Aluminum cleaner/polish

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Aluminum cleaner/polish

Postby Rick & Leona » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Does anyone know of a good (and hopefully easy) cleaner for aluminum teardrops? We have some oxidation and black marks we are trying to get off our teardrop. It just looks dull and dirty.
Rick & Leona
Rick & Leona
Teardrop Advisor

Postby planovet » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:13 pm

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby prohandyman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Rick
The last one I did I used a SS cleaner and pad, sold by Scotchbrite, made for SS appliances. Seemed to do a good job, then I wiped entire surface with WD40.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:33 am

I just polished up our aluminum bike rack using polishing compound. What you are doing is essentially using very fine abrasive to flatten out the natural/unnatural finish of the aluminum. What we used to do to polish metal samples for microscopic examination was progressively finer grades of sandpaper moving into polishing compounds ending with a 1 micron finish diamonds paste. What you're doing is needless to say much simpler and a great deal less expensive. Depending on what you use you can come up with a mirror finish, or something less than. What I used for the bike rack was polishing compound sticks that I got from Harbor Freight and a cloth polishing wheel.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Midwest