Upper Peninsula Michigan camping

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Upper Peninsula Michigan camping

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Are there any campers out there who have visited either one of the following campgrounds in Chippewa county, upper peninsula of Michigan?

Shelldrake Dam State Forest Campground?

-or-

Andrus Lake State Forest Campground?

It seems the Shelldrake Dame site has been shut down until further notice since July '07, but I would still like to know what anyone thinks of either of these primitive camp sites. I know it is quite a treck up that way; 544 miles + from Indianapolis but I have been up that way quite a bit and the drive is well worth it.

thanks in advance as I have found limited info on these sites and any would be helpful.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:02 pm

I'll be going up to the U.P. this summer... I was thinking Taq Falls and also the Porqupine Mountains... Any other suggestions?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Whitefish pt area

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi Mike,

Only once have I actually camped up in the U.P. and that was in a tent on the shores of the "Big Lake." When we have ventured up that way on dive trips off the point we have always stayed at Curleys motel in Paradise, just east of the falls. I am simply doing some research on places I can utilize my "HOBO HILTON" when we frequent the north country during the summer months.
If you are going to be in the area of Whitefish pt there is a large parking lot directly adjacent to the Whitefish pt lighthouse. I have seen large campers parked there over night as it is a huge tourist spot for shipping history as well as bird watching and rock collecting. Just south of that location between the point and paradise is where the two rustic campgrounds are located that I am seeking information on. I don't think you can pick a bad place in the U.P though. I would expect that few here have stayed at the sites I mentioned but I thought I would give it a try. The marina (boat launch really) is just south of the point and that is another option but I don't know what they would say. It is not manned at all as it is in the middle of no where but I have seen tugs on several occasions seek shelter from heavy seas.
I hope you enjoy it up that way. Have you ever been? Bring a bike if you end up at the falls. The Soo or St Ignace are the closest you will come to civilization from the point.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Jeff,

BTW, here's my pics from when I was up there last time...

http://www.mikenchell.com/Taq_Falls_Photo_Album/

You'll notice I did go to Paradise and the beach there as well. And if you zoom in on the Whitefish Pt photos you'll see the flies that are so abundant there.

I have lots to learn about the UP though...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Awesome

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Great photos Mike. Seeing them makes me want to go YESTERDAY. I truely appreciate the offer to scan in some campsite info. That will surely help me out in the future. I think the Great Lakes Chapter should plan a trip up that way; I would go at the drop of a hat. If you don't mind company I would be glad to tag along on your next venture; I just love it up in the U.P. This is the main reason I wanted to make a Tiny Travel Trailer. Enjoying it like you did in your photos is what I want to do. I will learn a lot from the great Hoosier chapter in May which I am looking forward to.

Not to leave you Hoosiers out; (LETS HEAD NORTH!) :awesome:

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Sure you can tag along, or meet me up there... either way is fine... but you gotta let me finish building one of my trailers... I have nothing ready to go.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dandy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Mike & Jeff,

Tahquamenon Falls gets my vote for a great U.P. State Park. We've stayed there a couple of times and it will be one of the first trips in the new Widget next summer. Many of the facilities have been redone in the last few years and there are two campgrounds to choose from (the picture for my avatar was taken on our campsite at the River Mouth - primitive loop - campground.

Last summer we stayed at F. J. McLain and the Straits S.P.s didn't like them nearly as well as Tahquamenon. I stayed at Porcupine Mountains years (i.e., decades) ago and remember it being nice too. Fayette is another favorite. If you're in the habit of taking a canoe or kayak along, you'll want to do so on this trip. Lots of water and access points.

We love the U.P. and actually do a lot of site-seeing when we go. Lots of history, especially mining and shipping, and plenty of wildlife to get your attention - when you least expect it.

Mike, the black flies aren't bad toward the end of the summer.

Last but not least, Tahquamenon is the only State Park in Michigan where you can buy beer on premises - there is a microbrewery/restaurant at the Upper Falls.

