Winter Camping Brown County Indiana (We made it)

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 am

Think we could bribe the rest of the girls .....http://www.abbey-inn.com/sweetheart/logcabin.html
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:54 pm

bobhenry wrote:Think we could bribe the rest of the girls .....http://www.abbey-inn.com/sweetheart/logcabin.html

There's no way the wife's coming, If she did she'd have to bring the little ones.
That my spark her interest if we survive this year and decide to do this again :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mrchuc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi Folks,

Well, the verdict is in and I lose. :( So sorry, but I won't be able to make it. My mother-in-law is doing well, but the bank account and a couple of other things aren't.

I am really sorry to miss out on the fried corn meal mush. That is my favorite breakfast! :thumbsup:

Everybody have a great time, take lots of pictures, and stay warm! I hope I can join in next time.
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Scott and all of the winter campers, this winter camping adventure has all the makings of a shot to the moon or a cross country excursion in the old days.

Keeping in mind that you are in Teardrop trailers and will be protected from the bitter cold with blankets and heaters, think of the pioneers who did this in a covered wagon.

Although I would love to stay over night, I'll be thinking of those adventurous settlers who did this 150 years ago.

If you can imagine that the trip across country would take many nights and days of bitter cold and extreem heat, we pretty much have the best of old and new worlds.

If it gets bad enough, the car can be started and warmed up to solve any extreem cold issues.

I love history but I'm glad the teardrop was developed and that I had the foresight to build one.

I wonder how many of us could have made it through the winters in the Rockys and elsewhere.

Keep this in mind when you get cold on Saturday. I'll be there to witness the "Shiveree" but I'll be on my way by about 4:00pm or so.

I look forward to seeing you guys and meeting those that are new to our group.

Think Positive (+F on the thermometer) :thumbsup:
This could be History in the making. :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Kurt you know that's funny you should mention pioneers, that has crossed my mind on more than one occasion that they did it with far less than we have.
It will be fun and something to talk about for a long time :lol:

I did pick up a good deal at Wal-Mart tonight, 2 quilted, Hooded flannel shirts for $5.00

See the pioneers didn't have Wal-Mart to help get ready for there trek cross country.

Sorry to hear you won't make it Chuc Hope to see you at a future gathering. We've got some good ones coming up this year, still lots of room for the May gathering in Brown County.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Jst83 wrote:Kurt you know that's funny you should mention pioneers, that has crossed my mind on more than one occasion that they did it with far less than we have.
It will be fun and something to talk about for a long time :lol:

I did pick up a good deal at Wal-Mart tonight, 2 quilted, Hooded flannel shirts for $5.00

See the pioneers didn't have Wal-Mart to help get ready for there trek cross country.

Sorry to hear you won't make it Chuc Hope to see you at a future gathering. We've got some good ones coming up this year, still lots of room for the May gathering in Brown County.

Scott, I'll be there Saturday to see you guys ( and make sure you're OK) but I think it would be fun to stay over. Like I said before, my trailer is hard to get put away and hard to get out so I'd rather just stop by and say hello instead.

I also want to take time to visit the "Bushman Harmonica" outlet in Nashville while I'm there. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Look forward to the visit We'll be in sites 90ish, It might be hard to locate us as I'm sure the park will be filled up :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Food

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Look like Bob and I are both bringing chlli for sat night
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Food

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 am

prohandyman wrote:Look like Bob and I are both bringing chlli for sat night

With lots of beans :twisted: it will be just like the sceane from Blazing Saddles :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:35 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote: I also want to take time to visit the "Bushman Harmonica" outlet in Nashville while I'm there. :thumbsup:

Is that the adult novelty store I have heard so much about ........?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Safe Camping

Postby prohandyman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:53 am

I know it can probably go without being mentioned, but I hope everyone has at least tried their heating systems, and have taken extra precautions to have them mounted in safe manner, without combustable material interference. This degree of cold means heaters were be working overtime, and no camping camaraderie is worth a fire. I am bringing 5 extra gallons of liquid gold, you know - gasoline, to use in a vechicle if someone has to sleep in one, and my extended cab truck will be available if anyone has doubts about their campers safety. My canopy has sides for wind protection, and I have a propane fired heater to stand inside of the canopy for extra heat if needed. Does everyone carry a fire extenguisher?
Just want to have a safe and fun weekend. :thumbsup:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:04 am

Got home last night and my sis ,who is staying with us ,had beans and corn bread made for dinner I am still enjoying them this A.M. Phew ! Put that with the chili and God only knows what will happen.I guess I'm gassing up to heat the tear one way or the other.

Put the oil heater in the trailer last night (not as cold outside 26-27 low and little if any wind) and it was 62 degrees inside on low. I was concerned about condensation on the inside of the lexan but it was as dry as a bone. I guess I had it backwards hot on the outside and cold on the inside for condensation. While we had snow there was none on the top so the lexan insulation factor is pretty much nill. I am learning a lot with my little science experiment.

The low was revised for Saturday to 17 from 4 so it's warming up but the high for the day dropped. Do you guys have a nagging thought that the folks in Florida and southern California are laughing hysterically at us, boy I do !

Trailer lights are not working so I am leaving work early today or Friday to sort it out. I'll rig it one way or the other. Why is it they know when you are leaving. Scott you had this problem last spring before the Turkey run gathering didn't you.

Gonna tow with the Scion XB since Dan has the wood situation handled. Love that 30 MPG verses 14 . And I really love the head turning looks as I tow my toy trailer with " FUGLEY" . I got my mini logs for the pot belly stove though, but I gotta get the chiminey pipe to fit a little tighter don't want a carbon monoxide headache been there

I'm still buying old what's her name long johns so that means biscuits and gravey Sunday morning :worship: Lord that girl can make b's and g's .
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Safe Camping

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:15 am

prohandyman wrote:I know it can probably go without being mentioned, but I hope everyone has at least tried their heating systems, and have taken extra precautions to have them mounted in safe manner, without combustable material interference. This degree of cold means heaters were be working overtime, and no camping camaraderie is worth a fire. I am bringing 5 extra gallons of liquid gold, you know - gasoline, to use in a vechicle if someone has to sleep in one, and my extended cab truck will be available if anyone has doubts about their campers safety. My canopy has sides for wind protection, and I have a propane fired heater to stand inside of the canopy for extra heat if needed. Does everyone carry a fire extenguisher?
Just want to have a safe and fun weekend. :thumbsup:

These thoughts are why I chose to use the radiator style oil heater they are slow to heat things up but the have the tip over shut off and are just very warm to the touch. I hung it from the grab bar that I installed on the ceiling at the doors. ( They were originally installed so old fat people with bad knees can still climb in) Have several extinguishers around the house but need to check the charges haven't been serviced since I closed my auto repair shop.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:33 am

bobhenry wrote:Trailer lights are not working so I am leaving work early today or Friday to sort it out. I'll rig it one way or the other. Why is it they know when you are leaving. Scott you had this problem last spring before the Turkey run gathering didn't you.

Drove all the way there with no running lights and everytime I hit the brakes the turnsignal wouldn't work. wound up being a grounding problem. Haven't tested them since Oct gathering. Guess I better

As far as heat I put my little space heater in one day when it was down to 14 and it was 72 on the bed floor was 40 but I fixed the draft I had around the wheel well. My heater sits on a nice big shelf no way for it to get dumped and if it does it has a shut off also.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest