Canoeing N. KY and S. OH

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Canoeing N. KY and S. OH

Postby WarPony » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm

Well, Anna and I are going on vacation next month and have reservations at Natural Bridge State Resort in KY and then Hocking Hills SP in Ohio. We are looking for good canoeing rivers in both states near both areas and wondered if anyone has some good input.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby raprap » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45 pm

Some of the best--Red River Gorge has after all the Red River, and Red River Gorge is adjacent to Natural Bridge. The Red River is interesting although it is more of a rock climbing Mecca than canoeing. A little south around London Kentucky is the Rockcastle River. The upper Rockcastle is relatively easy, the lower Deadly dropping 50 to 100 feet per mile. Several Livery's available.

About halfway between the Red River and Hocking Hills there Ohio Brush Creek, and a sometimes easy float, a sometimes class 3 (after a gullwumpus) starting at Serpent Mound going to the Swirl Hole. There a livery in Peebles.

Hocking Hills is also along the Licking River--several Livery’s available. Moreover, at Bob Evans Farm (Yes that Bob Evans) there's a day livery along Beaver Creek and you can see where all them breakfasts come from.

Iff'n you want whitewater though---go to the New River Gorge in Ravenswood WVa and take a raft trip on the upper New---lots of rafting companies and camping--canoeing on the New though is not recommended--it generally gats a set of rocks named after you posthumously.

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks, Rapster!! The Red River is one that we wanted to hit first. I wouldn't mind a good Class III canoe river but the GF gave me the hairy eyeball because we have a dog.......

We're hitting the Hocking when we get to Ohio!!

Thanks, bud!!

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Hey Jeff, hows the JD. coming along? Sounds like a great vacation. Are you crossing Indiana in route? If so what road are you traveling?

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Mark72 wrote:Hey Jeff, hows the JD. coming along? Sounds like a great vacation. Are you crossing Indiana in route? If so what road are you traveling?

Mark

Dude, the JD is G-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-inding along!! We'll be driving on I-64 through Louey Ville, KY.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby raprap » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Be prepared for a detour. The downtown connection of I64 is closed, consequently you won't be able to experience the thrill of driving through the Gault House parking garage at 60 mph. You will however, experience the Watterson expressway (I265) as you go along the south side of Llouville (If you say Lewie they'll know you're from Kansas). Takes a little longer but it's not fatal. Iv'e done it four times this summer from southern Ohio/ eastern Kentucky to parts west.

Be heading your way this weekend on my way to Colarado, but I'll be doing Kansas on 36 instead of 70. That way I can stop in Smith Center and the Sweden dairy bar of a BLT mmmmm good.

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:17 am

Thanks for the heads up on the detour, J. Hart!! I've got the game plan for going around to the South.

Highway 36 through Kansas, huh? Man, you're a glutton for punishment, that ought to take a week to get to Colorado. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Return to Midwest