Future Hoosier spring outing locations

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Future Hoosier spring outing locations

Postby prohandyman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Alright fellow campers...it has been brought to out attention that some of our friends would like us to consider gathering at a regular location every year, for one of our three outings. The spring outing has been suggested, and we would like to have opinions and discussion regarding this subject. If we agree on this, maybe start it in 2015. While we have not yet exhausted our list of different state parks, it might be something to consider for one outing each year. We still like to move around the state occasionally so everyone has a chance to drive to an outing closer to home.
Some of the pros...becoming familiar with the campground, maybe same sites, etc. known drive times and roads. Might attract more people on a regular basis.
Cons...
Let's talk it up on here and at 2014 outings as well!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Future Hoosier spring outing locations

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 am

Odd year summer outings are already fixed or at least very limited to the larger 200 plus site parks. I personally like the Spencer location for The Crossroads gatherings. I would like to see another multi state gathering in perhaps the even years. If we were to go to the Illinois line one even year and the Ohio line for the next even year we could enjoy larger more interesting gatherings. I really like the fact we have rotated our gatherings around the state, it has allowed us to grow in numbers and blossom as a group. I have visited 15 or more parks that I would probably have never been in had it not been for the rotation. The Illinois summer gathering is just over the state line near Danville Ill. perhaps we could join forces and have a multi state meet. I for one like the mystery of a new park and a new locations. There are many parks we have yet to investigate.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm

I like exploring new state parks that I haven't been to. But, I also know what spots to pick for the CRA after attending. Familiarity is a good thing, but exploring new parks is fun.

I vote for Shakamak for some other time than the Spring gathering.... Remember the Buffalo Gnats ?

I 'd love to visit Harmonie, Lincoln, Spring Mill (I personally haven't camped there), over by Brookville, near Terre Haute, and I've only been to Mounds, Tippecanoe River, Prophetstown, and Potato Creek in northern Indiana. There's a lot of the state parks I haven't been to, and I have a goal to camp in all of them.

I like Bob's idea to camp near Indiana 'a borders to be able to camp with the neighboring state's campers. How about adding southern Indiana to meet with those in Kentucky and southern Illinois and Ohio, and northern Indiana to meet with those in Michigan, Wisconsin and northern Illinois?
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Dan, as we discussed last week, the "common" location for the (eg. Spring gathering) like Spring Mill would give us a consistent place to meet that we are familiar with. We know where to pick sites and where not to.

I mention Spring Mill since it has had attendees from Illinois, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, etc. and has lots of room and some attractions that are fun to visit.

You are talking about a common meeting place each year (maybe spring) and then spreading out the other gatherings to places that are a little closer to the north or east (or other areas) for the Summer and the Fall gatherings.

This could easily be turned in to a Multi-State gathering as well. We'd have to talk to other directors about the scheduled events for other states.

There is no objection from me. I like the idea of knowing where we will be each year for the first gathering. It doesn't have to be Spring Mill but I would not suggest Shakamack or anything in that area after hearing the "Horror stories".

Maybe a common date each year would be good too, ie. the second week in May for the spring gathering. The summer gathering and Fall gathering could be done in a similar way. This would help with vacation planning also. (it doesn't affect me since I'm on permanent vacation, but for others it would help the planning.)

Let's hear some more thoughts and see where it leads us.

Another thought is to share States for the main gatherings each year. We (Hoosier Chapter) could sponsor the Spring gathering and maybe Michigan (Great Lakes Chapter) could sponsor the Summer gathering. (it's probably cooler in Michigan in the summer). and so on... Just a thought...
:thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I have to say that the rotation is a lot of fun for me. I would hate to lose the variety that this gives us the chance to experience .

Mark
Last edited by Mark72 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 am

I like the fixed dates, but I'm not sure about fixed parks. I think fixed regions are ok....spring in huge south, central for summer, north for fall.....

I like going to different places, unless there is a particularly appealing location...

-G
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Mark G wrote:I have found that I enjoy the variety of going to different parks from year to year. I am excited to be going back to turkey run next spring but the main thing is that we get to see our friends that we enjoy camping with so much!

Mark

Mark, just so there's no confusion...this would only be for the "One" of the gatherings each year. Could be Spring, Summer or Fall.

No decisions or plans have been made since it's only a "poll question" at this point.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Kurt,

I like the idea of knowing ahead of time "when" the spring, summer, and fall meets will be.
It is very helpful to plan vacations and get time off.

I would love to have spring, summer, and fall meets in dedicated parks, then, I can/could choose my favorite parks (like Spring Mill) and choose ahead of time which meets were closest to me and get the time off.

Having a dedicated date for the major meets, but changing/rotating the locations may be an option to please all the members?

Perhaps having 3-4 main/favorite/best parks for two of the major meets, and the rest to be held at the "unknown" parks would allow familiarity for most, and the exploration of the unknowns would appeal to the rest?
I agree with Mark that the variety is a lot of fun.
I enjoy exploring new parks and areas I otherwise would likely not visit, and would hate to lose that option, but having something set in stone along with variety might work?

No matter what the decision, I'll continue as I always have; coming to the meets locations that are close to me/are appealing, and skipping those that are too far away, or do not interest me.
I'd guess most of the members do something similar.
You and Dan are doing a fine job! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TimJones » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:07 am

I think rotating parks has worked fine, set week-ends would be fine, but if the perfered park is 5 or six hours from me, I start to think
about that drive two three years into it would not be too great to go to the same park. One problem might be over protection of "my
campsite" It would happen!! I love it sometimes I go 100 miles and I am there, sometimes 250 or anywhere in between. If it ain't broke
don"t fix it works for me.

IMHO Tim Jones
Tim and Judy
------------------------
TimJones
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 am

TimJones wrote:I think rotating parks has worked fine, set week-ends would be fine, but if the perfered park is 5 or six hours from me, I start to think
about that drive two three years into it would not be too great to go to the same park. One problem might be over protection of "my
campsite" It would happen!! I love it sometimes I go 100 miles and I am there, sometimes 250 or anywhere in between. If it ain't broke
don"t fix it works for me.

IMHO Tim Jones

:thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Midwest