Upper Peninsula Michigan camping

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 pm

see them little black specs on the rail... those are black flies...

I wasn't very good at taking pictures then, nor did I take pictures of where the flies really were... out in the parking lot, eating all the road kill on our windshields...

When I go back up I'll try to get better pictures...

Mike..

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby campinwi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:29 pm

If going to spend time in the U.P.,it is very worthwhile to buy the book
"Hunts guide to the Upper Peninsula". It was supposed to be updated last summer. Great book with sights to see and places to go. Since the U.P. is so remote in some areas, good info to know. I live 60 miles south of Ironwood,MI and have spent lots of time up there.

If going to Sylvania Wilderness, make sure to stop in Paulding, Mi to see
the "Light" Great phenomenon that cannot be explained!
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am

campinwi wrote:
If going to Sylvania Wilderness, make sure to stop in Paulding, Mi to see
the "Light" Great phenomenon that cannot be explained!

Please explain.
:lol:
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 pm

The Paulding light is a light that is off on the distance, moves around. Lots of fables as to what it might be. It has been investigated and on tv, is not from cars in the distance. They have been unable to figure out how it gets there.
Here's a couple of links:

http://pauldinglight.com/

http://www.backwoodswisconsin.com/paulding_light.htm

Great site to go see on a nice summer evening!
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Before the Mackinac Bridge days

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:39 am

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

The Edmund Fitzgerald

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:21 pm

The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald

This is a great tribute to those lost!
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

camping

Postby dwe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm

My Daughter styed at Pictured Rock National Lakeshore Park. She said it was very nice but the campground fills up in the summer.
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby Montana » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am

mikeschn wrote:Jeff,

BTW, here's my pics from when I was up there last time...

http://www.mikenchell.com/Taq_Falls_Photo_Album/

You'll notice I did go to Paradise and the beach there as well. And if you zoom in on the Whitefish Pt photos you'll see the flies that are so abundant there.

I have lots to learn about the UP though...

Mike...

Nice pics! I like the forest in the U.P., the main reason I go there. That and the waterfalls of course. For anyone who hasn't gone, it really doesn't feel like the midwest - it's quite scenic.
Montana
Teardrop Inspector

The Rise and Fall of the Mystery Ship, Alvin C Clark

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:34 am

Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

(Email Info)

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:27 pm

The Nipigon River is the primary source of surface water for the largest surfaced lake in the world. (Which is Lake Superior .) Here are some facts that might occasionally blow your mind.

LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS

** Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh water on the planet Earth.

** It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.

** The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.

** There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior .

** Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.

** A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it Lac Tracy , but that name was never officially adopted.

** It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined, plus three extra Lake Eries ..

** There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Marys River (Sault Ste Marie) into Lake Huron . but it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.

** There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water a foot deep.

** Lake Superior was formed during the last glacial retreat, making it one of the earth's youngest major features at only about 10,000 years old.

** The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.

** There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.

** The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters or 31 feet high.

** If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas .

** Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the largest source being the Nipigon River .

** The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes . Underwater visibility in some spots raches 30 meters.

** In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.

** Some of the world's oldest rocks, formed about 2.7 billion years ago, can be found on the Ontario shore of Lake Superior .

** It very rarely freezes over completely, and then usually just for a few hours. Complete freezing occurred in 1962, 1979, 2003 and 2009.
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:53 pm

Gaelen wrote:wow--except for the sandy beach, those sites look a lot like Fish Creek Pond or any of a number of campgrounds in the Adirondacks in NY

Gaelen, that's exactly what I was thinking.

FCP has a lot of sand at the water's edge but nothing that that.

Jeff, I just got into this thread today.
Are there any outings planned (or in the works) for a trip ?

I've seen the locks (about 58 years ago) but I'd like to see that area again.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Jeff, I just got into this thread today.
Are there any outings planned (or in the works) for a trip ?

I've seen the locks (about 58 years ago) but I'd like to see that area again.

Well, the trip I really wanted to do this summer was postponed (not cancelled) until next summer. I really want to stay at the Soo a night or two so I can get my boat fix then on to Andrus shown in the photos for some good quality boon docking. Who knows there may be a gathering up that way next summer so stay tuned. I will post either way to see if anyone else wants to enjoy some U.P. peace and quiet.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Nitroxjunkie71 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Karl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Gaelen wrote: Are there any outings planned (or in the works) for a trip ?

I would certainly be open to talking about making one of our gatherings next year revolve around this. Let me know what you think. And if for some reason that doesn't work out as a formal chapter-sponsored gathering, what the heck...feel free to plan your own trip up there. Sure looks interesting!!! I'll help if I can.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby eight433 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:03 am

I am likely going up to the bridge next weekend for the Semi-Truck show. Should be fun :thinking:
eight433
Teardrop Builder

Postby whitefishpoint » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Anyone who missed camping in the U.P. this year REALLY MISSED A FANTASTIC YEAR!

There were NO bugs We camped for 9 days and I never wore misquito repellent!

We camped around the Keeweenaw.

Lake superior was unbelievablity warm. For the first time ever, we were able to swim perfectly comfortably for hours. We swam every afternoon for 4 days straight until we couldn't go out anymore due to getting too sun burned.

whitefishpoint
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest