Crossroads of America July 23-26, 2015

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: Crossroads of America 2015

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am

I don't go to be a pre-madonna and show off my poor old home built I go to be with good friends old and soon to be new. While I realize there is a cost involved in joining in the fun, I find it worth it. We all hope you will reconsider as you will be missed. Many members of the Hoosier group and our neighboring state chapter heads work for 8 to 10 months on this gathering and the results show with 40 some states represented and 300 plus smiling faces to greet you. We hope you will reconsider and come join us. As to Barney Fife several of us addressed this after the 2013 gathering with the park manager perhaps it will have been resolved.

Bob Henry
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DrCrash » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 am

Bob I really appreciate your words. You are a good guy. I don't go so people can ogle me or my trailer.
I went in the past to see all of the other trailers, yours included.
I am having real problems with my eyes and here lately there even worse.
The park is hard to navigate, uneven ground, over grown.
I still believe we are showcasing the trailers and meeting with friends and
making new ones. I just wish it was in a park that was nicer and less overgrown, like Chain o lakes.
Sorry about over reacting on the price per day, misread it .
I also know there are a few guys who put in a lot of time to make this happen, thanks to them for it...
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I have been to both parks in the dead heat of summer. The only saving grace in the 95 plus heat in 2011 at McCormick's creek was the trees. Chain o lakes is a gorgeous well groomed park but some sites are 2 city blocks away from a tree. We tree huggers refer to these as golf course parks. McCormick's Creek does have all paved roadways and I negotiated my visits by way of the pavement as I have a knee that is holding on by a thread. One bad twist and I am down for the weekend. More than 1/2 of the CRA I would venture is over 50 and we all have our years of wear and tear on us. I would have loved to visit each and every site at the last two CRA'S but like you I am starting to have a little trouble navigating the distance. I have lived the last 8 or so weekend on step ladders and you may see me breeze by in a mobility scooter :frightened:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 pm

If I may give my two cents worth, We have, in the past, absorbed some of the related expenses, and/or relied on sponsors to help offset the costs. Some times we cover the costs and sometimes we don't. And a few of the planners have taken a financial hit on expenses not covered. Expenses such as banners and signs, decals, rental tables, trophies, extra event shirts not sold, etc. As a matter of fact we are planning on renting even more tables next year for the wine and cheese and pitch-in dinner so we don't have to "borrow" any heavy campground picnic tables from someone's campsite. It just comes down to no one having to lose money personally. Not one of the organizers make a single penny off this gathering! A small rally fee is acceptable at most other camper rallies. We sincerely hope this doesn't come off as offensive to attendees!
Having said all that I am also one of the sponsors, and will contribute all I can to help defer costs.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catleppert » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 pm

Definitely looking forward to CRA2015!
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for all of the input regarding the CRA 2015. It is a fun event and well attended in past years.

A little history on funding the event.

2011 CRA : Nearly all the (142) Camp reservations were made (by me) for each site at the event. We (the CRA organizers) charged $3.00 per day to help defer some of the costs not covered by sponsors.

$3.00 per day x 3 =$9.00 for the normal gathering stay. You received a free shirt but had to pay $4.00 for breakfast.
Adding that up I get $13.00 to attend the event and enjoy a Saturday morning breakfast.

2013 CRA: Campers made their own reservations, needed to "pre-pay" for a T-shirt, but still had to pay for breakfast. $11.00 + $4.00=$15.00

2015 CRA: This time your registration fee ($25) gets you a T-shirt plus (2) breakfasts which adds up to $12.00 (t-shirt) plus $8.00 (two breakfasts) = $20.00 worth of value included in your registration fee. The point is that your actual fee for the gathering is $5.00 and, believe me, it's a big help when organizing and funding a large gathering.

The sponsor fees should fund the remaining costs for the gathering.

If my math is correct:

"This is a pretty good deal" and should benefit everyone and make the gathering enjoyable for all who attend.

Please keep in mind that there are many hidden expenses and hopefully we will have a "break even balance" at the end. This has not been the case in past years.

Please come and enjoy the gathering. There is always a discussion about reserving early so you get the site you really want and it's no different this time.

Keep the comments and discussions coming. "CRA fever" is a good thing to have.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby pjo129 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm

We're already planning our family vacation so we can stay all week. Gorgeous park. Didn't see hardly any of it last year.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:25 pm

In preparation for the CRA 2015, I'm trying to remember who it was who brought the big grill (griddle) that we used for the Saturday breakfast in 2013.

If anyone knows, or knows of a large grill available, it would be a great "plus" for the breakfast cooking.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 pm

CRA 2015 campers, Registration form and money should be sent to me.
Make sure the checks are made out to my name so I can deposit them.
The address is on the registration form and is found at:
http://cra2015.weebly.com/uploads/5/6/1 ... -ks3-1.pdf

In January the reservations will be available through the "reserve america.com" web site (not the CRA site)
Campers will reserve their own spots. Same a last time, I won't be reserving the sites.
http://indianastateparks.reserveamerica ... iteria=new

There are several campers "registered" but there are no campsites reserved at this time. It will be a "free-for-all" when they open in January. (6) months in advance of the camping date.

So far, I have not started a thread (on the forum) to show who has registered. Later this year (before the reservations are open) I'll show a list of attendees.

The excitement is already building.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Just makin' sure you are awake out there.

Registration for CRA 2015 can be done anytime up until the gathering but doing it this year will keep you interested.

You can use this form to register and send in your fees.
REGISTRATION LINK

Stay warm and enjoy the early winter weather. Spring will be here soon enough.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:19 am

I am please to announce that the Southern Appalachian Chapter has offered to become one of the "Host" chapters for the CRA 2015.

This addition to the original Host chapters (Great Lakes, Land of Lincoln, Bluegrass, Buckeye, Mountaineers and Hoosiers) will add to the fun and activities for the CRA 2015.

Eric Weston is the new Chapter Director and has offered his help in any way for the CRA 2015 gathering.

Thanks Eric, just as you have at previous CRA gatherings, your help is always welcomed.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:11 am

We're going to need a bigger park....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 am

GerryS wrote:We're going to need a bigger park....

We always have !

Each CRA there have been several campers left out without a place to camp.

SO to all interested get your reservation the very minute you are able.

If plans change you can cancel or someone will gladly reimburse you for your reservation deposit.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 pm

I've added a new item to the possible "Games" for the CRA.
I thought we needed some games for the Breakfast on Saturday morning. Last time (CRA 2013) we had a "Waffle Feast" competition featuring Cliff's "Waffle Dog" cooking.

This year we could expand the fun by adding "Pancake Art" to the breakfast. This could be a lot of fun and show off some of your creative talents as well.

Check out the CRA 2015 "Games" section of the web site.
GAMES

Comments are welcomed.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:47 pm

*Nudge, nudge* It worked! Sent in my registration! :) Now I just need to mail my check in.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest