Hoosier Chapter Spring (2013) gathering

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Hoosier Chapter Spring (2013) gathering

Postby pjo129 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Your a funny man, Bob. :D
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 am

O.K. When you said "cooking up" I was kinda expecting food.

If you search patrol box on this site I think I posted the site for the Boy Scouts design.

never mind I found it http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13972&p=181483&hilit=patrol+box#p181483

I built one for our year long camp site in 07 when we had the bigger camper permanently set. I built it to avoid cooking inside on nice days.

I made mine out of 3/4 osb and it was heavy as hell but it proved to be real handy.

Here is the best info on construction out of the link above. http://troop679.org/node/1155

And Auntie M's link shows how and what to pack for optimum use.

It's all good info from a bunch of great folks. :applause:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjo129 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 am

Bob, actually that's the name I chose for my trailer.

The actual set-up of the removable boxes will be very basic. It will pretty much just be a permanent place for the stuff I currently have in Rubbermaid totes. My plan is for it to be a removable "galley". I am using 3/4 ply that I got for free :D :D from work.

Now back to your normally scheduled Gathering discussion.

Put the Olson's down for some Boy Scout cobbler.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am

WELL FINALLY !

Ya got back to food. :laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Is it time yet? :campfire:

I'm ready! :vroom:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 pm

48Rob wrote:Is it time yet? :campfire:

I'm ready! :vroom:

Rob

I'll second that :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 am

Just a week away ! :thumbsup:

and the weatherman has a great weekend planned for us.

Thursday
May 16

77°
60°
Scattered Showers
Chance of rain: 30%
Wind: WSW at 10 mph

Friday
May 17
74°
59°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:10%
Wind: SW at 10 mph

Saturday
May 18
74°
56°
Mostly Cloudy
Chance of rain: 20%
Wind: S at 9 mph

Countin' down the minutes :beer:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Thu May 09, 2013 6:56 am

Just a week away ! :thumbsup:

I can't wait that long...

:vroom:

See you when you get there!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm

On my way back home from my 2 week, 4,000 mile, shake-down trip. AND I am so looking forward to the Spring Gathering....plus being "Back Home Again in Indiana...."!!!!' See everyone there!!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Fri May 10, 2013 5:17 am

Shakamak State Park has alot of of facilities if you are looking for things to do...400 acrea of lakes for fishing, paddling, etc. with paddle boats and row boats for rent, and a fishing pier. Of course lots of trails, a tennis court, horseback riding, a nature center, and a nice camp store.
Remember, Indiana has a somewhat strict rule when it comes to firewood...only de-barked wood can be brought in. Of course firewood can be bought at the camp store , or at local retailers. This can be a little expensive but it is what we have come to with the tree insect problems lately.
In case you are wondering where "Shakamak" came from. It means "waters of the long fish" from the Delaware Indians, which is what they called the Eel river nearby.
http://greenecountyindiana.com/attractions This website has alot of things to within Greene County. Nearby Linton is a very nice town with alot to see and do.

Also, remember to bring a bottle of wine, (or other beverage) and a snack or two for the wine and cheese event Friday evening. This has become a popular time for us all to meet and greet one another. And you do not have to bring alcohol if you so desire-it can be any beverage. Check with us after you arrive for the location of this and the pitch in dinner.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

Tripmaker wrote:I'll have to check out what you have. I have a Digi-Q that nails the temp in the BGE. I wonder if it would work with what you bought?

The acorn works ok...close the dampers and it goes out, so I'm sure a Digi-Q will work fine. I've got one, but I don't have the correct fitting for the fan....I don't low if one is available or not.

The acorn has worked ok, it's thermometer is crazy inaccurate so temperature control was a guess, and a place setter is missing. There is also a terrible lag between adjustment and when a temperature change registers. With a roast or chicken where temperature is CRITICAL, it would probably be disastrous, but with the amount of collagen in both cuts, moist isn't a problem.

Since I don't have a place setter, I simply put down an aluminum plate and that seems to help....I did a brisket and a butt, both tasted fine, and were tender and moist. A digi-q would have only helped. I will get a grate and terra cotta tile and make my own once I get time.

It is also easier to get prolific smoke....we used large chunk hardwood, my guess is that there is less room in the firebox, so I was actually getting fire to the wood. Even at the end (10 hours) I was still seeing wisps...and with a little air, was able to smoke out the campground :). As a note, I was using oak, I wish I had some apple or pecan...I like both better. It's was my first use of "oak". I'll probably never use it again.

The Kamodo worked well, but I see surface rust on the screws after a VERY rainy week. I'll have more opinion after a summer. But now, I'm reasonably happy with it...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

bobhenry wrote:Just a week away ! :thumbsup:

and the weatherman has a great weekend planned for us.

Thursday
May 16

77°
60°
Scattered Showers
Chance of rain: 30%
Wind: WSW at 10 mph

Friday
May 17
74°
59°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:10%
Wind: SW at 10 mph

Saturday
May 18
74°
56°
Mostly Cloudy
Chance of rain: 20%
Wind: S at 9 mph

Countin' down the minutes :beer:

Better than I had this week.....it sprinkled, rained, or stormed every day except yesterday, and today....we are leaving at 8 am tomorrow :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri May 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Something else to think about.

Our Fall gathering is coming up in a few months and it's time to discuss location and dates.

We had talked about Potato Creek State Park (near South Bend, IN) since it will be a little easier on the Northern members to attend.

Both of our gatherings (Spring and Summer) will be in Southern Indiana so it seems like a fair thing to have a "Northern Gathering" in the fall.

What are your thoughts on dates and locations??
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri May 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm writing to report that the park (Shakamak) is very nice, not surprising since Kurt and Dan and Scott are so good at choosing great places for gatherings! :thumbsup:

It is a little damp here, but should dry up nicely in a day or so.

Scott; you had me down as being in #32, which was correct, but because of the excess water in that spot :rainy: I've moved to #21.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Well looks like I might not make it I'm sitting here at St Vincent hospital as I type. Amy is having eye surgery for a detached retina and won't be allowed to do anything for the next 2 weeks so I'm gonna be playing nurse to her. I'll keep you posted on how it goes and see you all in July
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest