INDIANA GATHERINGS FOR 2009

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Can I vote for heavy shade in August. I would have killed for a big lovely tree at Madison.

Of course I live in a fish bowl. :oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:38 pm

bobhenry wrote:Can I vote for heavy shade in August. I would have killed for a big lovely tree at Madison.

Of course I live in a fish bowl. :oops:

Bob, If we do "Mounds State Park" in August, I've just the place for you.

**Keep this in mind - reserve any site #4 thru #16 (I have #10). These are all shady sites along the woods.

I heard that they are selling pieces of the "Hoosier Dome" roof material. I wonder if it would help? :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 am

I like the idea of a no power camp out. Anyone know of a state forest with primitive campgrounds? I used to camp in Hoosier State Forest but they have limited the camping sites to one or two vehicles at each parking location. I think Yellowood S.F. has primitive sites. If we camp in a primitive area I would suggest doing so in cooler weather. No modern facilities means no showers. :roll:

You guys will have to make sure your cast iron waffle irons are seasoned and ready to go if we have no 110.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 am

Tripmaker wrote:I like the idea of a no power camp out. Anyone know of a state forest with primitive campgrounds?

Here's one

Here's another

and another one

Question- What is the difference between "Primitive" and "No Power"?

The lack of showers would shorten the trip for me.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Indiana Gatherings 2009 (suggestions)

Postby Rick & Leona » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 am

Indiana Gatherings 2009 (suggestions):
Mounds is a great place to picnic or hike (great trails) but I know the campsites book up fast. (We never could get in there.)

We like McCormick's Creek & Racoon Lake for camping.

Another good one is Whitewater. Whitewater has a nice campgrounds, a beach for swimming and there's a boat launch and boat rental.

Turkey Run is beautiful and has great hiking trails.

We're up for anything. Keep us posted.

Rick & Leona
Last edited by Rick & Leona on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick & Leona
Rick & Leona
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:39 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Question- What is the difference between "Primitive" and "No Power"?

According to Indiana State Parks Primative = No power and pit toilets. Some Indiana parks used to have sites with no power but modern facilities. I don't know if they still have them or not.

MY definition of primitive is no power, no water, no facilities. You bring your own water and a bucket or dig a hole. If any one is up for that I know of a site for a small group on a lake just north of Columbia City that might be available.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:

This is exactly why this experiment will be fun !

I have a shower tent and a shower head and it is fitted to a hose that clamps to my 12 volt water pump. So bring 50' of black hose for your water heater and you can borrow my shower!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Question- What is the difference between "Primitive" and "No Power"?

I'd be all for a no power one I haven't used my lantern in a while.
But I'd have to second the need for modern restrooms. There's a reason I wasn't born in the old west :lol:

But I'd be up for anything that's decided upon :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Jst83 wrote:

I'd be all for a no power one I haven't used my lantern in a while.
But I'd have to second the need for modern restrooms. There's a reason I wasn't born in the old west :lol:

Oh for God's sakes kick Kurt out of the shower tent and you can borrow my porta potty too.

Maybe this won't be such a good idea with all you girl scouts :thinking:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:39 pm

bobhenry wrote: Maybe this won't be such a good idea with all you girl scouts :thinking:

Be nice :lol: I've used trees and holes and about everything else for that matter. and the no shower I can get along fine.
But I'd have to get one of those high rise handicap seats and a 5 gal bucket cause I'd be affraid that once I got down onto the porta potty I'd never get stood back up and someone would have to come get me :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:55 pm

If we only had an understanding landowner with a big woods we
could lash up a fanny rest for a hand dug slit trench latrine and saw off a conveniently located small branch for a toilet paper holder. Don't forget a 3 lb empty coffee can to cover the tp if it rains. Bring a big pan to warm up the "bath" water and a washcloth and a bar of soap ( Lava if you are a real man) and your towel. Now you are ready to scrub the stinkey parts and the rest can wait.

At Salamonie I told John Spratt about my 1st boy scout experience without power. Our Scout master Ed Forester (no kidding) asked us Scouts to find him a tree that had been hit by lightning. We scattered 4 - 5 directions and were to report back in 5 - 10 minutes. Well a tree WAS located ( Probably an old elm with blight) . The top was ratty and blasted out so Mr Forester said that it indeed had sustained a lightning strike. After his speach to convince us he pulled out his hunting knife and carved 2 small slits in the tree trunk and from a pouch he then produced his electric razor. He inserted the power cord into the 2 slots that had been carved, turned on his razor and started to shave to the total and absolute amazement of 10 - 12 of us 1st year scouts.

That reminds me bring extra batteries . ( for your razor too ? )
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Jst83 wrote: I'd have to get one of those high rise handicap seats and a 5 gal bucket cause I'd be affraid that once I got down onto the porta potty I'd never get stood back up and someone would have to come get me :lol:

A seven gallon bucket is 18" tall the exact height of a handicap stool.

If I look real hard I know I have a handicap rail in the mini barn somewhere if you think it will help !

:thinking:

They must have been thinking of all you senior citizens :lol:

To set levity aside I did have to block up the little Therford about 6" to make it more user friendly when we were without water for a couple weeks last August.
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:36 pm

bobhenry wrote:If we only had an understanding landowner with a big woods

:thinking: How scary I'd never thought about it, I know such a person They own there own park with a shelter house. All primitive. Not used by the public, plenty big. Don't know about digging the pit but there is an old out house, not sure if it's functional anymore but They might let us meet there for free. Can't guarantee they'd go for it and there's not a lot to do but hang out, there is a river for fishing.
I grew up with them playing in the woods that surround it and, so they might

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Scott : We could offer to go as a work party if there is deadfall to clean up. We would have firewood and they could have a cleaner woods. God knows I could use the exercise. A great way to work off a meal or keep warm. Not a bad location except for the south west guys but hey if its free or real reasonable thats more $ for the gas tank. This might be just the ticket. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:23 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Kurt (Indiana) wrote:

This is exactly why this experiment will be fun !

I have a shower tent and a shower head and it is fitted to a hose that clamps to my 12 volt water pump. So bring 50' of black hose for your water heater and you can borrow my shower!

Bob, shortening the trip doesn't mean limiting it to one night. It just means that three day is probably all I want to bear. ( or all the Bears want to bear)

I'm pretty much "game" for anything, if you know what I mean. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest