Hoosier Fall 2013 "Getting Together"

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Hoosier Fall 2013 "Getting Together"

Postby pjo129 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:19 am

The Patrol Box is all packed. Gonna try to leave work a little early. Should be to Lincoln before dinner.

See you all then.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 am

This was not a gathering on the tradition sense, it never intended to be, but a get together of friends who wanted to see each other...who because of schedules couldn't make it to the formal fall gathering coming up in a couple weeks.

The recipe was simple....

One Indiana parks, And even though the camp sites are a little small at this park, we were lucky. The of us there had a cluster pretty much to ourselves except a couple curious onlookers.

One very cute and curious nephew who had 4,436,276 questions. :)

2 great campfires with a dash of campfire started using a little twine, char cloth, and a fire steel ... blowing the ember to a very nice fire.

2 dogs that escaped their tent, fortunately one was dumb enough to lick the guards hand...they won't be allowed to watch. "The great escape" any more.

1 potluck with a bunch of goodies...an introduction to s'mores ...

We even seemed to avoid the rain. Although as I write this the green line on the radar isn't that far away...dark skies app say we're good for a bit...maybe enough for breakfast.

One more trip planned this year. It's going to be hard to top this one...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:29 pm

That was before the jeep popped out of park while trying to hookup. Taking serenity for a topysy turfy rife ending in no injuries, flaring tempers and no damage except a broken table leg.

Sorry for the come-apart Pete.

Just got home. Man that us a long drive...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm

It was fun to have a smaller gathering after two rather large gatherings (CRA and Little Guy's Rolling Home). I actually was able to remember everyone's names.....except I had trouble with Pete and Vicki's middle son's name....sorry, but I did finally get it straight.

Thanks to everyone for being so nice to my very inquisitive great nephew. I'm not sure he got to the 40 millionth question....maybe he did on the way home.... Thanks to Pete and Vicki's youngest son for his patience trying to help my great nephew to learn to ride his bike without those training wheels. My nephew and my brother will continue the lessons.

Food was good, company was great, campground was clean, temps were good--not too cool and not too hot, and I think we all enjoyed ourselves.

Indycamper's new Little Guy Mouse-K-Tear Gertrude is gorgeous!! Thanks to Little Guy for putting the new 2014 body on her frame. Now we don't have to worry about Sharon getting sick from the leaking Gertrude-1.

I sure thought I had 98% of my camping stuff put up Saturday night, knowing it would probably be raining Sunday morning. Boy did I get soaked to the skin putting those final things away soaking wet!!!

So, now I'm looking forward to the Potato Creek gathering. A bit cooler weather, I'm sure, but I have a really nice space heater, if needed :thumbsup:
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Did he actually try to ride? I could tell he wanted to, but was a little afraid....

I had a great time til it started to rain....i don't deal well with that at all....then having the jeep roll backwards taking the camper on a wild ride and almost squishing my dog....I'm exhausted and just glad to be home....

Note to self: Better rain gear, better packing and better self control....

I agree...it was nice being at a place where everybody knew my name....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Gerry, I tried the good ole "jealous" trick. I put the milk carton on the rear of my bike, and started riding away with Sunny Day. The great nephew was jealous and thought he could actually run beside me and keep up. He found out he couldn't, so he promised to try his bike so he could ride with me. I got him to the point that he knows how to use the coaster brake, and how to put the correct foot down when he was losing balance. That's as far as the lesson went. I couldn't get him steady enough for me to be able to let go of him. It started raining just as I got out of the shower this morning, so we didn't get any riding time in today. My brother and my nephew will continues with the lessons.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby pjo129 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Gerry, no worries. I completely understand. Glad it was only the table leg. Thanks again for teaching Preston to light the fire. He had a blast.

Got everything put up before the rain really got going. However, we drove home through rain all the way. I found out the hatch on the Patrol Box leaks while driving in the rain. Both corners were wet when we got home. Had no problems while stationary.

We had a great time with everyone. Sorry we can't make Potato Creek. See everyone at the Spring Gathering. Maybe the Shiveree if there is one and I get my roof insulated.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 am

The fire starting lesson definitely is a highlite for me as well.

