Is a Spring Mill date set?

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Is a Spring Mill date set?

Postby WarPony » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm

I was just wondering because I have heard alot of good things about the gathering in '06 from JimmyMc and IndyCubby. It's one I want to get to if I can. Only about 10 hours from my house in Topeka.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby IndyCubby » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Hey Warpony! Looking back, it was just about this time last year that the subject came up. I'll bet that Kurt (Indiana) has something cookin' and will be posting something soon about it. I was just thinking to my self today "I wish I could be taking a trip with the camper". Every time I go out to the garage and see it sitting there, it makes me wish for warmer weather.

Hey Kurt, you got your ears on?

Oh and Jeff, if you come to Indiana again...make sure you bring a spare transmission this time! :lol:
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:03 am

IndyCubby wrote:Oh and Jeff, if you come to Indiana again...make sure you bring a spare transmission this time! :lol:

:lol: I'm going to bring a spare TRUCK!!! 8)
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:02 pm

You're right, it's about time to start working on the Gathering for this Spring.
So far there has been nothing decided on as far as the location, but, as we talked last year (at Spring Mill, we would be looking at sites in Illinois or elsewhere.

When I get home, I'll start getting suggestions together from last year's group to see what develops.

Rob48, always has good ideas for gatherings since he has seen many more campgrounds than I have.
Any ideas that pop up should be mentioned.

Does anyone have information on southern or middle Illinois that would be good for a gathering?

It's totally open for discussion at this point.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby IndyCubby » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm totally open to going anywhere. It might be nice to go to IL...have never camped there. Going to these gatherings is what makes me try new places. I have to admit, though...I hold a grudge against Illinois...I got a speeding ticket there several years ago and I still curse every time I cross the border. I guess I need to get over that, eh? Maybe a camping trip there will help me finally get over it :)

I went to the IL DNR website and looked through some of the parks in the Central/Southern areas. Ferne Clyffe park looks nice:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R5/FERNE.HTM

Just keep us posted as you plan, Kurt. This will give us something to look forward to. I'm up for wherever we go.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Claw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Hey from the top of Illinios! 8)

I'm watching the thread here. If you get something together I'd be interested if the dates work.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:22 am

Kurt - I liked your suggestion of Turkey Run but have never camped in IL so I don't know how their parks are or what they have to offer. I guess I'm open but since this may be our maiden voyage I hope it may not be too far.

Obviously since I am now in the building process I did not attend last year. When was it? Do you have dates in mind for this year.

Jim
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Campgrounds in Illinois

Postby Teardrop from Illinois » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:04 am

Camping in Illinois - We do have several campgrounds that are nice - private and state owned. There is the KOA in Lena right next to Galena (Northwest Corner of Illinois) which is a wonderful city with a lot of antiques and history. In Central Illinois there are campgrounds around Bloomington/Normal and Starve Rock up in Utica.
I'm pretty sure there are several in Southern Illinois but don't know much about them.
let me know if I should look any further.
Cheryl and ALan :)
Teardrop from Illinois
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Tripmaker wrote:
Obviously since I am now in the building process I did not attend last year. When was it? Do you have dates in mind for this year.

Jim

Jim, last year's gathering was May 5-7.
Although no formal plans have been made (yet), the weekend of May 18-19 looks pretty good to me.

Any other dates that appeal to anyone? :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Anyone ever been here: http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R5/HORSHU.HTM

Some shallow water canoeing might be a safe fun day.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:38 pm

May 18-19 is good that would give me the extra week or 2 to get done. although my goal is May 1. Turkey Run is a beautiful park, I don't know much about the camping there. Spring mill had a real nice campground. Although I was just there camping down the way that weekend just so I could gawk :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Teardrop from Illinois » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:56 pm

We think May 18-19 sounds good also. This will be our first time with the group. Turkey Run in Indiana sounds also good. I have heard some many good things about it.
Cheryl and Alan
Teardrop from Illinois
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:00 pm

Jst83 wrote:May 18-19 is good that would give me the extra week or 2 to get done. although my goal is May 1. Turkey Run is a beautiful park, I don't know much about the camping there. Spring mill had a real nice campground. Although I was just there camping down the way that weekend just so I could gawk :lol:

Most all of the Indiana parks I have visited have good camping facilities with power and nearby bath & shower facilities. Campgrounds and sites are spacious. Most parks have something to offer that is unique to each. I am beginning to run out of stone ground cornmeal obtained at Spring Mill, for my cornbread.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:07 pm

I really did love the loop that they were on last year at Spring Mill. Kind of nice having nothing but woods behind you. And I'd really love to see the caves. I didn't get much time to look around, I was to busy taking pictures of Teardrops. This year I can relax and enjoy were ever it is. I'll just have to figure out how to tell the wife I'm going in May and then to Minden In June. Oh well I've got 4 months to work on a plan :lol: :lol:

Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Claw » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:15 pm

Is there a link for Spring Mill? I don't even know what town it is in. :thinking:
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Next

Return to Midwest