Tears Across dah U.P., eh?

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Tears Across dah U.P., eh?

Postby Karl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am

The Great Lakes Chapter of Tear Jerkers cordially invites you to our Summer 2012 gathering:

“Tears Across dah U.P., eh?”

WHERE:
At multiple campgrounds across dah U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

WHEN:
Friday, August 3, 2012 thru Sunday, August 12, 2012 (those dates are not typos)

WHY:
In 2006, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan was named as one of the Top 10 Summer Destinations in the World by Sherman's Travel. The U.P. is stunningly gorgeous and ruggedly beautiful so if you have never taken the opportunity to see nature at its finest, this is your chance!

PLEASE NOTE that any pertinent information or updates about this gathering will only be posted on the Tear Jerkers website at http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 427#p59427. Please go to that thread for any questions, comments, or to tell us that you will be joining us. Thanks!! Karl

SUMMARY:
This is not one, not two, but three gatherings in one!!
The first gathering of this exciting event will be a traditional weekend gathering and will be held in the eastern end of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (U.P.) at the Brimley State Park near Sault Ste. Marie.
The second gathering will be a “crawl” across the U.P. starting late Sunday morning where we will camp at three different campsites (Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Indian Lake State Park, and J.W. Wells State Park) as we crisscross our way from east to west while enjoying nature plus interesting and unique tourist attractions along the way.
The third gathering is a joint event with our friends from the St. Croix Chapter and will be held at the Lake Gogebic State Park in the western end of the U.P.. Along the way, optional activities include a boat tour of the Soo Locks, camping near the spectacular Tahquamenon Waterfalls, a boat tour of Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, a tour of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, and, most importantly, a visit to see the Naughty Cow Statue.

Come for one night, all nine nights, or anything in-between! How much fun you want to have is entirely up to you!

While some people have claimed that my gatherings generally seem painfully long (especially when it is cold and windy), this may literally be one of the longest gatherings ever held by the Tear Jerkers. ;laugh; You won’t want to miss it!

AGENDA, CAMPGROUNDS, AND ACTIVITIES:
ALL activities are optional

EVERY MORNING of the entire trip
Coffee and breakfast at my campsite
Probably lasting from 7am until 9-10am each morning of our excursion.
I'll have my 40-cup coffee maker urn going by around 7am. Feel free to bring your breakfast to my campsite…or even cook it there if you wish. Bring your chairs, plates, cups, etc. then enjoy some pleasant conversation with your fellow Tear Jerkers.

___________________________________________________________________________________
CARAVANNING Friday, August 3 at 1pm
If you are interested, please meet me in the east parking lot of the Fort Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City if you would like to caravan from Mackinaw City across Big Mac north to Brimley State Park. Once we get across the Mackinaw Bridge, it will be roughly a one hour drive north to Brimley State Park. Chances are good that I will arrive in Mackinaw City before noon and grab some lunch downtown (perhaps at Darrow’s at 361 N Louvingny St. just south of West Sinclair St.). If you wish to meet up with me in Mackinaw City so we can drive the rest of the way together, please put a post on the Tear Jerkers announcement thread (http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 427#p59427). If I don’t hear from anyone, I’ll leave that parking lot promptly at 1pm.
If you go to Google Maps (http://maps.google.com), type in “Fort Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City” (without the quotes). The park should show up as “A”, which will be displayed on top of I75 just before you would get to the bridge. To either side of I75 are parking areas. The parking area to the right (east) has larger parking spots for people with trailers. That is where I will be just before 1pm. The GPS coordinates are: N45 47.224 W84 43.911. There is not a specific street address for the parking area but you will be right across the street if you plug in: 797 N Huron Ave - Mackinaw City, MI 49701.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Friday and Saturday nights at Brimley State Park
Arrive Friday, August 3. Depart Sunday, August 5
9200 W. 6 Mile Road - Brimley, MI 49715 - (906) 248-3422
This is near the Soo Locks!

FRIDAY NIGHT, August 3 around 7pm: .
Wine & Cheese party at my campsite.
Please bring your favorite beverage (adult or otherwise) plus cheese and crackers or something else for the group to munch on. Also, don’t forget to bring your chairs plus glasses/cups and plates.

SATURDAY MORNING, August 4 around 11am
Leave for lunch at Antlers Restaurant, which has been called “the best taxidermy restaurant in Michigan” . Good place for burgers, steaks, and drinking, I've read. Located at 804 E. Portage Ave., Sault Ste. Marie, MI. 906-632-3571. http://www.saultantlers.com.
Don’t worry. It is not a real taxidermy facility. There are simply lots of dead animals on the walls.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON, August 4 at 2pm
Soo Locks Boat Tour in their climate-controlled boats
This 2-hour tour leaves from Dock 1, located at 1157 E. Portage Ave. in Sault Ste. Marie. Tickets are $19.
(800) 432-6301 or (906) 632-6301.
http://www.upper-peninsula-now.com/soo-locks.html and http://www.soolocks.com
If you wish to skip lunch at the Antlers Restaurant but join us for the boat tour, please meet us at the dock so we can all try to sit together.

SATURDAY EVENING, August 4 at 6pm
Pot-luck dinner at my campsite
Please post what you will be bringing on the Tear Jerkers gathering announcement thread (http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 427#p59427). As always, I’ll do hamburgers and hotdogs. Bring chairs, plates, drinks, etc. along with a smile and an appetite.

LATE SUNDAY MORNING: (August 5)
Leave Brimley State Park for Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Approximate Time and Distance: 1 hours, 2 minutes, 55 miles as we follow Highway 123 along the scenic shore of Lake Superior.

Sunday and Monday nights at Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Arrive Sunday, August 5. Depart Tuesday, August 7
41382 W. M 123 - Paradise, MI 49768 - (906) 492-3415.
The campgrounds are next to the most spectacular waterfalls you can imagine! Draining as much as 50,000 gallons of water per second, the upper falls is the third most voluminous vertical waterfall east of the Mississippi River.

You’ve gone to HELL and back with me. Now, I’m taking you to Paradise!

MONDAY, August 6….later morning or early afternoon
Take a tour of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, located at
18335 N. Whitefish Point Rd, Paradise, MI (about a 30 minute drive from the state park).
888-492-3747…Hours: Daily May-Oct. 10 am - 6 pm.
Tickets are $13. My Wrangler holds 4 or 5 adults and then we may need other drivers depending on the size of our group.
Visitors “will enjoy an exciting presentation using new interpretive panels and a video display about the famous shipwrecks Carl D. Bradley and Daniel J. Morrell; a video display featuring Edmund Fitzgerald crew members and unique footage of her as she sailed.”
http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/museum

9AM TUESDAY MORNING: (August 7)
Leave Tahquamenon Falls State Park for our boat tour (see below).
Morning Leg: Approximate Time and Distance: 2 hours, 59 minutes, 97 miles to Pictured Rock not counting time for a stop in Grand Marais for lunch at the West Bay Diner & Delicatessen - E21825 Veteran St - Grand Marais, MI 49839. (906) 494-2607.
Afternoon Leg: Approximate Time and Distance: 49 minutes, 48 miles from Pictured Rock to Indian Lake State Park.
If you decide to skip the boat tour and go directly to Indian Lake State Park, feel free to leave Tahquamenon Falls whenever you wish. The time and distance to Indian Lake State Park will be roughly 1 hour, 33 minutes, 92 miles.

TUESDAY, August 7 at 2pm
Please join us for a wonderful boat tour of Pictured Rock National Lakeshore.
We will need to leave Tahquamenon Falls State Park not much after 9am. This 3-hour tour (with the Skipper and Gilligan) is through Pictured Rocks Cruises, Inc. - 100 W. City Park Drive - Munising, Michigan 49862. Tickets are $35. (906) 387-2379 http://www.picturedrocks.com
Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Indian Lake State Park
Arrive Tuesday, August 7. Depart Thursday, August 9
8970W County Road 442 - Manistique, MI 49854 - (906) 341-2355

LATE THURSDAY MORNING:
Leave Indian Lake State Park for J.W. Wells State Park
Approximate Time and Distance: 1 hour, 33 minutes, 85 miles not counting the time during which we’ll have a lunch of “Pasties” (a staple U.P. meal) at Dobber’s Pasties. 827 N. Lincoln Rd. - Escanaba, MI 49829.
(906) 786-1880 http://www.dobberspasties.com. Before heading down to Wells State Park we’ll check out a scenic spot by the Sandpoint Lighthouse in downtown Escanaba where a peninsula juts out into Lake Michigan.

Thursday night at J.W. Wells State Park
Arrive Thursday, August 9. Depart Friday, August 10
N7670 Highway M-35 - Cedar River, MI 49887 - (906) 863-9747
Near beautiful Lake Michigan!

