Hoosier Winter Camping Jan 09

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Jst83 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 pm

bobhenry wrote:

Top 10 activities at -1 degree ( -15 wind chill )

4. Caress your hot coffee near your body to attempt to keep it from
freezing and drink it for warmth

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Caress your alcoholic drink to keep it from freezing in the bottle while in your hand

I'm so ready, of course I need to re insulate I've about got my gutted now
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 am

So, has there been any more thought about where the shiveree is going to be? I was thinking Spring Mill would be a good choice. If the weather is anything like last year at least the valley location and dense forest of the park will lend protection from the worst of the wind chill. If anyone freezes out the lodge is right there in the park. The breakfast buffet overlooking the beauty of the forest in front of a roaring fire in the large stone hearth would take the strain off of everyone trying to maintain enough warmth in their breakfast long enough to eat it. I could go on and on. hiking trails and caves to explore close to camp etc...
Of coarse this post is in no way biased as the park is only 30 min. from home. :lol:

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:38 am

AND 3 hours and 150 miles for the folks in Marion :(

I loved Spring Mill State park but it's a grind for anyone North of Indy!

I really would like a change of scenery with a park that has not previously been visited by the Hoosier Group. It is gonna be difficult to be fair to all but I know Scott and Kurt will do their best to get us as centrally located as is possible !

So everybody who is on board give them a tenative commitment so they can help us find a great spot.

Guys count Vic and I in ! We're on board !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:22 am

As far as state parks go, most central would be Mounds and Summit lake,
Unless you wanted to go private campground

Mounds has no lake, Summit is on a a lake like Salamonie. Might be neat to see in the winter.

There's a few private campgrounds nearer to Indy, I can check and see if they have winter camping.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Sorry, B H that is virtually the same haul for you as Mounds is for me! Thought I would toss it out there. There seems to be no uber location for a group this wide spread. Thats the same limitation that keeps me from the Salamonie gathering every year. 200 miles and 4 hours each way it simply has been fiscally impossible with the price of gas.(which will go back up shortly) I would like to make this trip this year but if it snows I have a responsibility to all of Indiana's residents to go to work and keep the snow trucks up and running for everyone's safety.

Mark
Last edited by Mark72 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:08 pm

McCormick creek (Spencer IN.) is South of Indy for those coming in out of state that want to stay south of Indy and West for the folks in St. Louis. It's 80 miles fron Fredricksburg for Mark and about the same for us in Lafayette area and 50 from south Indy and 60 from North Indy (Carmel area) The folks in Marion are 125 miles but they had Salamonie in their back yard (less than 20 miles away ) last gathering , so they are still averaging 70 miles between the 2.

I took an old indiana state map and drew a 75 mile circle around Indy. Thats about Danville Ill. in the west ,to Richmond In. in the east, just north of Logansport in the north , and about Seymour to the south. If you divide the circle into 8 sections and use this tool to plan the gatherings you can use it much like a color wheel. north then south, north east then southwest northwest to southeast . So you alternate north to south each time and east to west each time.
There are about 20 state parks in this area unfortunatly the majority are in the Southern half and damn few in the Northwest . The Hoosier chapter has been east (turkey run) then northwest Salamonie then south brown county then way south east Madison then north east again to Salamonie. South west would be just opposite north east (Salamonie) Maybe Rob could join us , being on the Illinois side. I am still driving the 70 to 80 miles or more I always drive so I don't have a big whoop just tossing out some ideas. :?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:20 pm

This is why I want everyone to email or PM me there home towns so I can plot out a central location.
And don't forget it doesn't necessarily have to be a state park.

We'll come up with something :thumbsup:

:lol: not like we have to worry about the campgrounds filling up
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 pm

Now that's what I like Bob. A plan based on logical thiking. No one can argue with that! ;)

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 pm

I never mind the drive it's just that I am running out of tires ......and hubs.....and lug nuts .......! :lol: :lol:

Fredricksburg population 91 :lol: :lol:

Linden 700 whoo wee !

Other funny thoughts ....

priceless !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Bob, That figure on the population must be counted on Saturday night when the bar is in full swing! :lol:

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby mrchuc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Shiveree Fanatics,

Please don't use my location to calculate the site selection. I am definitely an outlier. If I can come, I will be glad to travel wherever it is. I will try to combine the trip with some other activities I like to do.

All the best. Stay warm!
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:53 pm

OK here's the graph so far of those (in state) that have shown interest it's driving time based on Google Map.
Heartland resort is a campground here local it's showing as having the best average drive for everyone. They have bathrooms with running water in January which means heated also ( those that went last year will get that :lol: )

The next best would be Monroe lake state park but I haven't got a hold of them to find out the details of Jan camping. Cause it's off season the reservation person couldn't give any details.

Thoughts? Anyone else want added to the graph?

Come on people, the more people the more firewood :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Scott ya might wanta put an eyeball on Heartland.

This is what so folks had to say......

http://local.yahoo.com/info-15884329-heartland-resort-greenfield?csz=Greenfield%2C+IN+46140

They might have had a bad month and I ain't afraid of frozen Goose poop but ya may want to look it over !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Jst83 wrote: They have bathrooms with running water in January which means heated also ( those that went last year will get that :lol: )

:

I had to re-read to notice this !

There is no verbal explative that will express the caress of a toilet seat at zero degrees on a posterior just released from 3 layers of nice warm clothing.

:shock:
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks Bob, Hadn't read that. I've driven through the campground I think this last spring, the camping area looked pretty descent. I didn't check out the bathrooms but the guy at the gate was friendly and said sure go on in and drive around and check it out. And the gentleman on the phone seemed pretty friendly today. I'll check it out one day this week and check out the restrooms and get pictures.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk anyone into it. it's just a central option.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest