Kentucky Fall Gathering!!

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Kentucky Fall Gathering!!

Postby shortgmanp » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm

The Bluegrass Chapter Fall Gathering!!
September 20th/21st/2013

Elkhorn Creek Campground is a family owned and operated campground. The campground is located in the capital city of Frankfort, on the banks of Elkhorn Creek. The campground has blocked off sites 11- 18 for the Tearjerkers. These sites include electric and water hookups and are right on the Creek. The sites are reserved until September 2. Then they will be released to other campers. When you call for a reservation just tell the camp host that you are with the teardrop group. They will be sure to put you into our reserved area.

Where:
Elkhorn Creek Campground (http://www.elkhorncampground.com)
165 North Scruggs Lane
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Phone: 502-695-9154

Campground games: basketball, volleyball, horseshoes, and shuffleboard. Putt-putt is available for any member of the family. You can fish in Elkhorn Creek if you have a Kentucky Fishing license.

Activities:
You can drive a short distance and eat at several restaurants in Frankfort and shop several shopping areas.
You can drive a short distance and visit horse farms in Lexington, Versailles and Midway. Antiques are available in Georgetown, Midway and Frankfort. If you come during the week a scheduled tour of the Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plant is available. You can also visit Frankfort during the week and see how laws are made for Kentucky and how bourbon is produced. Genealogy can be studied at the State Library of Archives or at the Kentucky History Center.

Other nearby activities, including fishing, canoeing and kayaking on Elkhorn Creek, is available.
Yes, there is a lot of kayaking on Elkhorn Creek. We haven't paddled Elkhorn Creek yet, so I would recommend going to the Canoe Kentucky website at http://www.canoeky.com/ for more information. Here is some of the information I found on their website.
Considered by many to be the best place to paddle in Kentucky, the Elkhorn Creek valley is full of wildlife, breathtaking scenery, outstanding fishing and easy to challenging water.

The Elkhorn Campground is located at the Forks of Elkhorn, and there is a dam just downstream of the campground. Past the dam, the creek runs for 7 miles through Class II-III rapids with exposed limestone bluffs sometimes reaching 200 feet on each side (known as the Palisades). Almost continuous rapids, riffles and ledges dominate this section along with a mandatory portage around a dam. Depending on the water level, this stretch is great for intermediate to advanced paddlers.

Downstream of the white water section, the Elkhorn continues as an easy Class I+ stream running through a beautiful and intimate wooded valley for the next 14 miles before emptying into the Kentucky River. Throughout this stretch, long gentle pools are separated by riffles and small but exciting rapids. Perfect for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and at certain water levels, rafting. This "lower section", as it is sometimes called, is great for paddlers of all skill levels.

Reservations: 502-695-9154
The cost is $27.00 a night. They accept Good Sam and AAA for discounts. Campsite cancelation fee is $6.00 unless you cancel within four days of your stay. Then you will be charged for the first night.

Directions: From Lexington, Ky. take Interstate 64 west to exit 58. Turn right onto U.S. 60 and go 2.3 miles. Turn right onto U.S.460 east. Go 2.5 miles and you will see our sign on the right just after the bridge. Turn right on North Scruggs Lane and go .2 miles and bare to your right.
From Louisville, Ky. take Interstate 64 east to exit 58. Turn left onto U.S. 60 and go 2.3 miles. Turn right onto U.S.460 east. Go 2.5 miles and you will see our sign on the right just after the bridge. Turn right on North Scruggs Lane and go .2 miles and bare to your right.
Google Street view address: https://maps.google.com/?q=38.210590+-8 ... +40601,+us)

I will try and post an itinerary and map later, along with list of attendees.

Hope to see you there! :thumbsup:

:D
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Re: Kentucky Fall Gathering!!

Postby shortgmanp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

Friday night, at an area to be determined, we will have a Friday night meet and greet. This should take place around 7:00 pm. Bring your favorite beverage and some type of finger food or snack.

Saturday night, The fall gathering Chili Dump is a favorite of mine. We will gather and dump all the different chili recipes together. Always makes for a great tasting chili. If you can’t cook or just don’t want to. Bring crackers, peanut butter, cheese, onions, or any other side item you like in your chili.

Greg P
Chapter Director

:applause:
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby shortgmanp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I just found out today, that I will be flying back from a business trip on the 20th. I should be there before 6:00 pm, but you know how airports can be. I will be there as early as possible. I am trying to get the days changed,but it may not be possible. I am working on being a good director, but the boss don't care!

Thanks Greg Prater

;confused1;
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby Carter & Susan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:31 pm

We added another tear today. I think the count is up to 5 or 6. It's growing !!!!

:applause: :applause:
Carter & Susan
Gold Donating Member

Postby shortgmanp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:08 am

I can not wait to see old friends and meet new ones. Friends, camp fires, chili and relaxing! It could not get any better than that. :thumbsup:
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Return to Midwest