"Raccoon Lake" Hoosier Chapter Gathering May 2009

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:57 pm

We just got back from the East Coast (New Jersey). Nice place but I don't miss the traffic and the prices. (and I wouldn't want to live there - again)

Gas, however, was only $1.39 at the "full service" pump. "Full service" includes taking my credit card, opening the gas cap, inserting the pump, and extracting the pump, and giving me my card with a reciept. Wow, I felt so privalidged and important. To heck with the oil, windshield, tires, etc.
Actually, the fear of "Drive-offs" most likely prompted the "full service" attendants.

It does make me curious how they can sell gas for $.30 to$.40 cheaper with two attendants pumping gas, while in Indiana, it's more expensive. :roll: :thinking:

Oh well, I didn't complain about the price.

If all goes well, I'll get up to "Chain of Lakes" soon so I can check out the camping area for the Summer Gathering. :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is getting off to a good start this year. :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 am

Kurt, you get back and I leave for NY on Wednesday for 5 days to pick up my MIL otherwise known as "The Broom". :roll: Fortunately I only have to go as far east as Big Flats which is nestled between Horseheads and Painted Post. I'm sure everyone knows where that is :lol:

Two weeks till the Shivaree! I'm planning on bringing Caribbean Red Beans and Rice (Kurt I can provide rice for the gumbo as well) and the fixins to make sausage gravy for breakfast Sunday morning. Bob H said he has us covered on the biscuits. If there is anything else I should bring let me know.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy NY!

Jim
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:54 am

Tripmaker wrote:.....as far east as Big Flats which is nestled between Horseheads and Painted Post. I'm sure everyone knows where that is :lol:

Two weeks till the Shivaree! I'm planning on bringing Caribbean Red Beans and Rice (Kurt I can provide rice for the gumbo as well) and the fixins to make sausage gravy for breakfast Sunday morning. B

You know...when I lived there the names didn't sound that funny but now it does. :lol: :rofl2: :laughter: What the heck were they thinking :thinking: :roll:

Thanks for bring the rice, I'll bring a "steaming pile" of Gumbo. :thumbsup:
Have a safe trip.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Here is a great site for Campground reviews :(all over the country)

The one I'm looking at is for Raccoon Lake.

Looks like the favorite area is "Raccoon Run" loop which is where our gathering will be held in may. :thumbsup
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:42 am

Welcome Back kurt, Glad you had a safe trip.
Can't wait to hear your take on Chain O Lakes.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 am

This thread has sure taken a backseat to the Frostbite Follies. :)

Was P.M.ed by Indy Tom and he is trying to get it together and have a rig at least campable for the May gathering. Hope we are able to reach our 50+ trailer goal :thumbsup:

I hope this brutal cold moves out so at least Saturday will be somewhat enjoyable for the Shivaree. Hell we might not survive for the May gathering. :shock:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:28 am

That would put us up to 18. We're way ahead of schedule for a record.

Like you said Bob, I hope we don't lose anyone from the "Shivaree". :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Jst83 wrote:That brings us up to 17 and counting. :applause:

Now that we have a good group shaping up, it's time to start thinking of things like a schedule , a menu, and activities for the Raccoon Lake gathering.

I know we had several kayakers and canoers in the group so Raccoon lake will be fun for them.

A new activity (suggested by Jim (Tripmaker)) will be introduced at the gathering.

It's called "geo-caching" and is somewhat of an Electronic scavenger hunt.
I've never done it before but there are "targets" to find all over the USA that provide a fun time for those trying to locate them.

As we approach the May 15th weekend, there will be more conversation regarding this activity.

Feel free to chime in with questions or comments.

Any suggestions for "Movie Night" or any special "cook-off" ideas (chili, soup, desert, burgers, etc. ) would be appreciated. This could be part of the "Pot Luck" dinner on Saturday.

Let us know of anything that comes to mind that will make the May gathering the best one yet. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 am

Most geo-caches are a container of somekind that contain a log of those that have found the cache, and several treasures. The size of the cache can range from a coffee can or small amo can to a waterproof match container. The treasures are worthless trinkets that get moved from one cache to another. You sign the log and say something like "took skull and left Captain Marvel decoder ring"

The fun is in finding the cache. The GPS gets you to within about 20 feet of the cache and from there you work on clues. Working in small groups you only need one GPS so no one should have to run out and buy a GPS.

Visit http://www.geocaching.com/ for more info. It appears there are several hundred thousand of these things located around the world.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby josephhanson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 am

Geocaching is fun. You get to use some billion dollar equipment to find some worthless trinkets.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby TimJones » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:15 am

I have 3 basic gps units that I will bring with me. Using one for myself I will have two that used by anyone that wants to try some geo finds. Thanks, for bringing this fun activity to the group. Jim will you get some nearby geo finds together if you want I will help with this. maybe we could
put out some just for this event.
Tim
Tim and Judy
------------------------
TimJones
Teardrop Master

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:46 am

josephhanson wrote:Geocaching is fun. You get to use some billion dollar equipment to find some worthless trinkets.

That's hitting the nail on the head! :lol: :lol: :lol: The government has spent billions sending rockets and satelites into space just so we can find junk.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 am

Tripmaker wrote:
josephhanson wrote:Geocaching is fun. You get to use some billion dollar equipment to find some worthless trinkets.

That's hitting the nail on the head! :lol: :lol: :lol: The government has spent billions sending rockets and satelites into space just so we can find junk.

That's your tax dollars at works. :thumbsup: Compare that to what's happening today with our tax dollars. :thumbdown:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 am

TimJones wrote:I have 3 basic gps units that I will bring with me. Using one for myself I will have two that used by anyone that wants to try some geo finds. Thanks, for bringing this fun activity to the group. Jim will you get some nearby geo finds together if you want I will help with this. maybe we could
put out some just for this event.
Tim

I'd be willing to bet there are several already located at Raccoon SRA that we can use. When we get closer I'll get the info on them and have copies to bring. It would be fun to hide some of our own when the weather gets nicer. For those of you who don't know, I'm in the tax business so I'm pretty busy from now till 4/15. I could meet someone down there after 4/15 or perhaps some Sunday before then to hide some.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Mark72 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 pm

I think It would be fun to leave teardrop related trinkets with the url to this sight to draw in people who haven't heard of us yet!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest