal - 014
15. DWE (Dennis and Cheryl) - 034
16. Bkcreation34 (Brian) - 033
17. cs_whypt2 (Dianne, Luke and many dogs) - 088
18. Catleppert - 004

Dawn Zollinger even site number 001 is still available. You could be #1 with us. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gary and Cheri on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby catleppert » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi there, everyone! Quick introduction - we are Chuck and Theresa from Iowa. We know some of you from late last year, a couple of LOL gatherings. The maiden voyage of our home built TD was Mauston last year. It's still not quite done, but we are making progress. At least it is campable, right? :D

We will be arriving late Friday night as we both have to work on Friday, and I have to figure out what I am bringing to the potlucks, so will post that on the food thread. See you all in less than two weeks!

Edited to add: we are in site #4!
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby OuttaHand » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Chuck & Theresa--

A finished teardrop is NOT a prerequisite for attending the CNTL gathering.
Our fist time there our "Little Tow" had only one functioning door (other one was screwed in place) and we had a blue tarp where the rear hatch was supposed to be.

Besides, most hpme-builders will tell you that a teardrop is never done. There's always SOMETHING you want to do/add/change!
Teardrop newbie but camping "oldster"
OuttaHand
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Welcome Catleppert,

With a week and a half to go we are now 18 campers strong. Going to be a good sized gathering. Still a couple of people who have expressed interest but have not made the final commitment. Looks like a good group.

1. BrwBier (Bob) - 013
2. Gary and Cheri (Finnegan) - 009*
3. Wanna Be (Lynn and Trooper) - 084
4. Dan and Suzi Galvin - 032
5. Tearhead (Pat and Mark) - 008
6. Outtahand (Kevon and Annette) - 011
7. gdpipkorn (Grant & Diane) - 017
8. Woodbutcher (Steve)+(Marley) - 010*
9. Ptomaine (Tom and Henry) - 012
10. sherryk - 006
11. RioWilson (Mike and Michelle) - 022
12. flygal6 (Carol, Sue and Brutus) - 016
13. Duke and Laurie - 005
14. Glenn and Opal - 014
15. DWE (Dennis and Cheryl) - 034
16. Bkcreation34 (Brian) - 033
17. cs_whypt2 (Dianne, Luke and many dogs) - 088
18. Catleppert - 004

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Wisconsin State Parks do not allow wood brought to the park from the distance most of us live at. It does allow dimensional (kiln dried wood from Menards etc.) wood. I will be bringing a box of scraps from my basement shop. We have a wonderful fireplace to gather around in the evenings and anything anyone brings will be appreciated by all. The shelter is heated but the ambiance of a fire is priceless.

The bathrooms are also heated and have showers for those of you that would like one. Still make sure you bring along warm weather clothing even if we get a heat wave.

Steve and I are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. We will be turning on the warm weather heaters for you.

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Bkcreation34 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Gary and Cheri wrote:Wisconsin State Parks do not allow wood brought to the park from the distance most of us live at. It does allow dimensional (kiln dried wood from Menards etc.) wood. I will be bringing a box of scraps from my basement shop. We have a wonderful fireplace to gather around in the evenings and anything anyone brings will be appreciated by all. The shelter is heated but the ambiance of a fire is priceless.

The bathrooms are also heated and have showers for those of you that would like one. Still make sure you bring along warm weather clothing even if we get a heat wave.

Steve and I are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. We will be turning on the warm weather heaters for you.

Gary

Hot showers is always a good thing
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby Ptomaine » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Site #7 is now showing as open now. :thinking:
As you grow up and leave the playground where you kissed your prince and found your frog.
Remember the Jester that showed you tears The script for tears.
Ptomaine
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest