PROPHETSTOWN STATE PARK NEAR LAFAYETTE IN.

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:22 am

bobhenry wrote:http://www.tcha.mus.in.us/feast.htm

What are we doin' that weekend ? 9/27 9/28

When is Salamonie Scheduled ?

We're clear. The Salamonie will be October 10-11.

I was just about to publish the date so this is good timing. :thumbsup: In fact, here is the annoucement

Jst83 wrote:2008 Indiana Gatherings
October, 2008

“Fire Pie Fiesta” Salamonie Lake, In

---------------------------------------------------------------

Announcement

The date for the Salamonie gathering is set for Oct. 10-11.

I have secured site #222 for the sake of the view, but the inside of the circle would be great for the gathering group.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/salamonie_l ... ectric.pdf
http://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/

Check the map attached for sites and reservations.

Reservations (at this point) should not be a problem, but don't wait too long into the summer. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

confused

Postby tjx » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 pm

:scratchthinking: Ok Kurt, are you guys talking of two different outings?
We've been reading and looking at coming out to Prophetstown Park if there is to be a gathering and then you mention Salamonie???? on Oct 10-11. Is Salamonie something celebrated or another park??? If another park is it near by?

tina and jerry
tjx
Teardrop Master

Re: confused

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58 am

tjx wrote::scratchthinking: Ok Kurt, are you guys talking of two different outings?
We've been reading and looking at coming out to Prophetstown Park if there is to be a gathering and then you mention Salamonie???? on Oct 10-11. Is Salamonie something celebrated or another park??? If another park is it near by?

tina and jerry

tjix, there is a planned gathering in October at Salamonie lake in northern Indiana.

The Prophetstown discussions are for a potential (informal) gathering near Lafayette, Indiana.

The "Feast of the Hunter's moon" event is in late September and is part of the Prophetstown thread.

So far there is no "planned" gathering in Lafayette but it sounds like one is brewing.

Stay tuned :thumbsup:

send me a "pm" with your email address so I can put you on our mailing list for the gatherings and updates.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:36 am

It's a shame they are so close together maybe in 09 we can plan around the feast of the hunters moon. It's a neat experience for young and old alike. The State park is only 9 miles from the Purdue University Stadium and the city provides free hourly rides to and from the feast which is 18 -20 miles from the park. ( about 10 from the stadium) The city transfer elimiates the parking fees and hassle of getting in and out as well as front door delivery for those that have some trouble with long walks. I didn't start this thread to confuse anyone. Salamonie is a PLANNED gathering. Prophetstown was only brought up as an option for a cool weather gathering site fairly centrally located and convenient for the Illinois members.

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:44 am

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/11925.htm

click on the middle blue pin directly above Marion ( just NE of Kokomo)

Here's Salamonie
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:46 am

bobhenry wrote:It's a shame they are so close together maybe in 09 we can plan around the feast of the hunters moon. It's a neat experience for young and old alike. The State park is only 9 miles from the Purdue University Stadium and the city provides free hourly rides to and from the feast which is 18 -20 miles from the park. ( about 10 from the stadium) The city transfer elimiates the parking fees and hassle of getting in and out as well as front door delivery for those that have some trouble with long walks. I didn't start this thread to confuse anyone. Salamonie is a PLANNED gathering. Prophetstown was only brought up as an option for a cool weather gathering site fairly centrally located and convenient for the Illinois members.

Bob

Bob, it doesn't mean we can't do both. (I need to check with my "betterhalf" before I commit)

The "Feast" looks like a good time and reminds me of the "Mississinewa 1812" re-enactment.

So many things ...so little time.. :(
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:59 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote: The "Feast" looks like a good time and reminds me of the "Mississinewa 1812" re-enactment.

So many things ...so little time.. :(

The Blacksmithing and knife making is real interesting.
And it not just everywhere you can see a sheep standing patiently while his/her wool is combed ,spun ,dyed with onionskins or berrys, and knitted into a sweater. Really makes you appreciate Wally world :lol:

While there are reenactments it is really more of an up close look at early pioneer life and the skills needed just to survive. You can ask questions of the candle makers , the blacksmith , the wheelwright and the dulcimer builders and others. I imagine there are 70 to 100 trades/skills represented
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Midwest