Crossroads of America 2013 gathering

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Crossroads of America 2013 gathering

Postby Mary C » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks to the guys who put on CRA. I know the hard work that goes into such an endeavor. Thank You to the ones who worked so hard.

Thanks to all the people who helped me with my Foamie, and yes thanks to a whole group. it has doors on and no excess canvas at the bottom on the sides. I am not sure who took pictures but please post them on the foamie, my Grits build thread. More work to be done on the hatch but now I will have time to finish and hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Thanks to all the wonderful cooks who cooked all the yummy food.

Buy a spare for your TD trailer if you don't have one before starting on a long trip.

I WILL BE BACK to the next CRA!!!!!!!

Mary C. :D
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

14 hour drive out, 17 hours back, 1630 miles, Family's all mad at me, Spent to much money, missed an extra day of work.

It was worth it!

Thanks to all who sponsored this Great event!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Great weekend. We just got home a couple hours ago. After leaving Sunday afternoon. We made a left where we should have made a right, and stayed the night at Lincoln state park. I LOVE being bale to travel spontaneously!

Kurt, Dan, Todd...and countless people I don't know, we all awe you a debt of gratitude!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 1Dave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks for one of our best times ever. Met some great people andhope to see ya all soon . The gonnaBes :thumbsup:
1Dave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 am

PICTURES YOU WANT PICTURES.......

Here is the Indy Star photo gallery..........

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=BG&Date=20130725&Category=LIFE&ArtNo=307250803&Ref=PH
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

For those of you who recieved less than stellar Hoosier Hospitality from Barney, I took time today to enlighten his boss.......

To the senior park manager at McCormick's creek

The Tearjerkers national gathering was a wonderful time for all, great weather and a pristene park with great features. I asked one of the cleanup caretakers if we were good guests and his only complaint was there was nothing tossed out and left behind for him to clean up. With 140 of the sites taken by members of our group we visited well into the AM with folks we won't see for 2 more years many of whom we had never actually met except on computer chat forums. The little black cloud in the gathering drove a little black car. We nicknamed him Barney Fyfe.His swolen head and anal attitude about late night fire side chats caused several confrontations. The founder of Tearjerkers who came from Manhatten NY , when confronted it became an open invitation to stepping outside and settle the problem man to man. Had he appeared at our site in my presence I would have stepped into the batmobile and we would be waking you up to air this grevence. No complaints were ever recieved yet Barney had to park the stelth mobile and listen for any small sound so he could flex his muscle. There is some talk of finding another park to avoid this situation in 2015 when the next gathering is scheduled. I hope you can assure us that a bit more discression could be made when 140 camp site are all friends who would like to visit into the wee hours chatting and laughing by the fire.

Bob Henry
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

bobhenry wrote:For those of you who recieved less than stellar Hoosier Hospitality from Barney, I took time today to enlighten his boss.......

To the senior park manager at McCormick's creek

The Tearjerkers national gathering was a wonderful time for all, great weather and a pristene park with great features. I asked one of the cleanup caretakers if we were good guests and his only complaint was there was nothing tossed out and left behind for him to clean up. With 140 of the sites taken by members of our group we visited well into the AM with folks we won't see for 2 more years many of whom we had never actually met except on computer chat forums. The little black cloud in the gathering drove a little black car. We nicknamed him Barney Fyfe.His swolen head and anal attitude about late night fire side chats caused several confrontations. The founder of Tearjerkers who came from Manhatten NY , when confronted it became an open invitation to stepping outside and settle the problem man to man. Had he appeared at our site in my presence I would have stepped into the batmobile and we would be waking you up to air this grevence. No complaints were ever recieved yet Barney had to park the stelth mobile and listen for any small sound so he could flex his muscle. There is some talk of finding another park to avoid this situation in 2015 when the next gathering is scheduled. I hope you can assure us that a bit more discression could be made when 140 camp site are all friends who would like to visit into the wee hours chatting and laughing by the fire.

Bob Henry

The "Can of Worms" has been opened. I spoke at some length with the Park people on Sunday and got nothing but "rave reviews" about our group. With the exception of "Barney" (who didn't show up on Friday night), the Park worked out very well for our group. I heard that there were a couple of complaints filed about the attitude of the "Lone Ranger" in the Stealth car but no other information was available.
Hopefully he was re-assigned to the alligator swamp duty and won't be there in 2015.

All that being said, regardless of the fun we are having, we need to follow the rules of the Park. Since the "rules" are written in stone, and there are no "judgement calls" allowed by the Rangers, (sarcasm) we'll need to keep it down after 11:00pm. That doesn't mean we have to be in bed by 11:00pm but we should wind it down and eventually taper off at that hour.

I was up talking until 1:30 on Friday night but the sound level was fairly low. Heck, we didn't even disturb the "Coons" until John chased one up a tree.

Anyway, even though we pay their salaries, we should attempt to follow the rules as best we can.

The isolated encounters were rare and there was a feeling (by the other Park workers) that our group was the "best" they have ever seen and are welcomed back at any time.

Having fun is not always completely silent..

Regardless of the small run-ins with the Ranger, the weekend was unbelievable and makes me look forward to next time.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jim and Sharon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 am

Although we had to leave early we enjoyed getting a couple of days to rest from the moving experience. Thanks to all who made it possible.

