tears by the river

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Betsey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:37 am

Claw wrote: Betsey don't tell me the first three reasons you got into teaching was June, July and August! :lol:.

Naw...I don't know many teachers who actually get the summer off. Summer is anything but a vacation with all the meetings and paperwork. I always feel the angst about this time, as there is still way too much to do. And as my job seems to change every year, right before school starts, I never quite know what I'll be doing until I'm back. :o

Claw wrote: We camped next to a special education teacher at Blackhawk Park. She had visited every WI SP and Recreation area, 53 in all if I recall and got her parks passport stamped at each in less than a years time.

Wow! That's an accomplishment! Must have gone on lots of "field trips!" :lol:
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Route66 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Hello everyone . . .

Just checking in after spending 3 weeks on the road with the TD in Yellowstone, Grand Teton and the Black Hills. I'm sure looking forward to camping back on the home turf - The scenery was great in the National Parks but camping on the pulverized dirt in the drought plagued campgrounds out West was not a fun time. It's gonna take me a week to de-dust everything.

Thanks for posting the info on the bike paths; I'll be bringing mine.

Still trying to figure out which combo of Me, wife and dog are attending :?

Mike

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in . . . - Mark Twain :)
Route66
Teardrop Master

camp

Postby tjx » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Sounds like a nice trip Mike...look forward to hearing stories and looking at pictures.
See you in a couple of weeks. :D

Jerry and Tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby BrwBier » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Which two weeks will go faster. The next two waiting for vacation or the two weeks of vacation after that? I'm just finishing a few improvements to the teardrop and then it's just wait. I hope to see you all in a couple of weeks.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

things to do

Postby tjx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 am

For all you military buffs and/or those just interested in our countries history....here something I just read in our local paper. :thinking:

The USS LST-325 will be making a stop in Clinton, Iowa (Just down the river from those camping approx 10 miles, also can use the bike trail). This is one of only two remaining and has been restored. There will be tours on Sept 4-8th for $10.

To read more about it here is the website.
http://www.lstmemorial.org/

The ship actually arrives in Clinton on the 3rd and there will be a welcome from the city/mayor.
On Saturday the 6th @ 2 pm the Navy Great Lakes Ensemble will play at the Bandshell in Riverview Park, located on the riverfront. :thumbsup:
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby kayaklover » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Tina and Jerry,

Looks like I'll be joining you! I'm in site 122 .
What time does the progressive cocktail party start ?

Jim (Claw), my kids, and I will be camping at Carley state Park in Minn. this labor day weekend. There were 2 reservable sites left as of this morning if anyone wants to join us.
Lori
Co-Director
St. Croix Tearjerkers
kayaklover
Teardrop Master

camp

Postby tjx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Glad to see you are coming Lori....wouldn't be
the same without you. :applause:

The cocktails start as soon as you arrive!

Updated list of teardroppers:
Site 99 route 66
Site 100 Parnell and Barb
Site 101 Diane
Site 102 Randy
Site 103 Tina and Jerry
Site 104 Darrell and JoAnn
Site 105 Tom
Site 106 Betsey and Craig
Site 107 Jim
Site 112 Steve (in spirit)
Site ??? Brewbier (calling on Saturday)
Site 122 Lori
Last edited by tjx on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tjx
Teardrop Master

Anyone bringing boats ?

Postby Route66 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 am

Hey -

Just dawned on me that we are BY THE RIVER !! I saw Jim's pics with kayaks and now we have Lori and maybe another kayak ?

I was thinking of bringing the canoe if I'll have some paddling buddies :QM :QM

- Mike
Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in . . . - Mark Twain :)
Route66
Teardrop Master

Postby Claw » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Mike,
I'll beg Lori to bring her Kayaks. Since all my paddling has been in her boats. It is great out on the water. I am lookin' forward to it. :thumbsup:
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

canoe

Postby tjx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Mike and Jim....

There is some nice backwater just north of the campground to canoe/kayak in at Riverview. Nice drive back there also, if you are coming in on 84 South of Savanna, turn at the Neumiller farms to the right and cross the RR tracks. Continue on that road and it will lead you all the way to the campground, coming in the back way.
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby Route66 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for the tip on Riverview Rd instead of 84 along the river. . . . looks like the turn off of 84 is just a hair South of the airport. I'll try that route on my way in . . .

Here's a couple maps that will help with navigating into the campground.

Looks like however you get to beautiful downtown Thomson, it's W. Main St. to Lewis to Potter into the campground . . .

Last edited by Route66 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Route66
Teardrop Master

map

Postby tjx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 pm

thanks for the map Mike.... :thumbsup:

you are correct about where to turn on 84...it is the first right after the airport, directly across from Neumiller farm entrance.

On your map Lewis ave is the entrance basically to the park. Also there is camping at the end of west main street where the loop is shown. Only way to get to it is entering the park and driving back. It is a pretty spot but no showers there yet. It is the newest part of the park.
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm

I hate to do this but I am going to have to pull out of this outing. The teardrop has not been used since the April outing. In June I hurt my back and have not been able to do anything. I finished my 3 cortizon (sp) shots to the spine. There has been some relief but I'm a long way from being normal. At least normal for me!. So site #112 is now open if anyone wants to get it. I waited till now to cancel, hoping I would be well enough to camp. Maybe someone can post some pictures afterward, so I can see how it went. I will be there next time, God willing.

Have a great time everyone,
Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

camp

Postby tjx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Steve,
Sorry to hear about your back.... :thumbdown:
We will miss you and certainly take lots of pics to post for you.
You just concentrate on continuing to get well.

tina and jerry
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby TLC » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I hate to do this but I am going to have to pull out of this outing. The teardrop has not been used since the April outing. In June I hurt my back and have not been able to do anything. I finished my 3 cortizon (sp) shots to the spine. There has been some relief but I'm a long way from being normal. At least normal for me!. So site #112 is now open if anyone wants to get it. I waited till now to cancel, hoping I would be well enough to camp. Maybe someone can post some pictures afterward, so I can see how it went. I will be there next time, God willing.

Have a great time everyone,
Steve

Steve, sorry to hear you'll have to cancel. But I sympathize with you....been there, done that! I had back surgery in April of 2000 and haven't been the same since. Hope you have better luck.
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest