Hi! New teardrop owner... Cape Cod experiences?

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Hi! New teardrop owner... Cape Cod experiences?

Postby SheCamps » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new teeny tiny teardrop... Has anyone camped at the Cape? Can you recommend a campground please? I'd love to be in either walking distance to the ocean or a fresh water pond. This will be my first trip in my new camper AND my first solo trip camping so I'm excited/nervous! Thanks in advance for your recommendations (as well as warnings if you had a bad experience at a campground). Carpe diem, no?
SheCamps
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi! New teardrop owner... Cape Cod experiences?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 pm

SheCamps wrote:I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new teeny tiny teardrop... Has anyone camped at the Cape? Can you recommend a campground please? I'd love to be in either walking distance to the ocean or a fresh water pond. This will be my first trip in my new camper AND my first solo trip camping so I'm excited/nervous! Thanks in advance for your recommendations (as well as warnings if you had a bad experience at a campground). Carpe diem, no?

Not much help here... never camped east of the Boundary Waters. I keep Allstays Camp and RV app on my phone. It's a handy resource to have, you might grab a copy and use it to help with your research.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jonw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 am

I haven't been there in several years, but I used to go to Sweetwater Forest campground in Brewster with my kids.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:38 pm

We've camped at Sweetwater Forrest and Atlantic oaks.
Sweetwater is on a small pond, it has a beach but no swimming is allowed. We kayaked on it for a lazy afternoon paddle. There are much larger lakes near it but you must buy a pass to use the beaches or launch a boat there. It is too far from the ocean to walk, or even ride a bike to easily, the nearest beach is on cape cod bay. At low tide the water goes out about a mile, and comes back in again steadily. It is great for shell picking and observing crabs and snails. At high tide there can be times with the water as flat as a mill pond depending on the wind, rather boring to me.
Atlantic oaks and sweetwater are both just off the big rail trail on the cape.
Atlantic oaks is on the upper cape, which has much more of a vacation feel, the mid and lower cape are about like being on the mainland unless you are right on the water.
You can easily ride a bicycle on the rail trail over to the Cape cod national seashore beach from Atlantic oaks. Which is the biggest reason I would go back there again.
We also rode over to Nauset Head lighthouse, the one everybody knows, because it is on cape cod potato chips label, volunteers lead tours of it certain hours each week in the summer, it is worth the trip.
Sweetwater Forrest has more dispersed sites, separated by rail fences, brush and trees, and elevation. Atlantic oaks is more like an unpaved RV lot, with each slot separated by a row of trees or just a rail fence. I would ask to have a tent site as they actually have some minor privacy instead of depending on the bulk of the camper to not be staring at your neighbors when using the faucet or getting in and out of the tear doors.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 am

I have stayed at Nickerson State Park in Brewster. No amenities but nice place and very active.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Return to Northeast