the lucky "13" shivaree

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: the lucky "13" shivaree

Postby Blotto Bros » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 am

Bob..I like it!! Every year I burn myself with the fire somehow...maybe the rain suit will keep me further from the fire as well. OR at least the smell of melting plastic will warn me I am too close.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 am

All packed and rolling. Gonna make work today and head to Indy for the evening and head out early Sat AM for the park.

I do have a new lesson for winter campers who store their trailers outside.

Well the barn hadn't moved for a couple of months just setting on the rolling tongue jack.
Setting and sinking with each rain yep setting and sinking.

Well last night I went to hook up and the jack didn't have enough lift. No problem just raise it as high as it will go and block up the tongue, roll the jack back in and block under the wheel for more lift right ?

WRONG. Went to lift the wheel and it is frozen rock solid in the driveway well you know that little strip of sod between the gravel tracks.

Now should I take a chance and force the issue and break the wheel or the jack ?

Better heads prevailed so I strung out the extention cord and a space heater and with the 12 degree outside temp I might as well been using my breath and a soda straw to thaw the sod.

OK plan two..... made a styrofoam box out of a few of the blue foam sheets I am using for the caboose insulation. Made it small and cut to fit around the obstructions in the way and replaced the heater in it's little dog house. Well 4 beers and a couple trips later the jack wheel was finally freed with a little pop. I placed the blocking under the wheel and lifted to clear the ball and finally was hitched up.

Long story short place a big flat board under the jack when storing :x
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

OK, I can't make it tonight, but I'll be there around noon or so tomorrow. I would have had to drive back to Indy for Sunny Day's grooming in the morning, so with the snow and idiots not being able to drive, I figure it'll be safer to leave tomorrow. Plus, Daddy needed me to help him run an errand this morning. Family does come first (and we do NOT want Daddy driving, especially on snow!!!!).

I'll have some of my Veggie/Beef Stew/Soup hot in the crock pot (well, hot after a while when I get there) for a late lunch. Of course, it can always be heated up in the microwave for those who need some lunch quicker. And some wheat rolls to go with it. I'll also have some grilled cheese on wheat with or without sliced turkey for those with different taste buds.

Do you want me to bring anything else?
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Finally pulling out of the driveway. Only 2 hours late. Not bad for me.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Wish I could be there. But with an aluminum skin I'm not taking it to the salt flats. Have fun! Might swing through just to say hi tomorrow.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Ok... I pulled into site 73 BUT the bathroom had been winterized and locked. Should i move closer to the entrance where the other bathroom is?
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Moved to site 21 at least for the night. If everyone wants to go down to the other part tomorrow well move.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Re: the lucky

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Moved to site 21 at least for the night. If everyone wants to go down to the other part tomorrow well move.

Mike, I vote to stay closer to the restroom :oops: Which restroom is open? I don't see one close to site 21 on the map.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Verna wrote:
MikeyLikesIt wrote:Moved to site 21 at least for the night. If everyone wants to go down to the other part tomorrow well move.

Mike, I vote to stay closer to the restroom :oops: Which restroom is open? I don't see one close to site 21 on the map.

It's near the entrance to buffalo ridge. I think. I'll double check when we head into town.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:45 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:
Verna wrote:

It's near the entrance to buffalo ridge. I think. I'll double check when we head into town.

Yep. Just across the road from Buffalo Ridge entrance.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby Blotto Bros » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm

In site #20..Drove up from Louisville with no problems at all (interstate was dry)

I do get to eat cold food tonight..my propane regulator conked out and stove and furnace won't work :x

Good thing I brought 2 sources of heat..electric heater is doing a fine job of warming it up in here!!

Be careful once you get into the park..roads are a little slippery so just take it easy.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby MikeyLikesIt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Blotto Bros wrote:In site #20..Drove up from Louisville with no problems at all (interstate was dry)

I do get to eat cold food tonight..my propane regulator conked out and stove and furnace won't work :x

Good thing I brought 2 sources of heat..electric heater is doing a fine job of warming it up in here!!

Be careful once you get into the park..roads are a little slippery so just take it easy.

We have some 1lb tanks and a microwave if you need either.
MikeyLikesIt
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Blotto Bros wrote:In site #20..Drove up from Louisville with no problems at all (interstate was dry)

OK, can I get one for you on the way down there tomorrow? Give me a good description and I'll get it.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Re: the lucky

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm

MikeyLikesIt wrote:
MikeyLikesIt wrote:
Verna wrote:

Yep. Just across the road from Buffalo Ridge entrance.

Thanks
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Verna » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359240449.794564.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359240449.794564.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

We're here!!! Bob Henry, Jeff #2, Blotto Bros (RJ), Mikeylikesit (Michael and Orlando), myself and Sunny Day. Plus Whitney and his wife were kind enough to visit. We had a wonderful beef stew compliments of Bob. We're sitting in Bob's First Up with sides along with my Little Red Campfire and Jeff's short patio heater. It's definitely warmer in here than outside!!!

Next on the agenda are the 4 Kreg Jig DVD's.....if Bob leaves the warmth off the tent and gets his DVD player!!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest