Hoosier Winter Camping Jan 09

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Got old what's her name home from the Dentist at 9:30 and she is whining like a new born. Hell she slept thru the whole thing knocked out. My last extractions were 14 in one setting and I got to watch. :shock: She had 2 lower wisdom teeth and their molars next door ( 2 on each side) and its the end of the world :cry:

She is off till monday so a couple days of R&R and she should be good to go. So we will see but it looks like a Sat. arrival for us too , unless she get stir crazy setting at home. :?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I saw this in our local news paper. "what to do during a winter storm or extreme cold". There's a fine line here between hypothermia and normal behavior at a Hoosier Chapter Gathering.

excerpts from the article:

"eat regularly and drink ample fluids."

This seem like a normal gathering to me. First I thought it said drink "apple" fluids which you have covered with the "apple pie".

"watch for signs of hypothermia including shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incohereance, slurred speech, drowsiness, and exhaustion."

Again, this too sounds a lot like normal behavior for many of the teardroppers that I know. :) especially at the "Shivaree".

"Drink warm (non-alcoholic) beverages".

This is the only thing that made a difference between the normal behavior and the treatment for hypothermia.

Oh well, two out of three isn't too bad. :thumbsup:

But seriously; Make sure you know the difference between the symptoms of hypothermia and a normal teardrop gathering. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jarred&Misty » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Well guys, where do I start...... This week was the shits, my grandmother pasted away thursday at noon so the weekend was shot for getting things ready. The funeral was Mon at 10 and I just now got back on here to see how everything is going for everyone. The good news is that I have taken the rest of the week off to get ready for this crazy trip that we have came up with. Things are starting to come together for us. Talked to a friend yesterday about wood and pick some up off of him, already dry also. That helps....Looking for mantles for our lantern and waiting on a tarp to get here that I ordered. Putting new tires on the truck tomarrow and if everything goes as planned then we will be there around noon or after on friday. We have talked and we can handle the snow and and some low temps but we need that wind to stay away. I'm sure my grandma will be lloing down on us all, she was kinda excited for us to be going, and a little worried also, but she'll make things great for us. Well guys if I don't get on here any more I'll see ya there if the temps holds out for us, but we should be there. Have a great day.....

Jarred :thumbsup: :beer: :P :beerhat:
Jarred&Misty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Bummed to here about you're grandma Jarred, Sorry.

We should be tucked in the trees well enough to help against the wind
It's not a big camp ground and both sides are tree covered so we can camp on which ever side has the least wind.
If the baby sitters come through and roads aren't bad I'll be there Friday.

Kurt if we warm the apple pie up we'll have 3 out of 3 :lol:

Oh wait it says (non-alcoholic) beverages. oh well that blows that theory.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Jst83 wrote:
Kurt if we warm the apple pie up we'll have 3 out of 3 :lol:

Oh wait it says (non-alcoholic) beverages. oh well that blows that theory.

It also blows away the "Hot Buttered Rum" that Jim likes so much.

Jared, very sorry to hear about your Grandma. She sounds like she was a very cool lady. Did we meet her at one of the gatherings? (Salamonie)?
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Jst83 wrote:So no one is scared off yet?
Boy driving home in the blowing snow had me thinking today :thumbsup: :snowstorm:

Nope, not yet anyway. Saturday is a long way off. Roads should be cleared off by then. We may need to bring snowblowers though to clear off our camp sites. Actually that does raise a question, I wonder how much snow clearing the SP will do? Especially in the campground. So far we have about 4-5 inches of new snow here today.

We better use some common sense and see what things look like on Saturday. No point in anyone getting in a wreck trying to get there.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Tripmaker wrote:Nope, not yet anyway. Saturday is a long way off. Roads should be cleared off by then. We may need to bring snowblowers though to clear off our camp sites. Actually that does raise a question, I wonder how much snow clearing the SP will do? Especially in the campground. So far we have about 4-5 inches of new snow here today.

Not sure about clearing they are state run and Mitch probably cut that budget also.

Tripmaker wrote:We better use some common sense and see what things look like on Saturday. No point in anyone getting in a wreck trying to get there.

:thumbsup: Very true, no one should tray to make it if they feel uncomfortable. We'll see you in May
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 pm

My brother just called to find out what kind of food to bring, he's bringing vege soup. He's still planning to come and bring his pop up. (that's hard core) said he'll be pulling out of home about 8:00 Sat a.m.
:thinking: Will he make it
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

You Thurston boys sure are an adventerous bunch. :lol:

The pop up will be an interesting addition. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I say he ends up sleepin' in the stone!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 am

Well at least Sat is looking good. 28 hi 20 low all positive numbers :lol:

Got the wood loaded on my ton truck and gonna use Friday to stage up for blast off Sat early. Might get crazy and try and make breakfast who knows. Kinda depends on ol grumpy. She has slept her life away since 9:30 yesterday morning. I may never get my recliner back. She even has the dog pissed off , Sadie has had no lap time with dad in the recliner.

Friday is still looking kinda brutal hope all you 2 nighters thaw out by Sat. A.M.

Got some pics of the new and improved neich installed and working.
Got them back yesterday , I will try and scan them into my album and post them later.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Is it Friday yet, Bob I'll be thawed If it gets to cold I'll go inside and set on the couch and watch a movie, (just me no kids crawling all over me :oops: I'm sorry that wasn't nice) Everything else is gutted out but I've still got the futon and 1 outlet. :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby prohandyman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Man - too bad we are not there tonight - going to be around neg 8 degrees. I have the heat on in the "lodge". It is about 68 right now.
Are we nuts or what??
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:19 pm

prohandyman wrote:Are we nuts or what??

Most people I've talked to seem to think we are :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:18 pm