Campfires

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Campfires

Postby GerryS » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:57 am

I'm tired of paying as much as we do to buy firewood at the camp stores. I have a truck, and mostly camp in Indiana. Any recommendations where to buy a truckload (or partial truckload) of seasoned firewood with a usda sticker?

I'm looking to save some money, as well as to be more convenient than buying stretch plastic wrapped logs....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Campfires

Postby Verna » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:20 am

Little Red Campfire
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 pm

No, I know you like it. Hank hill may like it. But for me, There's no substitute for the therapeutic property's of tending a fire... (Off to brown this weekend if all goes well!)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:25 pm

I don't know what it's like in Indiana, but near where I camp in State and National Parks in Pa I can purchase a wood cutting permit off of the National Forest service and cut up to ten cords of wood per year. Only issue is you can only cut wood in selected areas which may or may not be near where you might want to camp.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:07 am

I'm looking to buy a stack and just it as I need it, having the usda paperwork with me. It's that usda paper that is important here because of the emerald ash borer infestation that is devastating the east. We aren't supposed to even move wood without that inspection. I'm sure it's like FDA inspectors at a meat packing plant....they don't get much real inspecting done. But it's the law and I've had enough run ins with small minded beaurocrats lately.

Besides I'm looking for less work, not more of cutting my own timber :). That sounds like work!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:02 am

Gerry go to smoked-meat forum and ask ritchtee if he can help you out. Tell him you know dale from oz.
Tell him I said hey
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:03 am

We have to certify our pallets and crates as heat treated to comply with international shipping.
Many pallet plants and some sawmills heat treat their lumber for the same reason.
Their off cuts and dunnage can be stamped to comply. Most will give you a truck load for free or damn
near to reduce their "trash" stream.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:34 am

Check you local laws. Here in Colorado and other west states you can get fined if you bring firewood wood from out of state to many of the western states. The concern is bring into or moving pine beetle or other pest from state to state. I always look outside the parks and you can usually find some local selling it for half the price that it is at the campground. I also like the campfire in the can on propane then you don't have to worry about fire restrictions

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 pm

You guys are making this complicated. Tangled. Confusing. Puzzling. Challenging.

Nothing like flank steak over a buffalo "chips" fire. 8)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Perhaps buffalo poo wouldn't have the Emeral ash borer hiding in it.

I would sure like to be the one to ask our Indiana Dept of natural resources rangers that question :rofl2:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 39Ratrod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am

I hope you can buy a cord or maybe even a half cord of wood with the sticker and paperwork. If you can, to make the wood more manageable you can always wrap it your self into whatever size bundle you like. I bundle my own using a 5"x1000ft hand wrapper bought from Walmart for $8. One wrapper makes about 20 bundles for me, and I completely wrap the wood to keep the mess down.

Each bundle burns about 2hrs give or take. The first bundle goes faster and the subsequent bundles last longer.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:08 am

dales133 wrote:Gerry go to smoked-meat forum and ask ritchtee if he can help you out. Tell him you know dale from oz.
Tell him I said hey

dale, which forum? There are scads of them.. Just what I need another forum...I have a smoker/BBQ addiction as well :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 am

It's called smoked-meat.
Search it in Google or tapatalk as I typed it.
Fantastic people and rich (one of the mods) and I spent many an hour on the phone while one of us was cooking and the other was just getting up or going to bed.
Lovely guy and cooks against Myron and the big league and won alot of comps.
He makes his own brings and rubs sold under the mad hunky brand...very good stuff I've got a cupboard full of it.
Tell him you know me and I'm sure he can hook u up with some we'd in your area.and try his rubs and chicken wing seasonings
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 am

39Ratrod wrote:I hope you can buy a cord or maybe even a half cord of wood with the sticker and paperwork. If you can, to make the wood more manageable you can always wrap it your self into whatever size bundle you like. I bundle my own using a 5"x1000ft hand wrapper bought from Walmart for $8. One wrapper makes about 20 bundles for me, and I completely wrap the wood to keep the mess down.

Each bundle burns about 2hrs give or take. The first bundle goes faster and the subsequent bundles last longer.

This is what I am looks for. I just spent a coup,e days at our favorite state park and had to pay $5 for a bundle I could easily carry in one arm...it's gotten ridiculous.

I know little red campfires are an option, but darn it, if I wanted to sit my a gas flame I can do that at home by the gas range. What I'm looking for....and Indiana source for a half cord of seasoned firewood with a USDA sticker... I know the DNR posts a list of vendors, I'm hoping to find a vendor with sells bulk without a camp store packs and price.

I know I can't transport across state lines...all the laws are posted by the DNR.

bob, palate wood is great tinder (1 palate lasts me at least a summer) but it's too small and dry....they burn up in no time. The larger hardwood log is what I'm looking for.

-G
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Midwest