We left about 30 minutes are you did as well. Same deal. Rain the whole way home. Leaks in odd places while pulling are common. Even ours does a little with certain tow vehicles. It's aerodynamics at work.

Next trip let's try clifty falls...the Lincoln pard is awesome, but the drive home about did me in :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 am

Just drive straight up SR 231 to Loogootee, and then follow SR 50 east to SR 37. Speed limit is 55 to 60, except in the towns. Scenic, nice fall drive, even in the rain.

And we HAVE to try Harmonie SP some time. I camped there in 1992 and it was quiet and peaceful, very nice for bike riding.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby indycamper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 am

Had a GREAT time! My Mouse-k-TEAR Gertrude is truly awesome. Love her to pieces. The only problem: I realized on the way home that I forgot to take any pictures the entire weekend! So if anyone has any they can email me, so I can put together a scrapbook page for the trip, I would appreciate it!

Both Verna and I left Lincoln soaking wet! Gertrude would not hitch up - I think she wanted to continue the fun. Actually, I stored the lock in the lock-hole, which kept the latch from moving, thereby keeping the hitch from engaging. Thanks to Verna for showing me the error of my ways! By the time we were half way home I was 2/3 asleep, though, so Verna headed on home and I pulled to the back of a parking lot for some shut-eye. Three hours later I was ready for the road again, and made it home without issue. The cat was VERY glad to see me - as usual he was starving to death!

See everyone in the Spring - if not at the Shivaree! I thnk Gertrude is solid enough that I plan on braving it for that this year!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am

I am so damn jealous ! We got a late start to KY to see my mom and took the more direct route and wasn't able to make the stop over. If it's any consulation we braved rain from Elizabethtown Ky to home. I hate interstates in the rain makes motorists crazy. I did get to meet up with Whitney K and Mark78 on the return leg. And yes I did get my monster bicycle. This thing is like an ox , the wheel spokes are as big as a soda straw. Truely a fat mans bike :laughter:

Thanks Mark you will not recognize it by the spring gathering It's gonna get fluffed and buffed big time. Thanks again.

Glad you all had a great time hope tater creek is as much fun.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Harminie looks a little far. We'd have to plan an extra day. When you have to get to Mass, and drive that far, it makes Monday morning just too darned difficult.

I really like Lincoln....nicest bath houses in the whole system.

2 complaints. Sites are a little small...and the wood a little expensive. $6 a bundle is a little high. But at least they are bagged and good sized. The vendor at brown county is doing everything as loose logs now, and their trolleys are broken down.

Sadly, the better sites are along the back edge.
And those are a
Long walk to the bathhouse. Oh well, can't have it all....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Bob, we know you tried to be there...wish you could have, but life has a way of happening...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby indycamper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:33 pm

bobhenry wrote:I am so damn jealous ! We got a late start to KY to see my mom and took the more direct route and wasn't able to make the stop over. If it's any consulation we braved rain from Elizabethtown Ky to home. I hate interstates in the rain makes motorists crazy. I did get to meet up with Whitney K and Mark78 on the return leg. And yes I did get my monster bicycle. This thing is like an ox , the wheel spokes are as big as a soda straw. Truely a fat mans bike :laughter:

Thanks Mark you will not recognize it by the spring gathering It's gonna get fluffed and buffed big time. Thanks again.

Glad you all had a great time hope tater creek is as much fun.

Missed you, Bob. Wish I could be at Potato Creek, but will be wandering around the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot that weekend. And believe me, it ws a hard call! I spent quite a few hours trying to figure out how I could be at both places, but sanity finally won out and I realized I'd have to choose only one. Since I'm meeting up with a group at WDW, and they couldn't change their dates, WDW won out.

Hopefully next year won't see a conflict!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Hey, Bob, Sunny Day and I missed you, and the great nephew would have loved yet another uncle!!!

Gerry, I-69 is open from Bedford down to I-64, just east of Evansville, and then you go to the last exit on I-64 in Indiana, go south to Harmonie SP. Oh, and you take SR 45 from Bloomington to I-69 to get on it. It's a great drive, without a lot of traffic. It cuts about 90 minutes off of the drive to Evansville.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest