the lucky "13" shivaree

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

the lucky "13" shivaree

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 am

Well we talked about it at the fall gathering so might as well earmark a post for discussing the renegade January of 2013 "Shivaree".

Things I have learned winter camping.....

Hot air rises.... The teardrop is 110 degrees at the roof and drops 20 degrees for each foot from the roof so at my nose when sleeping it's 15 to 20 degrees. A small fan pointed up (think small ceiling fan) washes the stratafied air back down the outside walls and make it a lot more comfortable.

Small plastic shopping bags placed over thin socks then covered with a good pair of wool hunting socks and feet stay warm and dry.

Yes still crack a window just a bit. Woke up a bit disoriented at the "10" shivaree. It scared me so I walked it off by getting out and the fog cleared instantly. Oxygen depravation is real!

Koolers are for keeping hot things hot as well as cold things cold. At 12 degrees ambient a good kooler still keeps your beer a frosty 32-34 degrees.

Any closed cabinet on an uninsulated wall area turns into a great refrigerator.

And last but not least don't lock your keys in the vehicle with all your heavy outer clothing. While putting bulky outerware in the vehicle does saves space in the camper it is damned cold waiting for the locksmith.

OH THERE YOU ARE !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: the lucky "13" shivaree

Postby indycamper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice, bobhenry! Still haven't decided 100% whether I'm going, but it does sound interesting. :NC
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 pm

OK gotta ask where it will be and when exactly. If I were to come Nancy will not :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Thinkin maybe Brown County state park, the site of the now infamous -1 deg Sunday morning wake up in 2008. Maybe January 26...that is in between NFL playoffs weekends. Already found some mighty fine Apple Pie variation!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Been there,done that, and I am gonna do it again !

That's six in a row!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby indycamper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Have had my own shivaree the last few nights on my way back from FL - not at all certain I want to spend the night when it's colder than freezing. But I will probably VISIT for the day!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Blotto Bros » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Have we made any decisions on this? :thinking:
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Just need dates :) If I can, I'm there!

Brown has heated showers right?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: the lucky

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 am

GerryS wrote:Just need dates :) If I can, I'm there!

Brown has heated showers right?

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :laughter:

The closest you get to heated anything is the good ol' coleman lantern ( If someone brings one :oops: )taking a little of the frost off of that cold stainless steel seat in the pit toilet

Beside B.O. freezes at 32 degrees so you won't smell. And if you do it will have to escape
3-5 layers of clothing to bother any of us.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 am

Blotto Bros wrote:Have we made any decisions on this? :thinking:

Dan's post suggests the weekend of the 26th. I hope we can go earlier we might miss the cool weather waiting that close to spring . :D

For those of you who have never been there is no need for a reservation as it is never real crowded :lol:

Camping fee is real informal they just wander by and collect 1/2 rate it's 11.00 - 12.00 and some odd change. Try and have little bills and a pocket full of coins as making change is difficult for the collecting ranger.

It is generally Saturday night only ( we are brave not stupid) We do watch the weather closely and have had to change parks (as one was snowed in) at the last minute so keeping an eye on the forum is kinda important for last minute updates. As of yet we have never had to move dates but in the event of really bad weather we will do just that if needed. Many of us are driving 150+ miles and we do not want anyone to have a problem with road conditions.

While the Shivaree is for bragging rights it really is a learning experience and while we primarily eat , swap lies, and spend time trying to crowd around the campfire it is a great opportunity to see the parks in a totally different perspective. All quiet and draped in white with a few curious deer wandering up close enough to window peak. I have enjoyed the past 5 and hope for many more :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

Sounds cool. Just Saturday? No brave souls there Friday? I've winter camped in a tent before. Wasn't that bad. The issue is keeping dry. That's doable on a tent. A drop aught to make that easy. As I missing something?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 am

GerryS wrote:Sounds cool. Just Saturday? No brave souls there Friday? I've winter camped in a tent before. Wasn't that bad. The issue is keeping dry. That's doable on a tent. A drop aught to make that easy. As I missing something?

Jeff 2 and I went Friday and Sat last year and I couldn't do 2 nights. After dark there is little to do but get colder and colder which means you retreat to the warmth of the trailer at dark and with sunset at 5:30 ish and day break not until 7:30 ish thats 14 hours in a little trailer. I was going mad as I can only sleep 4 - 5 hours and was up and out playing with the campfire until I was numb and retreated to my jail cell again. I just couldn't take the tight quarters that long again on the second night so I reluctantly left Sat. mid-day :oops: I didn't take even a radio and while solitude is wonderful ,solitary confinement is another matter.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:35 pm

bobhenry wrote:Jeff 2 and I went Friday and Sat last year and I couldn't do 2 nights. After dark there is little to do but get colder and colder which means you retreat to the warmth of the trailer at dark and with sunset at 5:30 ish and day break not until 7:30 ish thats 14 hours in a little trailer. I was going mad as I can only sleep 4 - 5 hours and was up and out playing with the campfire until I was numb and retreated to my jail cell again. I just couldn't take the tight quarters that long again on the second night so I reluctantly left Sat. mid-day :oops: I didn't take even a radio and while solitude is wonderful ,solitary confinement is another matter.

OK, yeh, thats definitely a good point. The one thing I hate about winter more than anything is the long nights and short days. I'm going to work in the dark, and geting home as the sun is setting. THAT is enough to drive you crazy.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby prohandyman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm

We can do earlier. I just picked that weekend because it falls in between the last NFL playoff game and the Super Bowl. But...we have in the past had TVs available for playoffs if needed!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Blotto Bros » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I will bring my ez-up and wall kit as well as my "MEGA" kerosene heater. If it gets too cold we can retreat into that. I will also bring a couple jars of moonshine...after a bit of that I won't care how cold it is out!!! :?
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Midwest