Winter Camping - KC / N. MO Area

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Winter Camping - KC / N. MO Area

Postby sdiver78 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:24 am

Hi all, new here and new to teardrop camping. Just bought a slightly used Amish built pleasant valley teardrop and am working to tweak it to my liking. I want to get out and camp soon (late Jan, early Feb) with it. Does anyone know of a nice camp area around a few hour drive of Kansas City that is open for winter camping (mainly some sort of restroom - pit or otherwise)? The MO State parks and recreation.gov websites haven't be overly helpful thus far. Thank for any info!
sdiver78
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Winter Camping - KC / N. MO Area

Postby PaulC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:28 am

sdiver78 wrote:Hi all, new here and new to teardrop camping. Just bought a slightly used Amish built pleasant valley teardrop and am working to tweak it to my liking. I want to get out and camp soon (late Jan, early Feb) with it. Does anyone know of a nice camp area around a few hour drive of Kansas City that is open for winter camping (mainly some sort of restroom - pit or otherwise)? The MO State parks and recreation.gov websites haven't be overly helpful thus far. Thank for any info!

Welcome sdiver78. I can't help with info on camping over there but I can suggest setting up an album and posting heaps of pics to keep Miriam happy :R
Another idea would be to intro yourself in the newbie section. We love getting to know all the gritty little details about our latest members :lol:
Have fun while your here.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 am

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/results.aspx?s=31

http://www.mostateparks.com/camplist.htm

http://www.leesresort.com/ You will need to call to see if they are open. Oklahoma

There are also private campgrounds all over MO. If you do a google search you will find hundreds.

There are a few private campgrounds on highway 69 South in KS but I don't know their names

Also---free camping at KS mined land bring your own facilities. ;)

And Bushwhacker state fishing lake,(MO) pit toilet and small. Google it.
http://www.net4u.com/net4umap.asp?lid=175126&bhcp=1

I will look for more because we need a good place to play around here. :thumbsup:

This is a list of free camping for birdwatchers and others.
http://www.webspawner.com/users/birdingmo/
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby exminnesotaboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:13 am

try Watkins Mill State Park just outside Excelsior Springs. They keep a part of the campground open all year round. They do have a pit toilet open throughout the winter, but you will have to bring in your own water.

You shouldn't have to worry about reservations as there usually is no one out there this time of year. The park rangers will just come out and collect money. They usually have wood available for sale as well, just don't plan on seeing a ranger right away to get some.

Make sure you post up on here when you plan on going, as I know a few others that will join you - including us.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:18 am

Sdiver
First welcome to the forum. Always glad to see another KC camper.

Watkins Mill just west of Excelsior Springs has some electric and basic sites open all year. There is a pit toilet close to the electric sites and there is a freeze proof water hydrant down at the rv dump station which is about 1/4 mile from there so you can truck in a bag of water. We've camped there in Jan. with Exminisotaboy. If the weather comes out like the guessers say next weekend might not be to bad a weekend to try it.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:07 am

Welcome not only to this wonderful world of teardropping... and to this beautiful forum but also to this great group of folks from Mexico to Missouri that we call the South Central group. We hope to be camping with you soon !

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:43 am

:thumbsup: Here's another I wish someone would check out. I hear the fishing has gotten much better. :thumbsup:

http://baldwin-city.com/rec/douglaslake/
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sdiver78 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks for the links and warm welcome!

I've tent camped at Watkins Mill a couple times and like the area. Knowing now there is a pit available I'll probably trek out there for the initial camp. I'll keep looking for other's options though as I want to use the heck out of my new camper. :)

Anthony, I talked with you at Watkins one weekend. I'm the guy with the decked out blue FJ Cruiser.

I'll post pics when I get some of my rig, it's not ready for posing just yet.
sdiver78
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 pm

I have visited Wallace State Park. It has some really neat primitive sites that overlook ravines--don't wanna go sleepwalking! However, I recently checked their website as well as Weston Bend's site. Both were closed due to "dangerous conditions". I'm guessing weather related problems since Wallace is very hilly and the date mentioned was I think the first ice/snow storm of the season. Knob Noster, Big Lake and Lewis and Clark are open and have cold weather water taps and pit toilets though the showerhouses are closed. Arrow Rock is open but no water available. I think Van Meter is open but the website didn't say specifically. Not to be snitty but all this information came from mostateparks.com. I've found their website to be as informative as any state park site I've resourced.

You can also try the conservation atlas at MDC online. Most camping areas listed there have no facilities available.

Also make sure you check for firewood availability at any state park you plan on visiting. I'm not sure all have hosts year-round. Likewise, water may only be available at the park office which might be a problem on weekends or after hours.

Best,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby exminnesotaboy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:56 pm

sdiver78, yep, I remember you. Looks like you found yourself a teardrop, congratulations! The Yoter will look good behind the FJ.

Rayvillian said there was water throughout the winter at Watkins Mill - I learn something new every day....

Keep an eye on this forum for camping in the area - we are thinking about going to Watkins Mill in two weeks - nothing confirmed yet though.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 am

Miriam C. wrote::thumbsup: Here's another I wish someone would check out. I hear the fishing has gotten much better. :thumbsup:

http://baldwin-city.com/rec/douglaslake/

Got info on this one and it is closed. Drained I think. :(

I sure hope you guys got to the campground this past weekend. Was so nice out.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:35 am

exminnesotaboy wrote:try Watkins Mill State Park just outside Excelsior Springs. <snip>
Make sure you post up on here when you plan on going, as I know a few others that will join you - including us.

Kate (my wife) will definietly want to come out and meet you! (I'm still in Virginia until I can retire later this year.)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby s4son » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Is this turning into a "gathering?" :roll:

What's the date?

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Return to North Central