INDIANA GATHERINGS FOR 2009

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

INDIANA GATHERINGS FOR 2009

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 am

Please forgive me if I am oversteping my
bounds by starting this thread but I needed a place
to plant a seed to see if it would grow.

Jeff ( Nitrous junkie) and I were yakin on the land line last week
and we stumbled over the topic of a no power gathering. Yep
wood fired coffee pots and wood fired microwaves ( they used
to call them dutch ovens ) . The value of 12 volt battery backup
systems would come to the forefront. A few brave hearth souls
would have to stock up on "D" batterys for the flash lights
and grab a couple water jugs and your porta potty and
experience primative camping. I mentioned in the conversation
with Jeff that I know of a campground need Veedersburg
that has extremely low over night rates ( 7.00 or was last year).
I could probably wrangle a group rate but this idea could be
carried out at any good mom and pop campground with a
primative section. If tomorrow was the day after a major
natural event and you couldn't plug in ,would you like to
have previous experience at minimalistic camping
in your rig ???

JUST ANOTHER DUMB THOUGHT ??

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Bob that idea sounds like my usual camping outings as my Jim Dandy so far has only one 12 volt light inside and no 110 at all! The idea sounds like a good opportunity for everyone to have more time to gather around a deck of cards or to play a game of corn hole etc..

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:41 pm

:thumbsup: That's sort of funny you should bring that up I was thinking the same thing it's been a while since I've even used my propane lantern.
I'd be game.
Let's see let me throw this out there Cause I sort of Love the idea and I might kill 2 birds (not literally) with one stone
Kurt and I are narrowing down the May and Fall locations for the gathering, and we're working with Galen for a joint gathering with the Buckeye Chapter in Aug around the first week of Aug.

Let me get right to my thoughts, Greenfield has a pretty decent fair parade in July and I was thinking as we watched it last year "What this parade needs is some Teardrops" I think it would be cool to pull mine with anyone that wanted to join me. You move slow enough that you could prop the doors open and people could ride inside and throw candy. Mines wide enough we could strap the banner on the front.

If we had the gathering in July at the heartland campground here in Greenfield (they have a primitive section over the river) we could attend the parade Sunday and show off a little.

We could have the January gathering at McCormick"s Creek state park which is the next closest for every one.

Thought?

Love the idea Bob, and I saw someone at the park today that looked just like you it was scary

:lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby prohandyman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:04 pm

All good ideas guys. But I have a suggestion - once a gathering has been scheduled - move it to its own thread so one doesn't have to wade thru all the general discussion just to find out info regarding a specific gathering! 8) What is the latest on the Shiveree?
By the way, haven't even finished the '47 rebuild and have somewhat started reworking the frame for # 4! I'm sick, I know it! :?
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Yep it's a sickness, I've got to work inside mine before January. It has no insulation in the ceiling anymore.

The good thing about one continually running thread is after it's started they make it a sticky and it stay's at the top and we normally only talk about the next gathering to come up until it's done then we start talking about the next one.

OK I'm gonna make a call McCormicks Creek state park, Saturday January 17th 2009

P.S. Amy said we should make the January Gathering the primitive one,
She's so funny
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Jst83 wrote:Yep it's a sickness, I've got to work inside mine before January. It has no insulation in the ceiling anymore.

The good thing about one continually running thread is after it's started they make it a sticky and it stay's at the top and we normally only talk about the next gathering to come up until it's done then we start talking about the next one.

OK I'm gonna make a call McCormicks Creek state park, Saturday January 17th 2009

P.S. Amy said we should make the January Gathering the primitive one,
She's so funny

Scott, McCormick's Creek is a good location. Before our "Tearjerkers" group was formed, a bunch of us stayed there. It rained all weekend so I really didn't get to appreciate it very much.

It could be good for a Spring gathering as well as the "Shiveree". :thumbsup:

It has both "Primative" and electric sites.

Maybe the "Spring Gathering" should always follow the "Shiveree" like you guys did at Brown County.

McCormick's Creek web site
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Maybe the "Spring Gathering" should always follow the "Shiveree" like you guys did at Brown County.

McCormick's Creek web site

We can recon the campground and find the best sites for the gathering :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Jst83 wrote:: I saw someone at the park today that looked just like you it was scary

:lol:

God help the poor fool :worship:

July without a/c :?

