the lucky "13" shivaree

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: the lucky "13" shivaree

Postby GerryS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah I know. That's my one thought as well. But, in the summer, it's a fair trade...

Next warm day: Turtle wax
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby roadmaven » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi all! Hope to make it this year, but as always, "we'll see". Not sure if anyone has camped at a DNR facility this winter, but I got quite the shock last weekend! I hauled the Scotty down to Clifty Falls for an overnighter and to my :shock:, the rate for ONE night was $20.33! I don't know if all the campgrounds are going up, but I recall under the old rates that Brown County was $17-something in the off season to help pay for that nice warm comfort station at Buffalo Ridge they leave open in the winter! Well, there were NO comfort stations open at Clifty Falls! So I don't know if $20.33 a night in the off season is what the old $11.22/night is.
roadmaven
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 am

Talked with P.K. the office receptionist at Brown County moments ago and the new winter camping rate IS $20.33 and it IS to offset the cost of now having a nice warm year around comfort station. Our nightly camping rate will be $20.33 and I am all but confident there will still be the $5.00 (for in state guest) for gate admission.

I did forwarn them that the tiny trailers are coming ! :roll:

The $11.22 was a very nice bargain while it lasted but we the taxpayers were most likely paying for the shortfall. I don't think $11.22 from 12 - 15 trailers even paid for the gasoline, truck maintenance and Mr.Rangers wages for the day so it was bound to happen !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Well said Bob. The other option is to do what they so in other places....shift it down completely.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby prohandyman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Warm comfort station...as in heated??? I am not happy about the increased fee but....have you ever sat in a pit toilet in -1 deg weather for nature duties?? I will pay the increased fee!! Let me see...what smiley face goes with sitting in a cold pit toilet?
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Warm comfort station...as in heated??? I am not happy about the increased fee but....have you ever sat in a pit toilet in -1 deg weather for nature duties?? I will pay the increased fee!! Let me see...what smiley face goes with sitting in a cold pit toilet?

At least with a cold outhouse, the flies are moving slow enough you can mash 'em! :frightened:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:13 pm

OK, I just got off of the phone with Bob Henry...yes, he was working on his Caboose build, but I interrrupted him. He needed a lunch break anyway :thumbsup:
Anyway, he suggested I post something about which loop was used in 2008, etc. So here it is:

On page 7 of the 2008 Shiveree ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20312&start=90 ), there's a map of the Buffalo Ridge campground loop with a HEATED BATHROOM AND SHOWER :D The loop that you guys stayed at in 2008 is sites 70 to 92, with the lower 70's being closest to the HEATED RESTROOMS :lol:

I stayed in this loop in late August, and it was nice. All of the sites 70 to 92 are south facing (well, maybe southwest facing), meaning it will be warmer during the day, they all had large fire rings and picnic tables, and there were lots of trees behind the sites to the north. There's also lots of trees surrounding the entire loop. There's a large clearing near the HEATED RESTROOMS where a "community fire" could be.

So, this sissy (me) plans on being there with my Escaped2, space heaters, my new Little Red Campfire, Sunny Day and her brother, SPIKE, warm clothes and boots, IF it's not snowing. I figure it'll be an adventure, a 2-dog night (yeah, like an 8 lb dog and an 11 lb dog will keep me warm, right???), and it's cheaper than a Florida vacation :lol:

P.S. WARNING....when I stayed in site 88 in August, all of the asphalt drives and roads had been recently paved. The pavement was 4"+ taller than the ground around them. This is where I slipped off of the pavement, landed on my knee and needed 5 stitches. So, at least we know our entrance fees are paying for more than just warm bathrooms.....they're paying for new asphalt, too!!)
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 am

Well it looks like we are gonna have to put a drink limit in place we can't have folks fallin' down you know !

Yep Verna caught me out in the freezing rain sunday measuring for the baggage door jamb strips. Had just made a trip to work and had just ripped a couple sticks for the jambs and was just getting ready to paint them when the phone rang.

I kinda like the idea of a return to the "08" sites might be like old home week :thumbsup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well ladies ?????

Verna has broke up the boys club we need a few more of the fairer sex to join us to liven up the conversations and cook something edible :laughter:

12 more days
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am

That's a new one, Bob....Verna cooking something edible??????? As I recall from last year's Shiveree, your White Bean Soup was absolutely delicious!!!!

I could make some Potato Soup that you guys would probably like, but I'm afraid your guy's cooking abilities puts mine to shame!!!

I'll be more than happy to contribute some of the ingredients for Sunday breakfast.

PROVIDED....it's not snowing!!!!

Hey Bob, don't forget your TV, radio or a book this year.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 am

Well the weatherman is being good to us...........

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Nashville+IN+USIN0457:1:US

Mid 30's during the day and low 20's at night....

Hey Verna look " NO SNOW " :snow

Hope the park is still snow covered :thinking:

Shivaree pictures should not be grass green :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm

As of today....5 above on Friday night...8 above on Sat night
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm

prohandyman wrote:As of today....5 above on Friday night...8 above on Sat night

Brown County Shivoree's and cold just seem to go together :snow

Unfortunatlly I won't be able to attend Naturally there is a Scout thing Sat and Sunday. Also one the weekend of the May gathering :cry:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Woah!!!!!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Anyone going on Friday?
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Re: the lucky

Postby Verna » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Anyone going on Friday?

I think Sunny Day and I will be there Friday. You going to be there?
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest