Hoosier Chapter Summer Gathering 2014

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Hoosier Chapter Summer Gathering 2014

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Blotto Bros wrote:For those coming from the South (put your shoes on before you cross the river please :lol: ) if traffic starts looking bad, you may want to consider getting off at exit 19 and head East over to Hwy 31 (1/2 mi) then go North. I noted three options on the map below.

HaHa.... Yes I promise to wear shoes...pants on the other hand are another story :frightened:

What site did you reserve?

Never mind....I see it (#67)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Starve Hollow July 17-19, 2014

(28) Summer gathering sites:

3 Kurt
4 Tom & Susan
5 Gerry
8 SherryK
9 Mark G.
10 Rick & Leona
11 Verna
12 Sharon
13 Dave C.
14 Jeff
15 Bob H.
16 Mike W ("the three wide men")
18 Carter & Susan
20 Mikey
21 Mark, Eva, Jacob
22 Billy K
26 Marty
30 Todd & Kara
67 Blotto Bros
68 Suzi G
69 Loren
71 Jim & Vicki
73 Rich & Cat
74 Frank and Deanna
75 Dan & Laura
76 Pam S
78 John & Rose
85 Dave & Jan

Looks like a great crowd for this one.

Don't forget your fishing pole. Prizes awarded for the winners.
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Alright food lovers... Lets do the pitch in menu...
Suttons are down for Dirty rice ( smoked sausage, onions, green pepper, beans, all over rice), corn on the cob!!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Verna will bring Chicken Breast Tenderloins cooked with diced tomatoes, sweet peppers and mango (expanding my cooking ability--tried it on my family and they're still alive ;) ).
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:41 am

OMG VERNA'S COOKIN' :frightened:

I'm gonna roll back to the all time favorites and do yet another monster meatloaf.

I am also gonna try my hand at a s'more's cake ( It is a total seat of the pants experiment so please be kind)

I guess if it flops I could blame it on Verna :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:11 pm

I'll keep a list for the menu.

Kurt - breaded (thin-center cut) pork chops.
Bob H - Monster Meat loaf (Smores cake)
Dan & Laura - Dirty rice ( smoked sausage, onions, green pepper, beans, all over rice), corn on the cob
Verna - Chicken Breast Tenderloins cooked with diced tomatoes, sweet peppers and mango

Who's going to make "pan fried" fish?? I guess we should catch some first.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Starve Hollow Summer gathering.

Events:

Friday Meet & Greet (Wine & Cheese) 5:00pm

Saturday - Fishing contest - 10:00am - 2:00pm
Rules for the contest:
#1 Anything "live" (from the water) will count.
You'll need a witness or a photo to verify the catch.
Who ever catches the most "lake dwelling things" will win a fabulous prize.
First, Second, and Third place will win a prize.

Pitch-in Dinner - 6:00pm also Fishing contest awards

Saturday night movie- 9:00pm TBD
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby DrCrash » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Packed and ready to go.
We will be there Wed afternoon
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:12 pm

DrCrash wrote:Packed and ready to go.

Wow, You guys sound excited. I know the feeling; I'll be there Tuesday. Should be a great week of camping.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm

DrCrash wrote:Packed and ready to go.

Wow, You guys sound excited. I'll be there Tuesday. Should be a great week of camping.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am

Kurt you are repeating yourself ! :laughter:

Weather man is telling us what we want to hear highs barely in the 80's and cool nights in the low 60's. I am gonna try and drag Chubby out of his corner in the barn. He is old and beat up after 6 years of setting in the weather 24/7 and it will be his last outing until he gets a new exterior. I am planning on the same FRP panel I have used on the 4x7 and the chuck wagon. Perhaps a sand or dove gray.

I was hanging drywall like a mad man as it is lying in the exit path I need to extract him from his corner in the building.

Who am I kidding :shock: ( He is the black glob behind the Jeep )
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm

A little Vallonia, Indiana History

Fort Vallonia
Vallonia was a French settlement of the late 18th century and lay between the Muscatatuck River and White River's east fork (aka Driftwood). Circa 1810, hostilities began between the settlers and Native Americans. Governor General William Henry Harrison ordered a fort built as well as a number of other defensive structures including a large stockade, garrison, blockhouses, and a spring.[3] to be built to protect the some 90 families in the area. Two companies of Indiana Rangers were stationed here during the War of 1812.

Huff's fort and Ketcham's fort were two other fortifications, though not as large. Huff's fort was said to be "higher up" than Vallonia and Ketcham's "still above".[4]

One of the new companies of Indiana Rangers was newly organized, and set out to investigate claims of a Native American war party near Brownstown, Indiana. Finding no war party, the company returned to Fort Vallonia, but one ranger, Robert Sturgeon, rode ahead. He was ambushed by Native Americans and killed. The rangers, in a panic, rode hard back to Fort Vallonia, never stopping to help Sturgeon.[5] Five civilians finally left the fort to recover Sturgeon's body, and buried it near the fort. When Major John Tipton arrived and learned of the rangers' conduct, he assumed command of the fort and began routine drills of the two companies stationed at the fort. A later skirmish, known as the Battle of Tipton's Island, allowed the rangers to prove their ability to engage Native Americans.

Numerous attacks and skirmishes occurred between the Rangers of Fort Vallonia and American Indians during the War of 1812. Attacks in this area of the Indiana Territory diminished after an expedition to destroy the Miami village at the confluence of the Wabash River and Mississinewa River. That expedition left Fort Vallonia on 1 July 1813, led by Colonel William Russell in command of the Indiana Rangers and Major Zachary Taylor in command of the 7th Infantry Regiment, as well as a company of Kentucky volunteers. The force destroyed the deserted village, which had been heavily fortified by Tecumseh, but covered 500 miles without encountering a single Native American.[6]
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 am

Well 2 hours of digging and rearranging and Chubby is free. He is setting in the parking lot here at work waiting for a bath when I get off work.

I noticed a couple clearance lights not working and a right tail light not blinking guess I will see what's up with that.

He sure looks sad ! Covered in dust and a dab of bird poo here and there. I need to give him a little lovin' the next couple days and see what damage I can temporarily band aid back together.

The good side is he kinda looks vintage ! :rofl2:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 am

OK Folks, have another map for y'all.
This one is some "Points of Interest" while you're in the area. I'll post descriptions and links below for more info.

If you need fresh produce or want to stop for a bite to eat that's close by, try Tiemeyer's Farm Market. It's about a mile before you get to Starve Hallow coming in off Hwy 135. Circle drive with plenty of parking for you and your trailer. http://tiemeyersfarmmarket.com/

Back in Vallonia you have the Bluebird Cafe which can fix you a burger and supply adult beverages:
https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdcafeIN?rf=161760477196648 Their logo: Best Bar, Bar None!

And let's not forget Sally at the Whistle Stop, she's only open from Wed - Sat 6:30-10:00am servin' up breakfast. It's a small place decorated with old train stuff.

Down from the Bluebird you have the Joe Jackson Hotel: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Joseph_Jackson_Hotel Beautiful woodwork has been restored on the front, the rest is still in the process of restoration as funds are available. Sally at the Whistle Stop will be glad to fill you in on this (& how to donate). More Jackson County Historic info can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Jackson_County,_Indiana

The Medora Covered Bridge: http://www.medoracoveredbridge.com/ is a "must see" in the area. Recently restored, there is a State Access parking lot on the West end of the bridge for easy turn around. Be sure to visit during your "comings & goings".

Eagles nest is a little hard to see this time of year, but I thought I'd throw it in there. Probably not anything in it at this time of year. When they let the water level way down several years ago you could count up to 24 bald eagles at a time on Starve Hollow Lake. Easier pickings when the water's down, the fish are concentrated. Pretty cool from a nature perspective.

If you're out drivin' around on the back roads, we've even got some round barns and other neat things to see.

Anyway, hope y'all enjoy yourself while you're down in our area. If you do decide to stop in and visit some of the locations, tell them Whitney (from the Health Dept) sent ya. Who knows, might even be good for a discount. ;) :lol:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Still can't believe you can make it and it's only 20 some miles from home !

SHAME ON YOU !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest