Help on title & Reg...

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Help on title & Reg...

Postby Pottercounty » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Can any Indiana builders give advice on titling/plates for homebuilt bought in Ohio? Where do I begin?

Thank you,

Tim
best, Tim

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Pottercounty
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Tim,

I found this about Indiana, whata ya think?

First you need to have a police inspection of the trailer verifying there are no Vehicle VIN nnumbers on it. The police will fill out a form that they will have on hand.
Then you take to the BMV the following:
1) The form from the Police officer
2) Side view picture of the trailer
3) Bill of sale for the trailer (it is homemade, you need receipts to back up the fact that you made it yourself, if it was purchased, then you need to fill out an affidavit at the BMV stating that no parts purchased)
Then they will send all this information to Indianapolis. Which will then send you a letter with new VIN numbers. Then you do the following:
1) You will place those numbers on the trailer(stamped into trailer)
2) Get the police department to your place to verify that the numbers Indianapolis gave you is stamped into trailer.
3) Bring the letter from Indianapolis and the police inspection back to the BMV office where they will begin to process your title and registration.
You cost will vary depending on trailer
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Pottercounty » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Thank you, Steve! I knew there had to be a few hoops
involved.....

best, Tim
best, Tim

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Pottercounty
The 300 Club

Postby prohandyman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Tim
Steve is spot on with his findings. I have done both purchased and built and these are exactly the guidelines. Although, some officers do not carry the forms - pick them up at the BMV to be safe.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Help on title & Reg...

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I know this is an old post, but... Do you wait until you are completely done building your teardrop or start the process when you get your trailer frame done?

I bought a popup as scrap, tore it completely down to the frame and modified it. Don't see a VIN anywhere.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:I know this is an old post, but... Do you wait until you are completely done building your teardrop or start the process when you get your trailer frame done?

I bought a popup as scrap, tore it completely down to the frame and modified it. Don't see a VIN anywhere.

The VIN is often on the front passenger side tongue rail. On mine, it was about a foot behind where it went into the receiver. Mine was covered with several coats of paint, and was only exposed by sandblasting. Often wire wheels will work too. Mine was on the top also.. not the side.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby josephhanson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm

In Indiana it would be best to get your title while you have a flat trailer. You can get a utility trailer title which will be cheaper than an RV trailer title and plate.
That's my experience.
If you have a title from your pop-up you could check with the DMV and see what the tax and plates will cost. If they aren't bad, just keep it titled that way.
I have a 63' BeeLine trailer that is down to the frame, when I'm done, it will be a new "home built" but will be titled as a 63' BeeLine.
Hope this helps,
Joe
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Interesting. I just bought a 1960 Beeline this week. The teardrop is on hold while I restore it.

Mikey
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby josephhanson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 pm

My BeeLine won't be a restore, I've torn it down to the frame and am starting from there. The walls and floor were totally rotted away. The trailer was also too tall. I'm trying to keep it in the airstream of my truck (mostly).
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Return to Midwest