CNTL 4 ??

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Do you want to change the date for CNTL 4 or let it ride ??

Poll ended at Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:00 pm

4/23-25/2010 like in the past
62%
4/30 - 5/2/2010
23%
5/14-16/2010
15%

Total votes : 13

CNTL 4 ??

Postby pigcooker » Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm

To all who attended CNTL3; We heard it more then once. " We gotta change weekends, too cold and wet". What is your opinion??? :thinking: Doug & Nan :thumbdown: :thumbsup:
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 pm

It's part of its character that we get cold. To me it is the start of the season. To go later is to go up against college students graduating and people getting ready for summer. It is what it is called.

It is also getting big even though the weather has not historically been great. Hold it later and it may become unmanagebly big and start eliminating people unless we move to someplace with even more room.

I like it like it is.

I though would certainly not object to adding "Warmer by the Lake" held in July.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby cs_whypt2 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 am

We could have Cooler Near The Lake when we actually want to be cooler. Because no matter when you camp there, it is going to be cooler then the surrounding areas.

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby TLC » Tue May 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Two years of cold and rain is enough for me. I'm all for moving it to where the chances are better at having a dry and warm weekend.
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Newbie with the temerity to venture an opinion

Postby tearhead » Tue May 26, 2009 8:09 pm

We now have a tear (though we didn't until recently, and seriously considered coming by on your rainy weekend) and will definitley try to make 2010. But later is nicer, IMHO. The proposed dates are all okay, but later is better than earlier, for us.

Pat (Whitewater, WI)
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

camping

Postby tjx » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm

The 4th weekend in April is good for us. :)

We've been to Kohler 2 times now (beautiful park, scenery and great host) and thought it would be nice to move on to another destination along the lake front. Span new horizons, perferably one with no snow :snow in the parking lot or else Jack and Nancy will have to bring that snowblower with them. :lol:
Someone had mentioned Illinois Beach or even some county parks along the lakefront in Wisconsin.
We are always up for new adventures.

jerry and tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 am

We have greatly enjoyed all 3 Coolers. Here's a bit of history for those who are "new" to Cooler and a refresher for us "oldies."

Brwbier proposed the first gathering (kudos to you, Bob! :applause: ), and what started as the Eastern Wisconsin Campout, quickly took on a life of its own, soon becoming Cooler Near the Lake.

Early on, there was mention of moving it around, but keeping it in the same general area (Eastern Wisconsin - focus on the Lake), which is still okay by us. We tossed around locations (Kohler, Cliffside, Bong, somewhere in Door County) before finally settling on Cliffside for the first, then Kohler for the second (and third).

As far as the date, that, too, was tossed around, with pros & cons for each proposed date. Conflicts in May (Mother's Day, National Home Brew Day, Memorial Day), then June (ITG2), pushed the optimal date, at the time, back to the end of April.

Which brings us to where we are at now... I think the date is okay...we've talked about this one being the "Teardrop Season Opener" and although it makes for the possibility of unpredictible weather, there's no guarantee the weather will be any better in May.

Regardless of the weather or location, we will probably be at Cooler 4, unless the date should change, then we'd have to check the calendar.

That said...let the talks continue... :D

Betsey 8)
Last edited by Betsey on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed May 27, 2009 8:42 pm

I hate the cold and rain. But that said I had a real good time the last two years in the cold, the wind and the rain. I will be at the 4th Cooler where ever it is. I agree with Betsey that there is no real guarantee that the weather will be better if it's moved a few weeks later. If it should be moved I would want a place with a similar shelter as a gathering place. The weekend would have been a waste without the shelter to get together in.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby packerz4 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I hate the cold and rain. But that said I had a real good time the last two years in the cold, the wind and the rain. I will be at the 4th Cooler where ever it is. I agree with Betsey that there is no real guarantee that the weather will be better if it's moved a few weeks later. If it should be moved I would want a place with a similar shelter as a gathering place. The weekend would have been a waste without the shelter to get together in.

Actually Doug didn't mention moving the location. Just the date of the outing. Kohler Andrae works well, especially with the shelter. It also works well cuz Bob (Brwbeir) stops out there and reserves the shelter and takes care of those details etc.

Anyway, I think the general feeling is why don't we just try a week or 2 later than we've been trying. Give the park a little time to green up and dry out a little bit? We make our reservations early enough that we should be able to get the electrical sites reserved easily... we just need to plan ahead.

my $.02

Tam
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Cooler 4

Postby Muskrat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:37 pm

We like the same weekend in April as a kick-off to the camping season. We enjoy Kohler, however if the location is moved further south or near an inland lake, the weather might be a bit warmer (and we won't have to bring a snowblower). Also a location with a similar shelter in case of rainy/cold weather.

Jack & Nancy
Muskrat
Teardrop Builder

Postby Betsey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 pm

packerz4 wrote:
Anyway, I think the general feeling is why don't we just try a week or 2 later than we've been trying.

Well, as I mentioned before, as the first Saturday in May is National Home Brew day, that weekend has been out for Bob, the founder of CNTL. The second Sunday in May is typically Mother's Day, which we have also tried avoiding for a gathering. The 3rd weekend is a possiblity...the last weekend is Memorial Day, which I would avoid at all costs. :o

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 am

I think it is time to start a search. Everyone should check their area for a suitable campground with a shelter. Pictures, descriptions and directions so others could go and see it would help. Which weekend should not be set in stone but we do have a poll as a guide. I don't think it has to be next to Lake Michigan, anything larger than a pond would do. I do prefer where it has been only because its close for me and for the shelter. And just so you know, as far as weekends go around here, that one was about average. Right now the wind is from the north east and it is 48 degrees and only about 2 weeks till summer. So get out there and do some camping and come back with some ideas.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elmo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:27 am

I personally like Kohler. It has all the things we are looking for to have a good gathering. If it wasn't for the shelter I may have a different thought, but it has enough room to hold us all and room for growth.

I kind of like the current time frame we have now...the odds of having better weather may go up, but yesterday was rainy and 46 here.
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

CNTL4 Poll is over

Postby pigcooker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks to those attendees that voted, over 60% want to keep the time frame the same. SOOOOOOO....... Should we all start making our 2010 CNTL4 reservations ??? The last weekend in April, as in the past.
4/23-25/2010 are the dates. Sorry if I stepped on anybodys toes.
Doug :oops:
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Doug,

I for one am glad that you made us think about what we want. It will just make next year that much more pleasureable, especially if it is cold rotten weather again.

Thank you, :applause:
Gary

I'm sending in my reservation now.
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Return to Midwest