Dave
Widget Project thread

"Why friends, you set a bucket of beer in front of a pig, and he'll grunt and walk away--and so should you. Or would you rather be a duck?"

W.C. Fields
Dandy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sonar37 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Mike, these pictures are awesome!! :applause: :applause: Makes me remember why we live in Northern Michigan. During these long dreary days of winter one tends to forget. :thinking:

I say "LET'S RALLY!!!"

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? ~Author Unknown~
sonar37
Teardrop Master

Postby Old Goat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Jeff,
I’ve spent some time at both sites, I don’t know that the state plans to re-open Shelldrake Dam State Forest campground.
Andrus lake State Forest is easily accessible, has pit toilets and a well pump, no electricity. Perfect for me not so for others. Andrus Lake is a clean shallow lake nice for swimming/bathing. A lot of things to do and see in the area, such as Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish point( where there is a great shipwreck museum). If you have any specific questions fire away.
Old Goat
Old Goat
Teardrop Inspector

Paradise Mi

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks OG for the response

I am looking for someplace close to the boat launch / Whitefish pt. When we do charters up that way we leave from the launch and since my project is coming along nicely, I would like to utilize it up that way next time we go. I could not find much about the sites I mentioned so I thought I would try the site and now I have proven to myself that it was worth the wait.
How far south would you say either one if them are from the launch?
Would you recommend it to someone like me who is not particular to the amenities of a well established camp site?
do you have any photos?
Do you know why they shut down Shelldrake?
I may have more later.

Thanks again Old Goat.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Old Goat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Jeff,
Andrus Lake is approx. 6 or 7 mi. south of the safe harbor at Whitefish. Shelldrake is about another mile west of Andrus. A couple of years ago the State opened the earthen dam at Shelldrake to drain impoundment, this wasn’t much of an impoundment and I don’t know what their intentions were. As far as I know they haven’t done anything since(Funds are not available I suspect). I haven’t stayed at Andrus in a while and any pictures I have are probably with my adult children now. I have a cabin 2 miles south as the crow flies and still stop at Andrus for a swim and lunch. A nice little campsite with minimal amenities. The spring and early fly hatch can really be a “b*tch”.
Old Goat
Old Goat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer17 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Pictured Rocks by Munising, Keweenaw penninsula, Lake Gogebic area ( alot of waterfalls besides Tahquamenon), the Big Spring off Indian Lake by Manistique, and of course Da Yuppers Tourist Trap near Ishpeming! Been a long time since i spent any time up there and i miss it. there is enough to see in the UP you would need and entire summer and probably not see it all!
Denny
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:27 pm

It is great up that way. Me being a diver, my dad is always asking me why I moved south. Throughout the 90's we went stayed up at Geramettas resort on Indian lake in Manistique. It was the last two drives on the right just before you hit the Big spring parking lot. We would always stay up there for a week walleye fishing.
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/bigspring/spring.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlkwdRw5 ... re=related

and don't forget the:

MYSTERY SPOT! :thinking:
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:17 am

This is an old post but I checked out Andrus State Campground this summer and wanted to post some pics. I plan to check it out next summer with the trailer in tow.
The park is just north of Paradise off Whitefish pt road west on Vermillian road less than 1/2 mile.

This is primitive camping. There was only a pop up and a tent or two when we rode in Friday morning. I checked out site #3 which was a big site with lots of pine, birch and cedar! :thumbsup:

Here you can see the vault T's and (Bear Proof :thinking: ) trash containment bin.

What I really liked was the lakeside sites. They have their own sandy beach. It was windy out (as usual up there I'm sure) and on the beach would be a nice place to sit and watch the sun set in the Great White North! This site is on the E side of the lake looking W.

When you first come in you take care of what you need to do here as well as get water.

There is also a picnic area and a boat landing.

Last edited by Nitroxjunkie71 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Gaelen » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

wow--except for the sandy beach, those sites look a lot like Fish Creek Pond or any of a number of campgrounds in the Adirondacks in NY
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Next

Return to Midwest