We made a discovery on the way home that might help out a couple of fellow campers with whom we discussed the filiform corrosion in the aluminum on our trailers: CorrosionX is a product designed for the Navy to prevent corrosion of metals on ships. We were told that it works like magic on aluminum (reported by someone with an Airstream) so we have ordered some from Amazon.com. It is supposed safe to use with electronics, can be used on engines, and is used to care for guns. We haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising. We thought some others might want to give it a try as well--if it works, it is sure cheaper and easier than replacing aluminum skin. We will let you all know how it works for us if others will try and report as well. Thanks
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:48 pm

regardless of the fun we are having, we need to follow the rules of the Park

Kurt, it really is that simple! :thumbsup:

We were there for but a few days...
"Barney" and his co-workers are there most all year.
No doubt they regularly deal with drunks, loud obnoxious people, folks that leave trash everywhere, speeders, reckless driving, bad attitudes, and the list goes on and on.
After dealing with "trouble" on a regular basis, having little room for understanding or compassion is to be expected.
Though we were "nice" and likely much better than the average "camper" they deal with, the moment we "expect" them to bend the rules because we are "better" than their normal customers is the moment it all falls apart... :oops:

I had a great time, didn't meet "Barney" and plan to go back.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:04 pm

48Rob wrote:
regardless of the fun we are having, we need to follow the rules of the Park

Kurt, it really is that simple! :thumbsup:

We were there for but a few days...
"Barney" and his co-workers are there most all year.
No doubt they regularly deal with drunks, loud obnoxious people, folks that leave trash everywhere, speeders, reckless driving, bad attitudes, and the list goes on and on.
After dealing with "trouble" on a regular basis, having little room for understanding or compassion is to be expected.
Though we were "nice" and likely much better than the average "camper" they deal with, the moment we "expect" them to bend the rules because we are "better" than their normal customers is the moment it all falls apart... :oops:

I had a great time, didn't meet "Barney" and plan to go back.

Rob

Thanks Rob..Level heads usually prevail.. 8)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Okay, so my trip report.
Wednesday, I arrived late due to construction delays on HWY 70. Threw the Tentdrop up and collapsed on Wednesday night. Of course the racoons woke me out of a sound sleep at about 3am. Shooed them away and went back to bed.

Got up on Thursday and got to meet Verna, Sharon, Shari and a host of other people. Verna was kind enough to lend me rope lights to put around the tentdrop in the hopes of keeping the racoons at bay. It worked!

Friday was really busy day meeting everyone and looking at all those lovely trailers. I didn't get to see all of them, but I tried. :thumbsup: I brought the bed and cushions from BUB so I slept high and dry. Which was a blessing since I ended up with puddles in the tent from the rain Friday night. I'm convinced more than ever to finish BUB.

Saturday, after bailing out the tent, I took my wet bed stuff into the lovely town of Spencer to find the laundry mat and I filled the truck up at possibly the last gas station to pump the gas for you. Funny thing was the gas was less costly than pump your own in Illinois. What a treat.

I also brought along the microwave, fan and coffee pot that will reside in BUB. Who says roughing has to be rough. 8)
Verna's Sunny Day visited while her mommy was off canoeing. She approved of the tentdrop and especially the nap we took. Lovely guest.
The Inn restaurant had excellent food, fair prices and the best view of local birds I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.
My pictures are in this album:

http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=3136

I can hardly wait for the next gathering I can attend. Teardrop people are the best! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am

Spoke with Dana , the reporter from the Indianapolis Star yesterday. The event coverage spread will be in this Sundays edition (August 4th) of the Star. So fellow hoosiers if you want a souviner copy here is your chance.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Bkcreation34 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm

bobhenry wrote:Spoke with Dana , the reporter from the Indianapolis Star yesterday. The event coverage spread will be in this Sundays edition (August 4th) of the Star. So fellow hoosiers if you want a souviner copy here is your chance.

Bob,

I responded to a house fire out here and I thought of your Satellite Design for your Dutch Oven the House was destroyed but the SAT dish made it and thought hey that sure would make a great Dutch oven stand for the next gathering. You are very creative in what you think of and very handy on your ideas.
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:46 pm

I showed of one of the satellite tables during my Dutch oven seminar at the CRA.

It was on the list as one of the 5 or 6 cheap tools to get you into dutch oven cooking economically.

The first DVD of the presentation came out great. I can't wait to see my backup version. I am having copies made this week.

It was unreal that there was 15 brand new unrecorded dvd disks in their sealed individual protective cases at Goodwill Wednesday. I grabbed them all at 34 cents a piece after my Ol' farts discount. :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Bkcreation34 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 pm

bobhenry wrote:I showed of one of the satellite tables during my Dutch oven seminar at the CRA.

It was on the list as one of the 5 or 6 cheap tools to get you into dutch oven cooking economically.

The first DVD of the presentation came out great. I can't wait to see my backup version. I am having copies made this week.

It was unreal that there was 15 brand new unrecorded dvd disks in their sealed individual protective cases at Goodwill Wednesday. I grabbed them all at 34 cents a piece after my Ol' farts discount. :D

I never knew you get a senior discounts at Goodwill I thougt the prices were already low enough but hey you cannot go wrong on that deal. Good job on the find
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest