PROPHETSTOWN STATE PARK NEAR LAFAYETTE IN.

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

PROPHETSTOWN STATE PARK NEAR LAFAYETTE IN.

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 am

Was out on the bike Sunday and found myself in the area so I dropped $6 at the gate for a slow putt thru Prophets town State Park. I was suprised to find there were 150 camping sites with water sewage and electric AND an additional 100 sites with electric only and water and restrooms conveniently located. It is truely the Hoosier prarie though. The trees are all new to the park and no old growth woods. Bike paths are every where and very nice new shelters and restrooms throughout the park. Attraction are the steps back in time. An authentic Indian village and a early 1900 "living History" farm. Several belgin horses are kept on sight for plowing and horse drawn wheat harvest displays throughout the season. Most recreations are done on the major holidays but many smaller activities are every weekend. Probably not a great July or August site due to the lack of shade but this would make a great fall gathering place. As yet mostly undiscovered it seems it would be much easier to reserve a site and enjoy it without the crush of big crowds.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Set a date.... ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:46 pm

Make a great shivaree site no AC needed :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Now Bob, in another thread you said you didn't plan very far into the future! As in the Madison gathering in August. But you have my vote for a shiveree there. Sounds like a great place for cold weather camping!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 am

To me life is a series of accidents. I accidently found myself close to the park so I took a look. I accidently mentioned shivaree ! Hell I accidently found this sight and look at the insanity THAT has caused!

Seriously We have met a lot of neat folks and have had a ball so far. Vickie is the queen of teardrop trailers at work going on and on about our camping adventures.

Thanks to each and every one of you
( all 7000+ )

Bob and Vickie Henry
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 am

Bob, what about a site for 2009 spring gathering? It sounds like it has everything required except the big trees.

I'll look it up on the "state" web site, an eye ball view is always better. What do you think about it (so far). :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:47 am

I'm more interested in it as a spring campout location, if we're offering opinions, though no reason it couldn't serve to thrill the winter crowd as well!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Everything is almost brand new. The camping facilities are immaculate. Paved roads and paved bike trails. The folks that have to be entertained would be disappointed but those of us that go to eat and visit could be quite content. I think it would be an excellent cool weather gathering site. I agree with Rob maybe spring 09 . Since the reporter at the Journal and Courier expressed some interest in us maybe we could get some exposure in the Lafayette paper.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby raprap » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Now I'm mot averse to cold weather, but my experience with winters in W Lafayette are not good. Perhaps that's because I wasn't prepared when I ventured into the minus 25 degree wind without hat or gloves, but I almost froze in a 10 block walk to class.

I've never benn to Prophetstown State Park, but the Battleground is familiar---The Wabash has some fair canoeing water. And to the sout, down toward Fort Ouiatenon was Stineys--good fried fish and cold longnecks.

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:34 am

http://www.battleground.in.gov/sites.htm

Battleground monument and park is literally across the highway and within walking distance. Heavily wooded trails and the museum is very educational.

http://www.tcha.mus.in.us/battlefield.htm

If you click on the battlefield history you will understand why it's

" Battleground"

The 3 day fiddlers convention is fantastic if you like Bluegrass music some big name make suprise visits every year.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Fort Ouiatenon, and the Feast of the Hunters Moon is a great event to attend.

http://everything2.com/node/1944524

Good food, really neat living history lesson.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Rob
We did the "settlers" scene for a number of years. Shared a teepee, dressed in period clothing. The "feast" was at the top of our must do's, and is still at the top of the must attends!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 pm

:thinking: :thinking: Do I hear a gathering coming together?? :thinking: :twisted:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:58 am

Dan,

I've been wondering for years how much fun that must be...

After the gates close, and all the modern visitors dissapear, history comes alive in sight and sound...

Too many things in life to experience, not enough years :(

Rob

PS Kurt, we need a reason ? ;)
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 am

http://www.tcha.mus.in.us/feast.htm

What are we doin' that weekend ? 9/27 9/28

When is Salamonie Scheduled ?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Midwest