Cooler Near The Lake V

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Cooler Near The Lake V

Postby BrwBier » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm

As I pack my teardrop away for the winter I remember some conversations I had at the camp inn camp out. Next year the weekend we have traditionally had cooler near the lake turns out to be Easter. I would like to propose moving it to the last weekend in April which is the 29, 30 and 1st of May. I am a little prejudice on the location because it works well and is only 6 miles from home. It does not have to be set in stone so it is open to suggestions. There are many months to finalize plans but it is fun to think about over the winter. Tell all your friends, lets make it best yet.
Brwbier
COOLER NEAR THE LAKE V APRIL 29 TO MAY1, 2011
Just moving the list up to page 1
Here is who is coming so far;

Doug & Nan #16
Steve #10
Pat & Mark #17
Dennis & Cheryl #12
Bob #15
Dianne +3-4 #13
Tom + 1 #87
Mike & Obi #8
Kevin & Pam #19
Jean & Bella #7
Carol & friends + Brutus #11
Grant & Dianne #18

Zollinger Probably site #3
Greg & Laurie Site ???
Last edited by BrwBier on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 am

While I don't live 6 miles from the park, and being next to the lake can be a negative at this time of year, the park's shelter makes all the difference. It would really have to be bad weather to ruin this campout when we have that shelter. I would want to camp at K/A even without all the great people.

Easter would definately not be a good weekend to try to have a gathering on. Since people have talked about moving the date to a warmer date why not move it one weekend later instead of one forward?

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby godskid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 am

Gary J wrote:Easter would definately not be a good weekend to try to have a gathering on. Since people have talked about moving the date to a warmer date why not move it one weekend later instead of one forward?

Gary

I think he DID move it to later in the year. Easter is never in May, so he certainly didn't move it earlier. (On the other hand, I *could* look at some old posts to be sure of what the date used to be.)
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Zollinger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 pm

There was some talk of moving it to High Cliff State Park or Calumet County Park. High Cliff is a wonderful park on the upper east side of Lake Winnabago. Calumet county park is a few miles south of High Cliff, both on Lake Winnabago so we got the lake part covered. Bad part there is no shelter near the campground at either park. Anybody been to Harrington State Park? It's also on Lake Michigan, the campground is only a couple of years old. Maybe this weekend we can take a Sunday drive and check it out.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 am

I think moving it one week later makes good sense. Also I agree with Gary. The shelter makes all the difference. If we move to another Park it should have a shelter.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby duke » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 pm

There is a new shelter at Calumet County Park. Rental is $30.00 per day.
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby duke » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow, that looks like a nice park. Do you think they're serious about the shelter not being available until mid-May, and the bathhouse not being open until May 1 though?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 am

I notice that Calumet has two building for rent. The shelter ($30) appears to be just that, a shelter and nothing more. The lodge ($50) indicates that it has bathrooms and possible other amenities. If flush toilets are available as part of a rental outside of the normal flush toilets being open to the general public, this might be worth finding more information about.

KA's shelter has a really nice fireplace that has been a plus on a cold rainy day. I wonder if Calumet's lodge has this advantage. They have a photo section, but really don't provide a lot of information.

From the web site: The Lodge is located at the base of the Tube Hill. Amenities at the Lodge include: rest rooms, outdoor patio, refigerator, hot water, air conditioning, large outdoor grill, and additional outside picnic table seating. The Lodge is handicapped assessible.

We probably will not need the air conditioning, but it would be nice to know if the lodge has heat. I would think with having put air in that it would.
Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Easter next year is the 24th Of April

Postby Tuck-a-way » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 am

I agree with BrwBier. Move the camping weekend one week after Easter and leave it at Kohler_Andre Park. The shelter is worth the difference. :thumbsupjavascript:emoticon(':thumbsup:'):
Tuck-a-way
Teardrop Inspector

CNTL

Postby dwe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:39 pm

I just would like to put a twist into these discussions. There is a great park on Lake Winnebago in Fond Du Lac County called Columbia Park http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/Index.aspx?page=38 . They have a large shelter that is quite expensive but there are other open air shelters that are free of charge. If it would be windy we could put up some wind blocks. I do like where it has been in the past due to the convenience and I know the park likes having us. We were camp hosts in October at Kohler Andand it was mentioned by the staff that they liked the teardrop weekend. My vote would be for Kohler Andrae. If this is what we settle on we should start making reservations.
Lets get this up and running.

Dennis
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

CNTL

Postby dwe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Just looked at the weekend starting April 29th and the 30th and there are some of the front loop sites taken. Sites 20 thru 33 have been reserved.

Dennis
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 pm

I agree with Dennis. Lets make a decision and start making reservations. I like Kohler and vote to keep it there.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Reservations for new date 4-29 to 5-1

Postby pigcooker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi everyone!! I just reserved site 16 for April 29 for 2 nights. :thumbsup: This is just a week later then in the past. This can't be that hard to decide upon. Start the reservation process. I promise I will make scrambled eggs for breakfast, as if that might sway anyone. :lol:
Doug :D
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 pm

OK Doug, I am in site 10 for April 29-30th . We need to get some more people reserved and get the shelter reserved before it's gone.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Midwest