Campground recommendations-Lake Superior

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Campground recommendations-Lake Superior

Postby skybear4 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Looking for suggestions on good camping spots around Lake Superior, Bayfield/Ashland, WI for this coming July 8 or so for several days.
Will be new to the area.
skybear4
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Campground recommendations-Lake Superior

Postby skinnedknuckles » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:34 pm

David,
There is a small campground near the ore dock in Ashland at Kreher park beach , or how about Copper Falls State park East of Highbridge. There is Memorial beach park in Washburn it has showers. Big Bay State park on Madeline Island is just a ferry's ride off of Bayfield. If you are up for the short drive there is Presque Isle campground on the Western side of the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan ( one of my Favorites ) it has an awesome walkway along some cool waterfalls and a suspension walking bridge down to Lake Gitchegumee ( Lake Superior ). And all thru the "Porkies" there are camping areas along South Boundary Road. One thing to remember is to keep a clean campsite up there a be aware that you are sharing the area with black bears, don't let that scare you off though, there have been many times over the years where I have camped up there and have not even seen any sign of them. There is also a campground in the Apostle Islands National lake shore off of Little Sand Bay Road in the town of Russell that is pretty nice right on the shore, but not much for trees between the campsites. I plan on going up to the "Porkies" again this summer to hike out to the place where the B-17 bomber crashed back in 1944 .
Have fun ,
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Re: Campground recommendations-Lake Superior

Postby skybear4 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:47 am

Paul, thanks for all the in depth info. Some of the suggestions you mentioned I've got on my list to look into.
We're looking forward to the trip. Dave.
skybear4
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Midwest