"Raccoon Lake" Hoosier Chapter Gathering May 2009

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Jst83 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 pm

bobhenry wrote:probably overloaded with teardrops :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta be it, everyone trying to get in at the last minute. We've been trying to tell them what fun we have.

We've got another Jeff from Indy just haven't been able to confirm him or a site.

Look someone posted while I was typing this
:lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:
Jst83 wrote:We're up to 32

We may need a wide angle lens for the group shot. :applause:
.I've got on in my old 35mm set up, I'd probably have to dust it off :oops:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Jst83 wrote:I've got on in my old 35mm set up, I'd probably have to dust it off :oops:

I plan to bring my video camera that I use for shooting underwater video. It has a wide angle lens but don't know how well the pics would turn out. I usually use it below 100'. :?

These were taken off video I shot and are not the best but it's dark down there in lake Huron. :shock:

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Jst83 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:These were taken off video I shot and are not the best but it's dark down there in lake Huron. :shock:

I so want to do that.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ERV » Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 am

Scott
Got the tear all packed last night. Going to put the canoe and bikes on tonight, plan on leaving early thurs. morning. The question I have is, should I try and bring fire wood? I see there is a big fine if you do. Over here the parks don't seem to be doing anything. Been out 3 times and they don't even look. Is there a place close to the park to get some? I know it would be nice not to haul it that far with gas going back up. Let me know if I can just pick it up there some where. Thanks, Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 13, 2009 6:59 am

ERV wrote:Scott
Got the tear all packed last night. Going to put the canoe and bikes on tonight, plan on leaving early thurs. morning. The question I have is, should I try and bring fire wood? I see there is a big fine if you do. Over here the parks don't seem to be doing anything. Been out 3 times and they don't even look. Is there a place close to the park to get some? I know it would be nice not to haul it that far with gas going back up. Let me know if I can just pick it up there some where. Thanks, Erv

Here are the bad counties in the region. If you know the species of wood it will help and as long as your county is not in the quarantine you may bring in wood. Just to avoid the hassle I do tend to bury mine under the other camping junk. I do know all of mine is birch and sassafrass so no elm is being mover in and that info helps to calm the parks concerns.

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/MultiState_EABpos.pdf
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TimJones » Wed May 13, 2009 6:59 am

why risk a big fine? leave Ohio firewood in Ohio!
Tim and Judy
------------------------
TimJones
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 13, 2009 7:11 am

TimJones wrote:why risk a big fine? leave Ohio firewood in Ohio!

As to a big fine all I have heard is they confiscate any questionable wood.

It is pretty obvious if the firewood has 1/4 to 3/8 holes in it it is very suspect. The rangers came around at Salamonie and checked what was stacked by the fire but I heard no reports of problems. They all know we are there to have a good time and are simply trying to protect the park so it will be just as pretty and green next year so we can do it again.

Here is probably more than you want to know about it ....http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/3443.htm

Here is what you NEED to know....http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/sp-EAB_FAQ_12_08.pdf

oops just read the fine print ....Kosciusko, LaGrange, Marion, Monroe, Noble, Porter,
Randolph, St. Joseph, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, White and
Whitley. Firewood may not be brought from Michigan, Ohio or
Illinois or f
rom parts of Pennsylvania(Butler, Lawrence,
Allegheny, Beaver, Mercer Counties), Prince George’s County
in Maryland, Fayette County, West Virginia and Fairfax County,
Virginia. There are some limited exceptions (see back page.)
• Burn all of your firewood when you camp. Do not leave
it for other campers, regardless of its source or species.
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tripmaker » Wed May 13, 2009 7:19 am

We have a cancellation. :cry: Tom & Laurie will not make it. Tom flew over the handlebars of a 4-wheeler and broke his shoulder. Then since he is off work anyway, he decided to have his hernia repaired. The end result is he is a walking train wreck and will be resting at home this weekend. :O
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 13, 2009 7:24 am

Tripmaker wrote:We have a cancellation. :cry: Tom & Laurie will not make it. Tom flew over the handlebars of a 4-wheeler and broke his shoulder. Then since he is off work anyway, he decided to have his hernia repaired. The end result is he is a walking train wreck and will be resting at home this weekend. :O

MAN ....... and he was a sure thing for the "hard luck award"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 am

Tripmaker wrote:We have a cancellation. :cry: Tom & Laurie will not make it. Tom flew over the handlebars of a 4-wheeler and broke his shoulder. Then since he is off work anyway, he decided to have his hernia repaired. The end result is he is a walking train wreck and will be resting at home this weekend. :O

What??? Sorry to hear that; and he's going to pass up the chance at Sausage gravy & Bisuits and the Hot Buttered Rum? :thinking: :roll:

That is a real shame and it has to hurt. :cry:

I sure hope he recovers for the Chain of Lakes gathering. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby ERV » Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 am

I guess I will leave it home even though it is all oak and maple. I'll just look around when I get close and find someone selling it there. It will help on the gas milage too. See you all sometime tomorrow. Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 am

ERV wrote:I guess I will leave it home even though it is all oak and maple. I'll just look around when I get close and find someone selling it there. It will help on the gas milage too. See you all sometime tomorrow. Erv

Or tell them ya bought it down the road :MLAS
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby sid » Wed May 13, 2009 6:24 pm

They sell firewood at the camp store there...... 8) or so the brochure says.....
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:39 pm

I've been over that way a few times this spring and I'm sure I passed a few signs that have wood for sell. There always tends to be a few outside the parks and they've probably got better prices than inside the park
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest