Fall Colors Trip @ Breaks Interstate Park on Oct 6 - 8, 2006

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Fall Colors Trip @ Breaks Interstate Park on Oct 6 - 8, 2006

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Is anyone interested in a Fall Colors Trip :D to one of the prettiest places in the southwest VA / eastern KY area? We are planning on going to Breaks Interstate Park the first full weekend in October. The campground is strictly on a first come first served basis, but is absolutely first rate. The park is managed jointly by the states of VA and KY and you meet some really great people.

This trip (for us) is timed to coincide with the first weekend of the fall draw-down of the J.W. Flanagan reservoir - Release Schedule. If anyone has any interest in spending an October weekend here, we'd love to have some teardrop company.
:twisted:

Bring your boats, too. There is a small lake in the park that is available for paddling use (they have paddle boats available, too). The J.W.Flanagan reservoir (about 15 miles away) may also be available. I'll have to check into that for sure. In addition to that, the fall release from the reservoir sends water into a class III section of river that is fun (for those people who have experience in whitewater) and a class V+ section for expert (or just plain crazy) whitewater paddlers :shocked: . If anyone is interested in the lake prospects, let me know and I can enquire (or you can call yourself!).

There is also a horse livery in the park and multiple trails for hiking and mountain biking. There is a decent restaurant in the park that has a dining room that overlooks the river gorge and probably one of the nicer views from a restaurant that I've ever seen. So, if you don't want to cook, you don't have to. The restaurant is about a half mile from the campground.

We will be getting there early afternoon on that Friday and would be willing to hold a campsite for those people interested in joining us. Since it is first come first served, having someone who will get there early and pay for your site is a MAJOR bonus. Otherwise it is hard to tell where you'd end up! If you want me to hold a site for you, send me a PM and we can work out the $$$ end of things. NOTE: Generally there are sufficient sites available on Friday evening that you'd have a decent pick. However, sites on Sat generally go early. This is a popular campground during October.

The park is also stuck WAY out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, it is a state park and you have to follow state park rules :guzzle: :wine party: but if you are discreet, the park rangers are not generally a problem. They do make frequent trips thru the campground, though. Unfortunately, we haven't located a good private campground in the area, and the state park really is the best choice.

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Return to Northeast