Salamonie Gathering near Huntington, IN

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:21 pm

Four teardrops!! We have a GATHERING!!

Everyone is welcome so don't be shy. :applause:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:28 am

We're in! I booked site 222. :thumbsup:

Kurt, I thought you couldn't do it on Oct 5-6-7? I hope we are all on the same page with those dates. because that is what I booked.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jim & Cindi
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 am

Originally, I was going to the Newport Hill Climb but I've changed my plans for October 5-6-7.

I'll be at the Salamonie with you'all. :applause:

Update list for the Salamonie Gathering Oct 5-7.

220 Kurt

221 JohnfromIndy

222 Jim (Tripmaker)

224 Luckey

225 Scott

Earl ?

http://www.visithuntington.org/salamonie.htm

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properti ... ectric.pdf

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:34 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Originally, I was going to the Newport Hill Climb but I've changed my plans for October 5-6-7.

I'll be at the Salamonie with you'all. :applause:

Glad you will be there and that I have the dates correct. But I didn't know you were a southern boy. You'all? :lol:
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:46 am

Tripmaker wrote:
Glad you will be there and that I have the dates correct. But I didn't know you were a southern boy. You'all? :lol:

Growing up in southern N.Y. and living in southern PA and spending too much time in Southern Indiana must be wearing on me. :thinking:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:38 pm

Jst83 wrote:I was thinking I could bring the kids they'd love the show and a friend of mine has a boat he's gonna bring. it will be to cold to swim but we can float around.

It really wouldn't matter what weekend Sep or Oct, Mississinewa sounds great I love boating there and that's what I have in mind.

Scott, my son boats there a lot and he told me to ask if your friend has the "purple Launch permit" for State Rec Areas on hs boat. They can be ordered on line if he doesn't have one. (DNR)
I guess the fines and fees for not having one are worth the $20 cost of the permit. :cry: Just planning ahead.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:
Jst83 wrote:I was thinking I could bring the kids they'd love the show and a friend of mine has a boat he's gonna bring. it will be to cold to swim but we can float around.

It really wouldn't matter what weekend Sep or Oct, Mississinewa sounds great I love boating there and that's what I have in mind.

Scott, my son boats there a lot and he told me to ask if your friend has the "purple Launch permit" for State Rec Areas on hs boat. They can be ordered on line if he doesn't have one. (DNR)
I guess the fines and fees for not having one are worth the $20 cost of the permit. :cry: Just planning ahead.

Not sure, I know he boats up there and at Missisinawa (spelled wrong I'm sure) all the time, I'll check though, thanks for the info
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 pm

Here's the updated Map Image Can't wait

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

just wondering

Postby Luckey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 am

so guys, we have our spots, so far we know who is gonna be there, were planning on bringing a couple of games( bean bags, and crouque(spelling?). i think we have some board games too... we were just wondering what when needed to bring food wise, and if we needed to bring certain stuff for the whole weekend, or just acouple of meals. i guess i'm just tryin to plan ahead. we haven't bought an awning for the camper yet, but i've been lookin around alot. the wife hates it when i get something stuck in my head to build or buy...lol well i was just wondering, thanks for listening. ;)
Luckey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:07 am

Luckey, we have options to work with. I don't have a "bean Bag" game but they are fun to toss around..if you have one. Or bring some horse shoes.

Usually, these short gatherings will have some activity such as a game, general sight seeing, a group breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning and a simple pot luck dinner (Saturday night). This could be as simple as a group hot dog roast, etc. (nothing wrong with that)

One of the activities I've done before is a Saturday night (outdoor) movie. It is different and passes the time with some entertainment.

Any musicians can bring along some campfire songs if you wish.

Another optional entertainment is the Mississinewa 1812 battle re-enactment.
http://www.mississinewa1812.com/
http://www.mississinewa1812.com/schedule.htm

The area activities are listed on the web site
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properti ... monie.html

I'm going to throw the fishing line in the water to see what happens. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Visit to the Salamonie campground:

This is a nice campground. The scenic views over the water are really nice. I think John & Rose are going to like thier site. They as well as Jim & Cindy and Jared & Misy have great views from the cliff.. :thumbsup:

The sunset should be nice on the water to the west.

The infield is nice too. A picture of Scott's site is right across from 222 and 224. :thumbsup:

The electrical boxes have 50, 30 amp as well as standard 110v plug ins. :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

great!

Postby Luckey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:17 pm

that looks great Kurt, Misty and I were just talking today about going up and looking at the sites. we don't have a good camera to do as well as u did. thanks, u saved us some gas. we can't wait, were just debating on what to do with our dogs. they are part of the family..lol thanks again Kurt :thumbsup:
Luckey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 am

Hey Kurt, Thank's for taking a picture of our site. Looks like a great view.

:thumbsup:
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Pie Iron Feast

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:17 am

Pie Iron Feast
I have an idea for our "pot luck" dinner on Saturday. :thinking:

I have several "Pie Irons" that would be great for making grilled sandwiches, Smores, and other Hot pocket style sandwiches.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4809690

If you have any "Irons", bring them along with your sandwich fixin's and this could turn out to be fun. :thumbsup:

This combined with a Hot Dog and Brat Roast might be a great tasting way to enjoy the dinner.

Other dishes such as beans or toppings could be brought as well.

Of course, we could always practice on Friday night as well. :twisted:
YUM!!

For our group breakfasts, I'll bring a waffle iron that can be used over coals of a camp stove. These are really good with maple syrup and butter.
We'll need cookers for the bacon/ sausage and/ or other breakfast foods.

We can talk about this later but we should have several camp stoves that will do the trick for breakfast. I have one (2) burner plus a single burner (for the waffle iron)

Let me know what you think about this and we can formalize some basic plans.. 8)
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Re: Pie Iron Feast

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:48 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Pie Iron Feast
I have an idea for our "pot luck" dinner on Saturday. :thinking:

I have several "Pie Irons" that would be great for maiking grilled sanwiches, Smores, and other Hot pocket style sandwiches.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4809690

If you have any "Irons", bring them along with your sandwich fixin's and this could turn out to be fun. :thumbsup:

This combined with a Hot Dog and Brat Roast might be a great tasting way to enjoy the dinner.

Other dishes such as beans or toppings could be brought as well.

Of course, we could always practice on Friday night as well. :twisted:
YUM!!

For our group breakfasts, I'll bring a waffle iron that can be used over coals of a camp stove. These are really good with maple syrup and butter.
We'll need cookers for the bacon/ sausage and/ or other breakfast foods.

We can talk about this later but we should have several camp stoves that will do the trick for breakfast. I have one (2) burner plus a single burner (for the waffle iron)

Let me know what you think about this and we can formalize some basic plans.. 8)

We have a couple of pie irons but I'll have to think about what to put in them.

Breakfast sounds great. If you are doing waffles I can bring bacon and/or sausage. We have a 2-burner stove that we will have with us. With a small group like we have it should be easy to pull together. Now I'm hungry. :picnic:
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest