Cooler Near the Lake VI

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby tearhead » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Carol, it sounds like it could work very well. That's great that they could open up the showers for us. As to dates, I'm not sure about the May one but definitely could do the April one.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks Carol...The April date would work best for me , but I might be able to make the May date as well. Lets see what some of the others say. The more imput we get the better.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 pm

flygal6 wrote:Happy harvest weekend to everyone! Looking forward to taking off later today to head up to Door Co for the weekend. The colors should be great.

Hey Carol!

We just returned from treating ourselves to a Door County teardrop weekend! Left Thursday night & just got home a bit ago...stayed at Peninsula & went from one end to the other....beautiful colors, amazing weather, great time & awesome food!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:52 am

April works for me, I will never be able to attend the first week of May as that is opposite a big event in a different hobby.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Cooler #6

Postby pigcooker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 am

What is the plan??? :roll: When, Where?? There are more Folks saying they can do the end of April. I agree with Dennis, don't let this gathering go by the wayside. :cry: Choices have to be made!!! Time is passing.

Doug :D
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

cooler

Postby tjx » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 am

Just wondering also when & where CNTL 6 will be.

Trying to make vacation plans for 2012. Some of are mandated by work to have time turned in by January 3rd. :?
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm the oldest of three brothers. My two brothers own homes in Stockbridge just south of one of the suggested spots. I hope to get up there and look over the park during January. I'll post pictures when I get some.

Lets just declare the last weekend in April as our date. The people that have responded to Flygal6 have suggested that date. It is the date that has been used when Easter did not interfere. Something to be said for tradition.

Thanks for all she did to get this going in the right direction. If others have a different opinion please share it soon as we need to make some reservations in a fairly short time.

Flygal6 I love snow. Hopefully we will still have some like at the second Cooler. The rain you can have and that occurs all year round. Nobody left early when there was smow on the ground, but soaking wet is not fun.

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Why don't we just declare the date the last weekend of April for now. We could still change the place if someone wants to. I don't mind Kohler or trying someplace new. There just needs to be a nice shelter like Kohler has to take the edge off sometimes bad weather.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Cooler neer the lake

Postby dwe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:11 am

I have not been on line for quite some time so I had to get caught up. I know of the Columbia and Calumet county parks. The sites at either parks are nowhere neer as nice as at Kohler. I don't know about the shelter at these other parks so I will go tomorrow and take pictures. I know Kohler is going to add 11 more electrical sites but don't know if they will be done by the end of April. The last weekend in April would be best especially if we move inland because fishing season starts the first weekend in May and both campgrounds inland will be full, my guess. Kohler likes to see us and they have been accommodating. I will post tomorrow.

Dennis
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

cooler Near the lake

Postby dwe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Just got back from the two parks in Calumet County. There was no-one around at Columbia Park and there the campground is like camping in a field with a few trees. They have a shelter but I don't know if it can be rented. I suggest we count this park out.
Calumet County park is a nice park and they have a heated shelter near the north campground that can be rented for $50 per day. The showers are about 2 tenths of a mile from this camp ground. There are 20 sites in this part of the park. It is very nice and some of the sites are on the lake. I talked to the person at the park and she said it could be quite cold and windy due to the time of year and the location of the sites, but, that is no news to us. We know about wind and cold. If we have more then 20 campers they would have to be in a different campground in the park about 1/2 mile away. There is a shelter between these two campgrounds but it is not heated. Calumet County has a web site (http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/departments2.iml?dept_id=34) Cut and paste in your browser. here you can get a map of the campgrounds and park. I am not a big Facebook person and don't know how to find things on Facebook but they have pictures on their Facebook page. I couldn't find them.
Camping here is $20 per night with a $6 reservation fee and must be called in and paid for with a credit card.
This is all I can think of about this park.
We all know what Kohler Andre has so its time we decide.
To put my 2 cents worth in, I like Kohler Andre but I am very one sided about this because Cheryl and I have been doing alot of things out there and are members of the friends of Kohler Andre.

Dennis
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Okay, so it sounds like the tradeoffs are...

Calumet County Park--might be warmer but the shower and shelter might be farther from the camping area than at Kohler-Andrae.

Kohler-Andrae--we know it's likely to be cooler, but the shelter is centrally located as are the showers.

Both shelters are probably nice, but we know the Kohler one.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 pm

So , no one wants to commit huh? It seems a bird in the hand is what most are saying here. We need someone to step up and run this and soon. I checked and the sites are open still but who knows how long. I do not know if the shelter is open. We would need to know that the shelter could be reserved before we make site reservations. Someone local would be the obvious choice to do this. Lets not let this outing go. I will go to any of the suggested parks with Kohler as my first choice.

PS. Kohler has always given us the key to the shelter on Friday. A day early. Only charging us for 1 day.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Yes, I think that might be where this discussion is heading. It certainly was and is a good idea to explore other options, and wow--people took some time and trouble to check out other locations (which also look promising). But it sounds like for this year there might not be a compelling reason for trying another park.

I'm not absolutely positive we can go (either date) but hope to. For that reason (and being almost as far away as Steve is) I'm not able to be the one that handles the arrangements. But I agree with Steve that it would be good to get things nailed down.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:31 am

http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/departments2.iml?dept_id=34

I've posted the IRL to Calumet's park for those of you that wish to check it out. The site does not give much information on the building we can rent, but it appears that it does not have a fireplace like we have at KA.

It has been really nice to sit indoors and have that fire roaring and being able to sit with friends dry and warm is a plus.

Calumet looks great and I think that the Eastern Wisconsin people could use more than one gathering a year. Maybe this is a good place for an August gathering?

As Steve indicated, we need to get this going if we are going to have a chance at good sites. I think it is to late to start looking at new locations and KA has been hard to beat.

Here is the Kohler-Andrae State Park web pages.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/ka/

There are 56 sites with electric available. 6 are already gone. Unless someone can come up with a better plan I will make reservations by this coming Wednesday for Friday April 27 thru Sunday April 29 (3 nights). The shelter can be rented by anyone by calling the park. If there is enough interest that can be taken care of at a later date once interest has been established.

Camping reservations can be made here;

http://wisconsinstateparks.reserveameri ... kCode=kohl

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

Cheri and I have reserved site 006 for Friday April 27 and Saturday the 28th. Should anyone want company on Sunday the 29th it would not be hard to convince us to stay the additional day.

Who will be next to join us for a good time?

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest