2012 Shivaree

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:08 am

Verna,

I have a confession. We didn't stay the night. The sky cleared and it started getting cold fast. We left around 8:00 when everyone started heading for their campers. As we were driving back toward Crawfordsville, the thermometer on my Explorer read 11 at one point. So I slept in my nice warm bed at home last night.

It was great meeting you and everyone else yesterday. I am really looking forward to the spring gathering.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Verna » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Tom, don't worry about it--you showed up and we got to meet.

I have camped in the mid 20's in a van in 1985 and I KNOW how cold it can get. And, I didn't have a space heater--just a sleeping bag and a 60 lb Chow/Shepherd mix!!! Of course, I was much younger then, too :lol:

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Blotto Bros » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 pm

IndyTom wrote:Verna,

I have a confession. We didn't stay the night. The sky cleared and it started getting cold fast. We left around 8:00 when everyone started heading for their campers. As we were driving back toward Crawfordsville, the thermometer on my Explorer read 11 at one point. So I slept in my nice warm bed at home last night.

It was great meeting you and everyone else yesterday. I am really looking forward to the spring gathering.

Tom

Tom, it was great meeting you and your son!! I look forward to seeing your progress through the next few months. If there is anything I can help with just let me know.

Thanks for coming and shivering with us..even if it was just for the day, :thumbsup:
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 am

I thank all the brave souls who showed up whether to visit or camp. It was fun to just enjoy the fire and talk.

I to have a confession also I showed up at 4:30 Friday and was almost certain I was to be alone when Jeff2 and his trailer showed up. I was very impressed with Rip van winkle It was roomier than I ever dreamed and was very easy to heat. I had a tiny ceramic heater with thermostat and it cycled in and out on about 30 to 45 minute increments. I had to leave mid day Saturday . I simply can not sleep 12 - 13 hours and once the sun is down the only warm place was my tiny trailer. I was up once or twice playing with the fire and emptying the wood out of the truck for something to do. I really wish I had brought a TV or at least a radio. I felt like a prisoner to the cold. I couldn't face a second night and was very sad to leave a good bunch of guys.

Things I learned this gathering. Harkening back to the movie a christmas story and the tongue on the flag pole I knew better than to touch my tongue to the ice ladened paddelock on the trailer to melt the ice in it while hooking up, yet while breathing on it ,somehow it touched for an instant and panic set in. Luckily I escaped.

In the cold dawn of Saturday morning mother nature called and a hike to the pit toilet was in order. I disrobed enough to get my wide frame in the 34" wide cubical and stared at the stainless steel seat and wondered if I would be found stuck to it. That's when I learned your butt won't stick to steel like a wet tongue will.

I insulated the sleeping area of Rip but not the front bulkhead and cabinets. This turned out to be a great design feature. The uninsulated cabinet gained enough heat from the interior warmth to stay a nice 34 - 38 degrees despite the outside temp dipping to 13 degrees. It made a perfect refrigerator The milk I stored in there was nice and cold to drink but remained unfrozen.

Back to an earlier discussion about coolers. Beer will remain a brisk 33-36 degrees stored in a cooler out side in the 13 degree temperature. So laugh if you must but they will "keep hot things hot and cold things cold"

Yes we had a good time :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am

Doug Miller sent me 9 great shots of the shivaree I am having a hell of a time getting them resized. When I finally stumble around and get it right I can't remember how I got there but here are a couple that I was able to get forum compatable...........

Doug's latest build ! Wish we had gotten a picture or two of his shop built walnut cabinets inside they were beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Here is Indy Tom cookin' up a storm.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Midwest