Indiana Gatherings for 2008

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:12 am

Tripmaker wrote:Did we ever figure out what to bring for Saturday night pot-luck? I know there was lots of talk about beans and by-products. I could make a crock of ham & beans again or how about pulled pork?

Jim

Optional menu:

Ham & Beans & corn bread
or
Chili & cornbread
or
Irish stew & cornbread

(keep in mind, we could have all three)

desert (cobbler or something).

Now to figure out who will make what.

First to volunteer gets to pick a menu item to cook..

I can make an Irish stew. (anyone have a problem with cooked cabbage?)

We will probably have cool weather this year (at least under 85 F) so the "Hot" dishes sound even better.

Remember, we don't need to over do the corn bread. We usually have way too much.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 am

OK I'll make a crock pot full of Chili. To make sure we don't have a repeat of last year's corn bread extravaganza, I'll bring a box of Saltines to go with the Chili.

Let's see we'll have chili with beans, possibly ham & beans, and cooked cabbage. Add some beer :beer: and we potentionally have a very explosive combination. Good thing this is an outdoor event. We better not sit too close to the campfire.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:03 am

Tripmaker wrote:OK I'll make a crock pot full of Chili. To make sure we don't have a repeat of last year's corn bread extravaganza, I'll bring a box of Saltines to go with the Chili.

Let's see we'll have chili with beans, possibly ham & beans, and cooked cabbage. Add some beer :beer: and we potentionally have a very explosive combination. Good thing this is an outdoor event. We better not sit too close to the campfire.

Sounds good, I'll bring a fire extinguisher and some air freshener. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Well I'm doing ham and beans, let's hope it comes out better than last weekend :thumbdown:

You aren't into real hot chili are you?
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby prohandyman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 pm

The Suttons are good for cornbread and a desert (or two)
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

camp out

Postby dwe » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:35 pm

We are thinking about going to your camp out. We are from Wisconsin and were wondering what is going on in the area that weekend?

Dennis and Cheryl
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:52 am

All right brauts and cheese may be covered.

The closest major festival that weekend is the largest reenactment of the war of 1812 near Marion (about 15 minutes south). Maybe Kurt will chime in with more info since he from that area.

We would rather eat and swap lies all weekend. Some take long walks around the lake . There may be a little change in color if the cool temps prevail.

We would love to have ya join us. Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: camp out

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:41 am

dwe wrote:We are thinking about going to your camp out. We are from Wisconsin and were wondering what is going on in the area that weekend?

Dennis and Cheryl

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to the battle re-enactment. http://www.mississinewa1812.com/

Please come join us for the weekend. Good friends, good food, and Kurt always guarantees good weather. :thumbsup:

Jim
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 pm

This a repost from tearjerkers. I know most have been there but the few that haven't may find this info of use.( I know we sure could have used it )

Sight seeing at Salamonie or Lost in the ozone again

For those of us who have never been , The main entrance to the modern camping area is just off of highway 105. Old what's her name and I decided to waste the last of the cheap gas ( under $4.00 ) in the Scion and drive over and eyeball the camping area and pick out ours. We were coming from the West on 24 out of Peru and Turned onto 524 at Lagro. We drove right to the primative camping entrance drove up and down and around and around a little over an hour. No DNR staff anywhere the few people we asked about the modern camping just thru up their hands. I know where it is but I can't tell you how to get there. We stopped and asked a local couple out mowing and they were finally able to get us to the dam we drove across and made a hard right and guess what we are back at primative camping . Right where we were 1/2 hour and 35 miles ago. We did stop at the visitors station as we crossed the dam and grabbed a site map . I am generally good with maps and directions but this snipe hunt had me ready to burn the damn map. ( no pun intended)Finally we tripped over a DNR guy and he marked the map and we made a 30 mile drive out in the country Thru Lincolnville and over to 105. Yes we finally found the main gate with less than 1/8 of a tank of gas left we were finally able to eyeball the sites and after making 3-4 loops around the campground area that Kurt had on his post we decided on a couple choices. So use S.R. 105 and don't be a dummy like me and come in on the wrong side. I felt like a real idiot !
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Were back!!!

Postby Jarred&Misty » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I went ahead and made a new account . I lost all of the other posts from last year :cry: but that's ok. So we'll be able to talk on here now. Can't wait to see all of you guys this Oct. Thanks.

Jarred :thumbsup:
Jarred&Misty
Teardrop Builder

Re: camp out

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 pm

dwe wrote:We are thinking about going to your camp out. We are from Wisconsin and were wondering what is going on in the area that weekend?

Dennis and Cheryl

Jim beat me to it. The Mississinewa battle re-enactment is a good one to see. It's rated quite high as those things go. It is about 20 miles away but it's worth the trip. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Jarred
What happened with your old account. Were you banned for posting too much? :lol: :lol: :thinking:

Kurt
I have been meaning to ask you if you knew why 37 has been shut down betweem Elwood and Marion?
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:
Kurt
I have been meaning to ask you if you knew why 37 has been shut down betweem Elwood and Marion?

Jeff, I'm not sure since I rarely go that way but I'll try to find out.

Update
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks Kurt.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:Kurt

:question: Let me take a stab at it. Construction? :rofl:

Perhaps aliens abducted a section of the road. My kids always blamed aliens when my Oreos came up missing.

OK I'll shut up. :DOH2:
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest