Cooler Near the Lake VI

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Cooler Near the Lake VI

Postby dwe » Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry it took so long to get this posted but I had the pictures of Mauthe Lake Campground but forgot about them. The campground does have a shelter with an inside and outside fireplace. I think that the fireplace is the only heat in the shelter. The shelter is about 1/2 mile from the 200's campground. http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=b8cafdfdf65031ad6cdd16a80fdf8c46
We took a ride today and ended up at the Sheboygan County Marsh Park. They do have camping, A restaurant and bar. They also have a shelter that they rent out and a open air shelter that could be used and if it is cold and windy we could tie tarps up to break the wind. they have a websitehttp://www.threeguysandagrill.com I took some pictureshttp://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=7df26a92fb9264706cbbd47cbb382743
Any comments?
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Dennis, thanks for doing the leg work on this. Is there a way to make the Shutterfly pictures a public album. I can not see them without having to sign up. How far inland are these from Cooler? Do you think it's far enough to make it much warmer? The 3 guys and a grill site show the price at 30 bucks a night. Can't remember what Kohler is. You would not need a State sticker there right?

Hope some others chime in with comments.

Thanks again Dennis
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Sun May 15, 2011 9:53 pm

We camped there in October 09 and really enjoyed it. There's a nice hiking trail with a boardwalk through a marsh area. Seems like there was a bridge. I remember it as being very pretty. The area where the shelter is is very kid-friendly. I do think it might be a bit warmer there than it would be at Kohler-Andrae.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dwe » Wed May 18, 2011 5:36 pm

http://coolernearthelake.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5
I hope you can see the pictures now.
These places are about 20 miles inland so if it is nice it will be warmer. I would suggest the Sheboygan County Marsh Park. Mauthe Lake looked a little wet and the shelter is quite a ways away from the campsites. The Marsh does not require a sticker. It is pretty quiet this time of the year out there and we could rent the shelter if we wanted to. We could even have a catered pig roast if we wanted. I don't know what the cost would be for the shelter or the catering. I am guessing around $125/day for the shelter. There is electric and water to all the sites. I don't know how the reservations work either.
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby OuttaHand » Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 pm

I can (barely) remember camping at Mauthe Lake as a kid We used to camp out there on Memorial Day weekends when I was a kid. I can barely remember it, but I remember it being fun

We really enjoyed our first "Cooler Near the Lake" at Kohler Andrae but another park woyld be great, too.
Teardrop newbie but camping "oldster"
OuttaHand
Teardrop Master

Cooler near the lake

Postby dwe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 am

Does anyone have any opinion as to where we will gather next year? I would hate if this gathering would go by the wayside. The state park would be fine but we should make a decision.
dwe
Teardrop Master

Cooler near the lake

Postby dwe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:51 am

Does anyone have any opinion as to where we will gather next year? I would hate if this gathering would go by the wayside. The state park would be fine but we should make a decision.
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey Dennis, how's it going? I don't know where things stand for next year. I'm sure there will be one but we need a leader. Not sure who that is....Do you want to be the organizer Dennis. It should be some one near buy the park if possible. Are you coming to Camp Inn-Camp-out in 2 weeks? It's a fun outing.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:41 pm

I know we moved the date this year because of when Easter was, hopefully we are going back to the original date. If so I will definately be there. This is a great event to start the year off with.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby flygal6 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi everyone,
Spoke with Dennis last weekend at Camp Inn, Camp Out, for those who missed it you missed a great time.
On to the business at hand. We discussed a few other good possibilities I will attempt to copy a word document here where I jotted down information I pulled up on Calumet County Park (east side of Lake Winnebago, inland about 25 miles from kohler), Columbia Park, Pipe Wi (southeast corner of Lake Winnebago), and Waupon Park, (southwest of Fond du Lac). Not sure if the campground pdfs (pics) will copy, but pretty sure the links will so you all can look at the sites and check them out. I will be trying to get more information on the lodge at Calumet county park this week and see if they are willing to open the bathouse early for us. Looking at last weekend of april or first weekend of May.

http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/Index.aspx?page=386 Columbia County park 40 sites
Map of campground:
http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/Index.aspx?page=399 Waupon County park 42 sites
Map of campground:

$21/night elec site, for non- fond du lac county resident(one night nonrefundable reservation fee required)
Columbia park enclosed shelter $102 / day x3 = $306 Split by 40 people comes out to $7.65 each person
Waupon Enclosed shelter $54 /day x3 = $162 Split by 40 people comes out to $4.05 each person
Reservations made through the Fond du lac County by calling (920) 929-3135. Can reserve 6 months in advance
Modern restrooms, dump station, firewood $4 per bundle from the camp host

http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/departments2.iml?dept_id=34 Calumet County park 71 sites, 59 with electric
$20/ might electric site. $6 reservation fee and 2 night minimum
Lodge Shelter $50 /day x3 = $150 Split by 40 people comes out to $3.75
Camping available from April 1, however the bath house does not open until the end of May. Pay showers.
We do accept major credit cards. (Visa, Mastercard and Discover) A deposit is required to reserve a campsite.
Reservations are accepted by phone or in person beginning six months to the ahead of your camping date.
Calumet County Parks Office 920.439.1008
2012 Camping Reservation Start Dates Schedule
(to the first date of your reservation)
For Reservations starting We will starting taking reservations
May 2012……………………………………… November 2011
Map of campground: http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/uploads/doc ... arkMap.pdf

Sorry folks, the pdf of Columbia and Waupon campground did not copy through. I think all of these are excellent choices. I have camped at Calumet Co park and visited Columbia park. Columbia park has a local favorite supper club just on the side of the property right on the lake with a bar and restaurant, if this appeals to anyone.
Hope this give you all a bit more to look at. Let me know what you think. I will update more as I get the information.
Carol
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for doing all this research, Carol! Good to see the options.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks Carol for doing this. Let us know what happens with the shelter. The sooner we decide where and when we will camp the better the turnout will be.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby flygal6 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi everyone,
Sorry I don't have anything new to report this week as I am involved in a special project at work off site and been unable to make any contact with any of the places. Unfortunately it looks like it will be next week before I can get to it. :( I promise something soon though.....bear with me. 8)
Carol
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:38 am

Don't worry carol. We are just happy you are willing to do this. Good luck on your work project!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby flygal6 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Happy harvest weekend to everyone! Looking forward to taking off later today to head up to Door Co for the weekend. The colors should be great.
This is what I found out about my first choice, mainly because its closer to me (about a 30 min drive) and also because I have camped there.
This is what I copied from earlier in the thread. I bold faced the updated information:

http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/departments2.iml?dept_id=34 Calumet County park 71 sites, 59 with electric
$20/ might electric site. $6 reservation fee and 2 night minimum
Lodge Shelter $50 /day x3 = $150 Split by 40 people comes out to $3.75 The 6 mos ahead reservation policy is the same for the shelter too. I would be able to go out there on a Thursday sometime in Nov to make sure we get the inside shelter and just put it on the credit card. We can do the normal thing of just pay me back during the camp weekend. This way I can check out the shelter up close too.
Camping available from April 1, however the bath house does not open until the end of May. Pay showers. We can get opportunity for showers on Sat/Sun but will probably be limited to like 8-4pm, daytime only due to their limited staff. They would be opening it just for us.
We do accept major credit cards. (Visa, Mastercard and Discover) A deposit is required to reserve a campsite.
Reservations are accepted by phone or in person beginning six months to the ahead of your camping date.
Calumet County Parks Office 920.439.1008 This number for winter hours will be good Mon - Thurs 8-4pm. POC is Lynn, She knows about our group.
2012 Camping Reservation Start Dates Schedule
(to the first date of your reservation)
For Reservations starting We will starting taking reservations
May 2012……………………………………… November 2011
Map of campground: http://www.co.calumet.wi.us/uploads/doc ... arkMap.pdf

So with all that said the dates would be either 27-29 April 2012 or 4-6 May 2012. Again my vote would be to move this to the [b]first weekend in May
. It still avoids the mother's day weekend. Plus gets us more into the true start of the parks season, so not as many restrictions. The other consideration for moving it back just one week is of course our hx of so much rain and also this region is expecting an especially heavy winter of snow and cold weather due to El Nino......UGH!

Was great to see many of you CBTL folks at the CICO gathering 2 weeks ago. Hope we again get a great crowd for CBTL 2012 and that some may try it again with a date change and also a site change. If we pick this park, plan on making your reservation on the north end of the campground......sites 37-60. These will be closest to the lodge/shelter and also showers.
Carol
[/b]
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Midwest