Eastern Wisconsin campout

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Eastern Wisconsin campout

Postby BrwBier » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Because their are more and more teardrops in eastern Wisconsin, and because if I'm ever to finish my teardrop, I need a deadline. We all need to meet each other and share stories and ideas. Where would be a good place to camp as a group? I would say Kohler-Andrea state park, but it would be hard to get sites for a group without a lot of commitments early in January. The reservable sits fill fast for weekends and the first come sites are hit or miss. Sites during the week are usually not a problem, except for around holidays. So, how many teardrops are there in eastern Wisconsin and where are you located.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Claw » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:52 pm

Brwbier

Good motivation to finish it up! or at least get her road worthy. :thumbsup: Did you have a date or rough idea when you want to do a camp out? I know Tom, TLC lives in Kenosha and might be interested. Duke up in Green Bay area is working on his build so a camp out might be good motivation for him too. I live just south of Beloit in IL but am game for a weekend over that way.

I am not too familiar with E WI campgrounds but lets see where others have camped at that might work.

It is killing me to look at my Tear Drop all wrapped up in the side yard. I need spring to get here already!

JIM
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby elmo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:15 pm

I just got back from tent camping/motorcycling around Neillsville, Wisconsin,(Snyder County Campground) but I guess I could go again. I love winter camping! :thumbsup:

I have a friend of mine that owns a campground in Clintonville, Wisconsin. I also camp at a campground in Door County that does alot of larger gatherings. They just changed the name to Tranquil Woods. I have seen a Jayco gathering there and a Honda Goldwing gathering. I guess it depends on how far everyone wants to go. Door County has a lot touristy(sp) stuff for people top do.

Up in Nicolet Nation Forest they have a nice campground at Boulder Lake. I go there 3-4 times a year. It is by Mountain if that helps to picture where it is. Lots of sites and you can reserve large group sites.

I guess lets get the date and take it from there.

I am not picky!

Lets Make it Happen!!!! :applause: :beer:
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby TLC » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:15 pm

To all concerned:
There are two campgrounds down here near Kenosha that would be suitable for groups. Bong State Recreation Area and Cliffside county park in Racine Co. Cliffside is right on Lake Michigan, and Bong is out in the middle of nowhere. No, it's actually 10 miles from nowhere!! Both parks are closed for the winter. I assume you're talking about a gathering during the regular camping season.
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:33 pm

Tom,

I think they are talking spring/summer! I think I am the only one goofy enough to camp year round!

Cliffside is a kick a...oops...I mean...very nice park!

Where are you at in Kenosha? I use to live on the west frontage road between 7 mile road and "G"...a little red brick house. Not too far down the road in Racine!

Elmer
elmo
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 pm

I've never been to Bong, so that would be interesting. Door county is always a good choice, especially if we get people from farther away. It's nice to show off that part of Wisconsin. It's been years since I've been camping. We camp when we go on trips, which is all we've done for the past 10 years or so, but not for a weekend or anything like that. I'm open for almost any time in the regular season, late May or early June would be a good time. Maybe the weekend before or after Memorial Day. I would love to show off the Sheboygan area, but like I said, Kohler/Andrea State park would be to hard to set up a group camp out, but if anyone does go there too camp, let me know and I will stop by if not try to camp there.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Claw » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Cliffside and Bong sounds cool and being a bit south it might attract some of our Indiana friends. Door County is a gorgeous area when do the cherry blossoms come on? I am thinking a date before Memorial Day as Minden is in June. We have to watch out not to set it up on Mother's Day. Tom do you know when the parks open?
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby elmo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:00 am

Info on Bong!

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/land/parks/reservation/

Info on Cliffside!

www.racineco.com/crepository/publicwork ... amping.pdf

Just a thought for you...Bong is a recreation area with atv and motorcycle trails. It can kind get a little loud, but I can bring toys for people to play with.

:beer:

Elmer
elmo
Donating Member

Postby TLC » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Elmo:
I live on the south side of Kenosha, but I know exactally where you said you lived in Racine.

Jim:
Elmo beat me to the draw!! If it turns out this gathering is scheduled for Door Co. I know of a campground off the beaten path, that's nice and clean, never crowded and still close to everything. Seems few people even know of it.

Tom
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:57 pm

TLC wrote:Elmo:
I live on the south side of Kenosha, but I know exactally where you said you lived in Racine.

Jim:
Elmo beat me to the draw!! If it turns out this gathering is scheduled for Door Co. I know of a campground off the beaten path, that's nice and clean, never crowded and still close to everything. Seems few people even know of it.

Tom

Tom,

What campground in Door County are you talking about?

Elmer
elmo
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Man, I'd like to Camp at Bong just for the name. 8)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TLC » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:45 am

Elmo:
The campground in Door Co. is Monument Point Camping
http://doorweb.innline.com/property.asp ... tegoryId=1
Tom
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby TLC » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:56 am

http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/
Sorry Asian, not what you'd expect with a name like that huh???
Tom :cry:
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:07 am

TLC wrote:Elmo:
The campground in Door Co. is Monument Point Camping
http://doorweb.innline.com/property.asp ... tegoryId=1
Tom

That is one I actually considered for a seasonal site. Very nice and quiet. It looks like I will be parking my big camper at Tranquil Timbers because of the play area and the pool for the little ones.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby s4son » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:23 pm

asianflava wrote:Man, I'd like to Camp at Bong just for the name. 8)

I would like to have the concession stand at that campground. :lol:

All kidding aside, Richard Bong was one of the great fighter pilots of WWII. I had forgotten he was from WI.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Next

Return to Midwest