Cooler Near the Lake VI

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Betsey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Ptomaine wrote:
Yep, I was in Racine with the original WhiteTrashabago and Bailey the Wonder Dog. Weather was warm, but the ground was soggy; I had about 3" of water in my fire pit!

Well, then you must remember my birthday bash, thanks to Tom C. :thumbsup:

I remember it being freezing cold Friday night, lots of rain (we had snow in Tomah before we left), damp, wet & muddy. But when it finally cleared off & the sun came out, it was much nicer! :lol:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tearhead » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Mark and I will be in 7!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Excellent Pat! Will you be bringing the special coffee pot?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Spent the last three days out of touch at our cabin in central Wisconsin. Great to finally see snow. Eight campers now.

Glenn, looks like you an I have to get a name other than our actual name.

Site #
6 Gary and Cheri also Finnegan
7 Pat and Mark (Tearhead)
8 Happy Phantom
10 Steve (Woodbutcher)
11 Glenn and Opal
13 Doug and Nan (Pigcooker)
15 Kevon and Annette (Outtahand)
17 Tom (Ptomaine)
Last edited by Gary and Cheri on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:39 pm

I certainly could bring the special coffee pot, Steve. That would be the one full of warm "Apple Pie." Everclear on the side.

So, Friday night wine (and apple pie) and cheese, Saturday breakfast and evening potluck? I can start a menu thread closer to the time.

Pat
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Pat, I know that last year you took care of arranging the potluck. If you wish to do that again this year it sure would be super. That would be a great help. You start the list when it seems like the right time.

I'm hoping that the park continues to give us the keys to the shelter on Friday night so that we can sit around a fire two nights. Certainly we will have the potluck on Saturday.

Also, I made doughnuts at the central Illinois gathering in October and could probably make them again for people who want something on Saturday morning. If anyone else has a specialty they want to share just post it to the list.

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm salivating! I haven't had a homemade doughnut in ... decades? Yes! Doughnuts! :applause: Could you come over here tomorrow with a couple?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby happy phantom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am

Gary and Cheri wrote:Spent the last three days out of touch at our cabin in central Wisconsin. Great to finally see snow. Eight campers now.

Glenn, looks like you an I have to get a name other than our actual name.

Site #
8 Happy Phantom
10 Steve (Woodbutcher)
11 Glenn and Opal
17 Tom (Ptomaine)

I should let you know my real name is Kathy. :)
happy phantom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

Looking forward to meeting you Kathy. You will find many new friends here as we all have camping as a common interest. You will also find that many are interested in cast iron cooking. Most of our gatherings include a Saturday night pot luck and Cooler By The Lake has always had one of the best. Lots of Dutch Ovens will show up. The Shelter at KA is one of the reasons we keep going back there. Two rooms, One with a huge fireplace and the other cozy and perfect for eating in.

I can't wait. Tom C. when are you siging up? And where are the Zollingers dwe, Flygal6, Outahand and Duke and all the rest of you that have been coming forever. tjx sure hope you submitted your vacation time for this weekend. Of course our chapter directors are always welcome as are our Minnesota friends (we do understand this is along ways to travel and economics are still not the best). We still have plenty of room.

Gary

Site #
8 Kathy (Happy Phantom)
10 Steve (Woodbutcher)
11 Glenn and Opal
17 Tom (Ptomaine)

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby happy phantom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 pm

So, how does this work? Say, friday night is wine and cheese, do we each bring some to share? I want to do this right! 8)
happy phantom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Kathy, just by showing up you've done it right. This is a very informal group gathering. Just bring what you like to drink and something to munch on and pass around. People will arrive a different times on Friday so as they set up most just wander up to the shelter to visit and snack.

Here is a picture of inside the shelter....

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Kathy,

As Steve said, just by showing up you have done everything we could ask of you.

You will find most of us socializing with each other during the evenings.

Friday night wine and cheese is just a name. Bring something or nothing. Hot coffee, hot cocoa, hot apple cider (notice the hot theme at times that it is cooler) can really be appreciated. Snack to share awesome. Most of the campers like to be social and make new friends and share ideas on trailers or just about any subject. Tents are more than welcome as we understand that many are interested but haven't purchased or started a build at this time. We all are members in either Tearjerkers or Tears and Tiny Trailers and most are on both forums and this common interest generates alot of talk and bonds us together.

Saturday night is when most of our sharing occurs. Pat will be organizing a pot luck about a month or so before the event. She will try to make sure that not everyone brings chocolate (even though that would be awesome) as some like salads and a main dish. This is the one time that we hope everyone participates. Sure is some great food being made.

You may find that some will have things to share at other times during the weekend. A lot will depend upon how cold, windy or wet it gets. The nicer the weather the more you are going to find people walking around looking at each others trailers and catching up from the last time they saw each other.

From where we are camping you will find a board walk about a 100 yards to our west that goes out into marsh land with lots of birds and other animals. About 200 yards north will be another board walk that follows the lake from on top of some really nice sand dunes. You can walk for along ways. My wife and I usually walk out on the dunes and come back on the beach. Usually see deer on this walk. Some people will go into Sheboygan or other nearby places during the day on Saturday. It's up to you.

Sunday will find people leasurely packing up and many will be on the road by noon.

Past Cooler by the Lake events have found us with snow in the parking lots or 60 plus temperatures. The only time I was miserable was 3 years ago when it was cold, foggy and raining almost all of the time. Many left early that year. At this time of year the lake keeps the temperature 10 degrees cooler than inland which is why we have investigated other locations. Having said that it is hard to beat KA as a place to camp.

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby happy phantom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, I will be watching this thread..and am planning to bring something I can be proud of sharing! I am looking forward to being a part of what sounds like a wonderful group of people! :applause:
happy phantom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tearhead » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Gary did a great job of describing the event and the vibe. It's very, very relaxed. You can have as much or as little people contact as you want. One thing I learned is that if you're up for showing off your trailer, it's good to make your bed right away--sometimes the "tourists" come strolling around with their coffee cups kind of early. Nobody's pushy about that, though.

I'd just add that there is a Saturday breakfast that is really super good. Everything and anything you can think of, people bring to share for the breakfast. We'll get that organized, too, so we don't have all of one thing. Usually there's really good attendance at the breakfast!

I'd say our big flaw is taht we all always seem to bring too much food.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:57 pm

ptomaine, you indicated that Route 66 was coming, do you know if he is the camper on site 12 or do we have someone unknown joining us?

Gary

Gary and Cheri
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest