Morel Hunting in Michigan

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Morel Hunting in Michigan

Postby Rock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 am

Anyone know of a campground near some good public Morel hunting in northern Michigan? Not looking to make a killing just want to get out in the woods with the daughter. Thanks in advance.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 am

I have a friend that lives in the holly area of michigan he says most state parks in the mid state area have morels such as seven lakes. The UP is generally like N Ontario and has the wrong conditions for them. He like I, generally search for them while he is turkey hunting. Usually find them on the N side of hardwood trees.Due to the fact that turkey season and morel season are at the same time please wear bright coloured clothes(not blue or red) while out looking. A cheap hunter orange vest, toque or cap would be my choice.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Rock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks for the input. As a kid we generally went around the Ludington/Houghton Lake areas so that's where I'm thinking.

I had never thought about turkey hunters. Not sure they had much of a season in the 70's. I'll be sure to check the season and dress in orange if it's called for.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby trailhopper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

You can always try the mushroom festival in mesick may 6-may 8.
trailhopper
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Midwest