A shivaree with out an AC heater :cry:

You are both sick people you 2 deserve each other :lol:

McCormick's creek :thumbsup:

God emoticons sure save typeing :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:

Maybe the "Spring Gathering" should always follow the "Shiveree" like you guys did at Brown County.

We only get the chance at 3 or 4 good gatherings a year and there are 20 - 25 good state parks within 75 miles of Indy it seems a shame to have repeats in the same season. Vic and I are new to teardrop camping and would like to see ALL the parks. I am sure some are better than others but the gatherings are measured in friends old and new. We could be happy in a large pasture with good friends and good food and conversation. The rotation idea I suggested is the fairest way to ease the driving burden on all of us. I am in now way complaining I have been to each and every one and intend to be attending the next 10 to 20 so go where you will and "old what's her name" and I will be there. Thanks to all who work to make the gatherings a great experience year after year :applause:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:37 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Kurt (Indiana) wrote:

We only get the chance at 3 or 4 good gatherings a year and there are 20 - 25 good state parks within 75 miles of Indy it seems a shame to have repeats in the same season. Vic and I are new to teardrop camping and would like to see ALL the parks. I am sure some are better than others but the gatherings are measured in friends old and new. We could be happy in a large pasture with good friends and good food and conversation. The rotation idea I suggested is the fairest way to ease the driving burden on all of us. I am in now way complaining I have been to each and every one and intend to be attending the next 10 to 20 so go where you will and "old what's her name" and I will be there. Thanks to all who work to make the gatherings a great experience year after year :applause:

Bob, I'm not familiar with all of them but, how about if we all throw in Park names to a suggestion box and then we can choose from the list. This way there won't be repeats.

Since I've never seen McCormick's Creek in good weather I don't know the ideal areas for a gathering.
Combining the Shivree as a "campout/scout out" gathering did make some sense.

Here is a map of all Indiana Parks so we can get a feel for what's out there.

I want to get down to Mounds State Park in Anderson this week and check it out.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:32 am

I guess my only question is ..............

Is it fair to ask you to drive 130 miles to McCormicks creek 2 times in a row???

Vic and I will be happy to scout parks on the West side of the state on the Weekends. We can take her digital camera and get some shots for investigative purposes.

North make it easier for Jim and South makes it easier for mark and west makes it easier for Rob and East makes it easier for you (Kurt) and Jared. If we rotate we can all enjoy the gatherings and share the burden and expense of the drive.

I'll set down and shut up now

:oops:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:46 am

On a seperate note The feast of the hunters moon is (ironically) October 10th and 11th for 2009. Prophets town state park is about 12 miles away and shuttle bus service is available at Purdue University about 4 miles away. There is not a lot to offer at Indiana's newest state park but by combining the feast with the fall gathering it might prove real interesting. To anyone who has never been to "the feast" it is a step back in time that is about as real as it gets. Look up "feast of the hunters moon" on the web and it will give you a fantastic overview of this annual fall festival.

Bob
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:07 am

Jst83 wrote:, I've got to work inside mine before January. It has no insulation in the ceiling anymore.

Now you may understand why we had to leave the shivaree last year. Them when you heat the frost that forms on the inside , it starts to rain.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 am

bobhenry wrote:Now you may understand why we had to leave the shivaree last year. Them when you heat the frost that forms on the inside , it starts to rain.

I fully understand, I've atleast got plywood roof. I know you had to be cold.

I gutted to put cabinets in the front and move the A/C down to floor leval to slide out into a tounge box.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Just got back from Mounds State Park (Anderson, IN). This is very nice park and would make a great place for a gathering.

The electric sites #1 thru #16 as well as # 39 thru #52 are all near the shower house. #1-#16 have the best shade since they are next to the woods.

There is a boat launch for us canoers and Kayakers and tons of trails to explore in the area.
The "Mounds" are very interesting and are thousands of years old.

I think this would be a good one for August (or October).
The ranger said that it will fill up extremely fast so what ever (and whenever) we decide, we can reserve six months in advance. She highly recommended reserving as soon as we know the dates.

Electric Sites
Property Map

We haven't talked much about next year's schedule (aside from the "Shiveree") but this week or next, I will be sending out a Gathering schedule so we can all look it over.

Send in any suggested sites for the Gatherings.

Raccoon Lake looks promising also.

Although I always like to see the potential campgrounds in person, I would sure accept any one else's review if you happen to venture near any State Campground or Park. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Next

Return to Midwest