Hocking Hills SP

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Hocking Hills SP

Postby Tear Fan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:32 am

Hey, Y'all -

Any of you Buckeyes ever been to Hocking Hills State Park in Logan? Jennifer and I are camping there in our new Silver Shadow this coming weekend - June 10th and 11th - before pulling our little tin can home. Would like to hear experiences there. (Ben Stein voice . . . ) Anyone? Anyone? :thinking:

Thanks to all y'all! :cheerswine:
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Endo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:54 pm

We have camped at Hocking Hills.
We usually go in the fall to enjoy the "fall color",
but any time of the year is pretty.
Lots of great hiking trails with caves and waterfalls.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Hocking Hills

Postby farmerchuck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:40 am

My wife and I camped there in April with our new Silver Shadow. Nice State Park. We did a 6 mile loop trail from Old Mans Cave to Ceadr Falls and back. Was a nice hike. We are headed to NY with out teardrop next week.
farmerchuck
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WarPony » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:38 pm

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA (yes, I'm yelling)!!!!!! Where is this place that Endo has pictures of?!?!?!? This is absolutely what I am looking for for my vacation in August!! Man, I love this type of hiking!!

Those pics remind me of Rickets Glen SP in Pennsylvania. I will never forget the time my friend, Kimber, took me to that park. It was a part of my life that I will never forget. If you can go, please visit it.

I love caves, canyons and waterfalls. It seems like you are on another planet. Dude, those pics get my blood pumping!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:09 am

The bottom pic reminds me of the Alum Cave Bluffs in the Smokies.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Endo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:13 pm

WarPony wrote:WHOA, WHOA, WHOA (yes, I'm yelling)!!!!!! Where is this place that Endo has pictures of?!?!?!? This is absolutely what I am looking for for my vacation in August!! Man, I love this type of hiking!!

Those pics remind me of Rickets Glen SP in Pennsylvania. I will never forget the time my friend, Kimber, took me to that park. It was a part of my life that I will never forget. If you can go, please visit it.

I love caves, canyons and waterfalls. It seems like you are on another planet. Dude, those pics get my blood pumping!!

Both pictures are taken in the Hocking Hills area. Hocking Hills State Park in Logan Ohio. It is a pretty place. If your in the area it is worth a visit. I checked on Mapquest, it would be a long drive from your area (12 hours or more).

The hiking trails are pretty easy. It's not "backwoods hiking". The trails are clearly marked and maintained. Not sure if that is the type of hiking you are looking for.

If you decide to go make sure you let me know.

Brad (aka Endo)
Last edited by Endo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Endo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Here are a few more pics for you.

This is taken from inside "Rock House" cave looking out.
These are my two boys on one of the trails. Parts of some of the more popular trails are paved.
This tunnel through the rock is pretty cool!
This is called the "Devil's Bathtub".
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:59 pm

WOW, those are awesome pictures!! I'm there in August!! Thanks, Endo Brad!!
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Tear Fan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:23 am

@Warpony - This area is indeed reminiscent of Rickett's Glen. I was there in July of '05 and have just returned from Hocking Hills where Jennifer and I stayed last Saturday and Sunday nights. We stayed in the Old Man Cave campground, across from about 100 Mennonites. They had a "singing" on Saturday night, and it was like hearing angels!!! The park employees are about the friendliest I have ever encountered, the facilities are clean and well-maintained, and everything is as convenient as you could ask for. All trails are well-marked and everyone is knowledgable about the park and the geography. This is one trip I would recommend to anyone. It took us about 2 hours to set up our little Silver Shadow, one-and-a-half hours of which was comprised of talking to interested parties about our teardrop. One word regarding Hocking Hills SP: GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ilovecamp:
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:41 pm

Those pictures and replies to my questions sealed the deal. We are heading to Ohio in August for vacation!!
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby IndyCubby » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:04 pm

That landscape is stunning!

Hey Warpony....on your way to OH, you should stop in Madison, Indiana (along the Ohio River) and go to Clifty Falls State Park. It is my absolute favorite state park here in Indiana. Depending on how you drive to Ohio, it might be kind of on your way.

You could spend at least a couple of days just hiking the trails and looking at the waterfalls. I have been there when it is very dry and you can walk the riverbeds for miles. When the water is high, people go wading in the creeks and the waterfalls are roaring. You have to like steep trails, though, because the whole park is set around a cavern....kind of like a very mini grand canyon.

Madison, the town nearby, is a very old river town with lots of antique shops and winery's....you can hike and then go booze it up with some local vino.

Go check out the videos:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/clifty_v ... video.html
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Gambam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:30 pm

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

I grew up in Logan, lived there off and on till 95. The area is prettiest in Ohio. I just hosted a event for my car club down there june 17th, and I got to drive some of the back roads that I learned to drive on. It was a blast. People ask me what the parks are like, and I always compare the area to a mini ver of the smokie mountains, without the 5 zillion go cart tracks/minigolfs.

info on the area

http://www.hockinghills.com/

http://www.1800hocking.com/

http://www.hockinghillspark.com/
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Alright Gambam, since you are a local, where do you like to camp in Hocking Hills? We are heading there next month. TearFan liked Old Man Cave camping area.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Gambam » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:12 am

to tell the truth I've only camped at the state park once as a kid. It was nice. We always went a little farther south to camp.

http://www.hockinghillspark.com/camping.htm

If you need any tips on places to go around the area Pm me.
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Endo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:23 pm

The State Park can also provide you with maps of the various trails in the area. :thumbsup:
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Next

Return to Midwest