LATE FRIDAY MORNING:
Leave J.W. Wells for Lake Gogebic State Park
Approximate Time and Distance: 3 hours, 10 minutes, 196 miles, including stopping along our route for the Naughty Cow Statue. I don’t think we’ll be able to resist taking 5 minutes to have our pictures taken there. We’ll also have lunch at the Rusty Saw Blade - 110 W. Pine Street - Amasa, MI 49903. (906) 822-0017.

Friday and Saturday nights at Lake Gogebic State Park
Arrive Friday, August 10. Depart Sunday, August 12
N 9995 State, Hwy M-64 - Marenisco, MI 49947-9722 - (906) 842-3341

FRIDAY NIGHT, August 10 around 6pm:
Wine & Cheese party at my campsite.

SATURDAY EVENING, August 11 at 6pm
Pot-luck dinner
Please post what you will be bringing on this gathering thread. Bring chairs, plates, drinks, etc. along with a smile and an appetite.

LATE SUNDAY MORNING, August 12:
Leave Lake Gogebic State Park for HOME.

SEE HOW RELAXING MY GATHERINGS ARE???
Whether you are coming for fun and/or to relax, please attend this gathering. You will thank yourself for years to come.

GUARANTEE:
As with my all of my gatherings, I am promising perfect weather and another rainbow! Please plan on temps in the low 80's during the day with gentle breezes, clear skies, and no rain. Oh, and no mosquitoes too!

AMENITIES:
“Modern” facilities/amenities means that there is electricity (30 or 50-amp service) at each campsite plus clean, up-to-date restrooms and showers. Maid and Butler services are optional. :LOL:

RESERVATIONS:
You can make individual reservations online or you can call the DNR and speak with a representative. I would suggest the latter.

TELEPHONE:
Call: 800-447-2757 from 8am - 8pm Eastern Time Monday - Friday and 9am – 5pm. Eastern Time Saturday and Sunday.

DNR WEBSITE:

Brimley State Park
Two nights: Friday night (August 3) and Saturday night (August 4) at Brimley State Park in their “Brimley-Modern” Campgrounds. My campsite is #102. I paid $50 in total for the two nights.
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK

Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Two nights: Sunday night (August 5) and Monday night (August 6) at Tahquamenon Falls State Park at their “Tahquamenon Lower Falls-Modern” Campgrounds. My campsite is #42. I paid $50 in total for the two nights.

Indian Lake State Park
Two nights: Tuesday night (August 7) and Wednesday night (August 8) at the Indian Lake State Park at their “Indian Lake South-Modern” Campgrounds. My campsite is #100. I paid $56 in total for the two nights.

J.W. Wells State Park
One night: Thursday night (August 9) at J. W. Wells State Park at their “J. W. Wells-Modern” Campgrounds. My campsite is #32. I paid $27 in total for the one night.

Lake Gogebic State Park
Two nights: Friday night (August 10) and Saturday night (August 11) at the Lake Gogebic State Park at their “Lake Gogebic Electric” Campgrounds. My campsite is #82. I paid $26 in total for the one night. I am leaving Saturday morning to visit my very sick aunt in St. Paul … but you will be in good hands after I leave.

MICHIGAN DNR CANCELLATION POLICY::
“Cancellations cannot be made more than 5 months in advance of arrival date. Unless a reservation is for a rustic cabin, camper cabin, mini cabin, shelter or yurt; cancellations cannot be made more than 11 months in advance of arrival date. Changes to this reservation must be made via the call center and will result in full cancellation. The $8 reservation fee included in the initial reservation is nonrefundable. Cancellations made up to close of business the day prior to your scheduled arrival date will incur the $10 cancellation fee. If you cancel on your day of arrival or later you forfeit the first nights camp fee as well as the $10 cancellation and $8 reservation fee. Reservations are held until 3PM the day after scheduled arrival date. If arriving more than 24 hours late, you must cancel the whole reservation and rebook for new desired dates. Failure to do so will result in a no-show with loss of all fees.”

MOTOR VEHICLE FEES:
Every vehicle needs a “Recreation Passport”. For Michigan residents, the cost is only $10. For non-residents, the fee is only $29. Both resident and non-resident passports will cover you for the rest of this calendar year.
Whether you are a Michigan resident or an out-of-stater, you can purchase a passport online by going to http://apps.michigan.gov/michiganestore ... tegoryId=5. Please keep in mind that it will take roughly 7 days to receive the passport in the mail. You can also purchase your passport right at the campgrounds from a park ranger. And, for Michigan residents, when you renew your license plates, check "Yes" to the recreation passport and your tag will have the passport symbol on it.

QUESTIONS:
Q: Do I have to attend the entire event at all the locations?
A: No. You can come for all 9 nights of camping, 1 night, or anything in-between. If you wish to join us for the first weekend then tag along for a day or two during the crawl, that’s fine. If you wish to join up with us mid-week then attend the second weekend’s gathering, that is also fine. You decide how much camping you want to do then make your reservations accordingly.

Q: Why on earth are you doing this mega-gathering at 5 different State Parks?
A: Why not? The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is one of the most beautiful places in the world and is well known for its rugged beauty. We will be hitting most of the “Must See” locations in the U.P. including crossing the Mackinaw Bridge (if you are heading “Up North” from the L.P.), the Soo Locks, the Tahquamenon Falls, the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Pictured Rock National Shore, and, of course, the Naughty Cow Statue.

Q: How will I know how to get around up there?
A: First and foremost, I will take the lead whenever we leave the campgrounds so as long as you can follow me, you should not get lost (anymore than I get!). Secondly, if you wish, I will be able to email you a multi-page PDF file that will contain turn-by-turn directions from my laptop’s Garmin GPS software plus maps of the various routes. You can print it out at home or keep it on your laptop. I can also help you figure out how to enter “Waypoints” in your GPS system so that if you get lost, all you have to do is tell the GPS where you need to go and it will figure out how to get there.

Q: The U.P. is so beautiful, we aren’t going to be on major highways all the time, are we?
A: Since there aren’t too many major highways in the U.P., the quick answer is no. To answer more clearly, if you look over the route maps and directions, you will see that I am purposely taking the “scenic route” (i.e., slower and longer) much of the time, which means that we will hopefully see a lot of beautiful scenery. Since we will not have any time constraints most days, if someone wants to stop and look at a waterfall or something else, we can easily do so without getting anyone’s panties in a bunch.

Q: But what if I want to move faster than our group when going from one campground to another?
A: You are not required to stay with the group. Assuming you have a GPS, you can certainly take off on your own and then we’ll catch up with you later in the day. My only request is that you tell me in advance that you are venturing off on your own. And, I’d like to know what time you expect to be at the final destination that day so we don’t sent out search and rescue parties unnecessarily.

Q: Are you nuts? Isn’t that going to be far too much fun for those who participate?
A: Yes, I’m nuts but that is beside the point. And yes, this might be more fun than the average person can handle but please do not miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of the most beautiful parts of the U.P. You will NOT regret it!

DIRECTIONS AND PROXIMITY
(per the State of Michigan DNR)

Brimley State Park
“From I-75: exit M-28, proceed west 9 miles to the blinker light (M-221). Turn north and drive through Brimley to the stop sign at 6-Mile Road. Turn east 3/4 of a mile to the park entrance located on the north side of the road.”

Tahquamenon Falls State Park
“North on M-123 off I-75 approximately 66 miles to Lower Falls campground. If coming from the west; north out of Newberry on M-123 29 miles. Proximity: 70 miles to Sault Ste. Marie 70 miles to St. Ignace.”

Indian Lake State Park
“Take US-2 to Thompson. 5 miles west of Manistique. Take M-149 north 3 miles to stop sign. Turn right on County Road 442. Go 1/2 mile to park entrance. Proximity: 5 miles west of Manistique 50 miles east of Escanaba.”

J.W. Wells State Park
“M-35, 30 miles south-west of Escanaba or 25 miles north-east of Menominee. 1 mile south of G-12. Proximity: 30 miles south-west of Escanaba. 25 miles northeast of Menominee. Cedar River State Harbor and boat launch 1 1/2 miles north.”

Lake Gogebic State Park
“The park is located on state highway M64 south. When arriving from the north, the park is approximately 8 miles south of highway M28. When arriving from the south, the park is approximately 10 miles north of highway US2. Proximity: 30 miles east of Ironwood 35 miles south of Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park”

Once again, please post your questions and comments at http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 427#p59427.
Thank you and I hope many of you can attend this special mega-gathering!
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Re: Tears Across dah U.P., eh?

Postby Karl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:20 am

Our group for this gathering is growing so make your reservations soon via the Michigan DNR (see thread for details).
Don't forget that any trailer (and owner) is welcome at this gathering. You do not have to have a teardrop. Heck, sleep in your car if you wish. Just make sure you join us!
Please go to http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... =17&t=5401 and read through all the posts so you can be updated on this gathering. Then, go to the last page of that thread then put up a post telling us which campsite(s) you have reserved.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Return to Midwest