Cooler Near The Lake II

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby SaGR » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Dayna_SaGR wrote:"Who's the winner of the Tastiest Dish?" but I think everyone's cooking was so excellent that there's really no contest there!

I *do* want the recipe for the beans that were there (DO). They had relish in them or something? Friggin' awesome beans!

They were on the right side of the fireplace closest to the fire.
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby elmo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:27 pm

SaGR wrote:
Dayna_SaGR wrote:"Who's the winner of the Tastiest Dish?" but I think everyone's cooking was so excellent that there's really no contest there!

I *do* want the recipe for the beans that were there (DO). They had relish in them or something? Friggin' awesome beans!

They were on the right side of the fireplace closest to the fire.

The beans were good, but my vote goes for the home-made beer!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Brwbier!!!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby elmo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 pm

packerz4 thanks for the new teardrop swag!!

Pictures to follow!
elmo
Donating Member

Postby tjx » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:32 pm

SaGR wrote...

I think the beans you're talking about were Woodbutchers...they were great. :thumbsup:
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:35 pm

elmo
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:44 pm

I was going to do this as soon as I got home but I noticed that my hops had grown a foot since Friday and needed some tending. I have all the pictures I took in an album for you to see.
http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll20/brwbier/
After viewing the slide show you will notice that we (I) forgot something. No group picture, so I was thinking it will only take a few minutes, so could everyone stop by the park next Saturday and we can then get the picture. Just let me know if this will or will not work out.
We did have a good time, mostly because the shelter saved the day. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my beer. I would like to apologise for lying about the weather, I knew if I told the truth no one would have agreed to come. But honest, it's not always like that. What a great turn out, 20 teardrops, a tiny trailer, a tent, a pop up, a van with a trailer, a fifth wheel and one in a pickup. I think I got the count right. Plus according to the previous post, some one we never knew was there.
Please, if you had a good time tell your friends and check the Mid West section for Cooler Near The Lake 3, if you didn't have a good time, tough, we tried. (Just kidding)
Bye for now
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:15 pm

SaGr,

The beans you are talking about were made by Steve. I watched him make them. There is like three types of beans, plenty of onions, some meat, two types of BarBQue sauce, couple of hot peppers, in other words everything but the kitchen sink.

I can't remember exactly where he got the recipe, but it was one of the guys on TV. Could be the "Barbeque University" guy's book. I also believe they are called "the world's best beans".

I also would like to thank everyone for making my wife's and my first teardrop gathering such a pleasant experience. We will be back for more. I went to get ideas and came away with many. The plus was all the friendly people.

Gary J.

Looking forward to attending "Frigid by the Lake" next year.........Sorry...."COOLER by the Lake".
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks to all for making my first Teardrop event so much fun. I had never seen another tear before this weekend. This is a great group of people and I will return for sure. The leak will be fixed soon so I don't have to sleep in the fetal position all night. To those who don't know, My hatch hinge leaks when in the up position only. Never sealed the bottom edge because water doesn't run up hill. Well it does when the hatch is up. Friday night was spent in a very wet bed. Not fun. Thanks to Elmo and the guys for taking such good care of me Friday night , by keeping me hydrated. The food was unbelievable. Got a great Saturday morning waffle lesson. I promise to practice and be be able to hold my own next time. The dinner was so goooood! I had a small amount of most all the hot dishes. I would hope that everyone would post their recipes. I would like to try many of them. To see all those dutch ovens lined up on the hearth was ...priceless!
Thanks for the kind words on the beans. It is a recipe by Steven Reichlein (SP) of BBQ USA . This is a great book for anyone who loves BBQ and wants some history along with great recipes. I will post the recipe as soon as I can and hope others will do the same with theirs.
To those that did all the coordinating and planning , thanks for doing all the work, it was appreciated! :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I forgot something. I went home a different way and stopped in Wilmot to check out a new flea market. Hopeing for some cast iron. I missed a turn and pulled into a parking lot to turn around. I guy pulls right up next to me and asks about my Tear. He made one in 2003 but has never seen any others around. He pulls some pics out of his console to show me. Then another group pulls up to look. Well he starts asking where I got my fenders. So I told him where I had just spent the weekend and all about the forum. So don't be surprised if we have another Teardrop show up next time.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby packerz4 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:31 pm

elmo wrote:packerz4 thanks for the new teardrop swag!!

Pictures to follow!

No Problem Elmo! Great meeting you in person.

Hey BrwBier--- I forgot to ask you to show me how to Geo-Cache.

I'll have to come down one day and you can show me then... how's next Saturday since we'll all be there for the picture?

;)
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby bennelson » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Glad I got to make it out.

This was my first official teardrop get together, if you don't count me accidently meeting Parnell and Barb last summer.

My wife, Kristin, just kept saying what nice people teardroppers are.

You can see a few photos I snapped off here:
http://web.mac.com/benhdvideoguy/iWeb/Home/cbtl2.html

I think I may have to do this modification for real for next time.:

-Ben Nelson
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby cs_whypt2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 pm

bennelson wrote:Glad I got to make it out.

-Ben Nelson

On the way back to Milwaukee...the person honking their horn as they passed you was me. But you looked the wrong way...or you didn't notice.

Any way...it was nice meeting you. :)

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby elmo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:25 am

:(

Better today than yesterday!!
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 am

Brwbier am I understanding correctly that you are a Geo Cacher also?

Next weekend my tear can be found in Lowell Indiana for a World War II re-enactment, but then it can be found at the Wisconsin Geo Cache Campout being held at Governor Dodge Park on the weekend of May 16-18. Our third year in a row for this event. A great time with great people.

Geo Caching seems like a natural extention of Teardrop camping. If you haven't tried it you should.

Gary J.
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Muskrat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 am

Hi All!

Elmo's picture this morning is the reason we left yesterday.

We arrived home last evening around 8:30PM (MI time). Smooth sailing just a little slowdown on the Edens Expressway (94) on the way into to Chi'town.

My feet are finally warm again. We had a wonderful time! Thanks Bob for your hard work!:applause: AND BEER!!

It was our 2nd TearDrop event. It was nice to see our friends from last time and to make new friends this time.

Hope to see many again the end of September at the next Camp Inn - Camp Out.

Jack & Nancy
Muskrat
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest