Winter Camping Brown County Indiana (We made it)

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:00 am

raprap wrote:Being on central time---I just woke up. Packed and hooked--and yes the taillights do work. The way I figure it--if I leave by 7:30 CST I should be there by 12:00 CST. I only have to gotta make coffee, walk the dog and get gas. Got one question it being so warm for a January outing--do you think I should bring the ice cream maker? I got room.

Rap

Ice Cream would go great with the frozen chili on a stick and the coffee cubes. Don't worry about the gas with the beans in the chili we can make our own. :D

There you are, Dan !!!!! The extreme team forges on !!!!!!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tripmaker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 am

Well guys here it is 10:30 and I've been sitting on the fence about weather or not to join you. Sitting here thinking about watching a chicken roasting on the fire turning a rich golden brown. Thinking about the chili, beans, and Mr. Taggert. Thinking about sitting by the fire tonight with a bit of sipping whisky. Thinking about a great breakfast tomorrow morning. :coffee: Also thinking about a long drive down there and back by myself. I would end up spending more time driving than I would being there. Well with all this thinking going on it looks like I have procastinated long enough that it would be late afternoon before I got there. Guess I'm not going to make this trip. :cry:

I know you guys are going to have a great time. It may be a bit cool but it is sunny. Did everyone bring their sunblock? 8) It really looks like a great weekend for camping. Hope you take lots of pictures and post them when you get back.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:25 am

:cry: I have just watched my husband and his long time friend pull out of the driveway. Our boys are crying because they don't think Daddy's coming back. Do you suppose they know about the men with the pretty white jackets that tie in the back. :roll:

mrs JST aka Amy
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Amy, tell the boys not to worry. I saw the crew at Brown County and everyone is fine. I left for home about 3:30 and I'm glad I did. Man, it was getting colder all the time.

They did have a good fire and n EZup with side for shelter from the wind.

If they get too cold like I did, believe me, they'll be home soon.
I wasn't dressed for the weather but they all looked well prepared.

The warmth felt really good when I got the car warmed back up and headed north.

It will be a trip to remember, I'm sure.
Sleep well, they're OK.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:47 pm

This morning I had a notion to pack up the EH and come and visit... but after I did a mapquest, I realized you guys were not just across the border a mere 3 hours away. You were actually a whole days drive away... I gotta do some better planning in the future.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

Mike , I call it damn near Louisville. Everybody made it Dan Rap Scott and I . Scott brought his buddy Scott and believe it or not old what's her name really did go and had a ball. I learned a lot. Very 1st dutch oven cook and Vickie and I did a big roast with potatoes and carrots and onions. Everybody jumped in and when we were done the only thing left in the pan was the smell and even it was good. Clamped my wood stove niech on the side of Chubby and the inside temp went from 40 to 78 in 15 minutes. The clamp on niech was a great idea for the stove heat was wonderful however when I opened the door and the smoke roled out I knew that there was a design flaw. The chiminey was to short and did not draw well enough so another chininey and another cold campout but not at 1 below. Tell auntie M we gots a bunch of pics. Mine will take a few days as the good ones are on my 35 mm. The lexan roof was fantastic all afternoon the solar gain thru it was great and laying ther looking at the moon overhead was breathtaking. We made it until Sunday morning that's 12:01 Sunday morning the heater we chose was the oil filled radiator style hung from the ceiling . The thermometer on the mantle shelf near the ceiling was 78 but 2 feet lower it was 40 or less. We took a vote and it was 2 to 0 we retreat. Sorry about breakfast guys you are on your own. It's been a long fun filled day with good friends and it's 4:30 AM Sunday and I'm gonna turn up the furnace a notch and crawl into my other bed the one without wheels.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:14 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Amy, tell the boys not to worry. I saw the crew at Brown County and everyone is fine. I left for home about 3:30 and I'm glad I did. Man, it was getting colder all the time.

They did have a good fire and n EZup with side for shelter from the wind.

If they get too cold like I did, believe me, they'll be home soon.I wasn't dressed for the weather but they all looked well prepared.

The warmth felt really good when I got the car warmed back up and headed north.

It will be a trip to remember, I'm sure.
Sleep well, they're OK.

Ya called that one Kurt. We had to bail Sun A.M. (barely 12:01 that way we could say we stayed all day :lol: )

It was good to meet you thanks for spending time with us.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:28 am

Bob, I'm glad you guys are OK.

By the time I left (about 3:30) it was dropping fast (about 15 F on my thermometer)I could see that it was going to be a long night.

Many people were wondering why anyone would want to camp out in the severe cold of winter.

You're not just "anyone" but instead the group is an adventurous bunch of fun loving teardroppers. ( it was fun)

It was not "stupid or reckless" at all as some are wondering. It was fun while it lasted and if it had been a "stupid" bunch you wouldn't have had the sense to come home when the reality set in. :thumbsup:

Being one of the coldest days in the last several years, it will be something to look back at and remember when the warmth of spring arrives. At least we got a good look at the campground that will be used for the May gathering.

I really enjoyed meeting you and seeing the teardrops. Your wife ("old what's her name") is a unique person and I'm glad I got a chance to meet and talk to her. She is "one of a kind" (in a good way) and you are a lucky man indeed. :)

I'm sure there will be some interesting posts on the forum today.

Glad you are all safe and warm again. :thumbsup: :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Zero deg. Camping

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Well we made it. Lowest noted temp was -1 deg.
Here is group pic. More to follow.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Camping pics

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Here is the link to rest of my pics from our Extreme team zero degrees camping!
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa177/indyflycaster/
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Dan glad you survived the night. hope the thumb warmed up and it's not bothering you. Thanks for the wonderful fire and my mini logs for the toy pot belly stove. Vickie had a good time and we enjoyed everybodys company.

Scott check in and let us know you are alive and well ( or at least defrosting)

Raprap same as above hope you have a safe trip back south. Thanks for the "APPLE PIE" sample :?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:24 pm

We'll I made it home no problems, Yes it was cold :lol:
On the good side I had to get up and turn done my heat a couple times it was to hot to sleep.
We stopped by the lodge and had a look real neat. They have some nice little cabins I'll have to check out for me and the wife.
:( sorry but I only got a couple pics of the scenery, my camera just didn't feel like working at 0 deg F

Rap said he planned to stay until about noon then head home.

Dan Great pictures and I'm glad you remembered your heater.

Everyone, Thanks for showing up for this goofy idea, It was fun
Now I can't wait till May the campground is beautiful, and I won't have to use the cooler to keep my drinks from freezing :lol:

Pretty bad when your drink freezes in your hand

Pics
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Sounds like you guys had a winter blast. Sorry I missed it. :cry: Glad to hear everyone survived without any cases of frostbite or hypothermia. Perhaps you will provide inspiration to others on the forum that think camping is only for summer months. Dan how did your thumb survive? I would think the cold would make it sore even though it has been two weeks since your mishap.

Good going guys and great pictures! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

bobhenry wrote:Ya called that one Kurt. We had to bail Sun A.M. (barely 12:01 that way we could say we stayed all day :lol: )

It was good to meet you thanks for spending time with us.

Bob, Let me get this straight; you mean you packed up and left at midnight? :thinking:
Not that I fault that decision but it must have been a long , cold wait until 12:01 am.

After the cold that I felt just in the little time I was there, I think that was a good decision. After I got cold (and knew I had a "way out"), I couldn't get warm again near the fire.
Good move, the beer probably was frozen anyway. Wow!!

I'm glad the pot roast finally got hot enough to cook. With ambient temp in the low teens it takes a lot of charcoal to over come it. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Re: Zero deg. Camping

Postby Claw » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:22 pm

prohandyman wrote:Well we made it. Lowest noted temp was -1 deg.
Here is group pic. More to follow.

Let me guess ICEHOUSE Beer :lol:
This has been a fun thread to watch and am glad you all made some great memories. Definitely winter camping is not for the timid.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest