Indiana trailer registration

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Indiana trailer registration

Postby Newman39Fan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:20 pm

I assume that Indiana is like most places, but you know what you get when you ass-u-me. I plan of getting a 4X8 HF trailer for my TD build. I am pretty sure I should register this with DMV first before my build? Also do I need a police inspection, or is the sale paperwork from HF enough to get the paperwork complete?

Thanks for your help
Newman39Fan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

You will receive a certificate of origin at HF for the unit. It will be all you need. Register it as a light weight utility trailer. If you have it rolling you might wish to drag it up to the DMV with you just in case they get anal and want a look.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rladams39 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I never had any problems tagging my trailer. It was an Old camper frame, stripped to the main rails, No title.
I just applied for an MVIN, was never ask what i was going to use it for,
Also my brother in law has his popup plated as trail 3.
I dont think indian much cares as long as they are getting there money... LOL
rladams39
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:55 pm

:lol: Mine's on an old pop up frame also still title to this day as a 1988 Rockwood.

In Indiana teardrops are considered utility trailers to be a camper one has to be able to live in it, meaning it has a kitchen and a bathroom or at least portajohn. So a popup is considered a trailer because it has no bathroom in it unless it's a higher end pop up. That's just what the BMV told me when I was in there.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Midwest