Clinton State Park (Kansas) June 20/21st

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Cool! My daughter, son in law, and grandson are coming out tomorrow evening and might come out on Saturday with their roommates boat. :thumbsup: I'll see you all tomorrow.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Dang... wish I was camping with y'all this weekend!!!!!

I emailed with Keith up there in Wichita and he says so many good things about Oklahoma's Lake Skiatook there west of Tulsa... maybe we can all meet there sometime before October!!!!

Have fun up there this weekend!!!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby WarPony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Victor Star wrote:They might come out on Saturday with their roommates boat...

Clinton is about 6 feet above full so there might be alot of junk/logs/whatever in the water so warn them ahead of time.

Jules, we'll drink a couple for ya'................. :beer: !!!!!

Jeff and Anna....... oh, Maggie and Boomer, too.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Bill P » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am

I'd love to drive up but my son is moving this weekend and needs my truck. Let me know the conditions. I may go out next weekend.

Bill
"Life is hard trooper. It's even harder if you're stupid"...Captain York"

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:43 am

Julie, I'd be up for a gathering around Tulsa. Let me know what you come up with.

Bill, Since this is my first visit to the campground I'll post a little review.

Almost ready to head out. Hope everyone has a safe trip to Clinton, Pettit Jean, or wherever you're off to.
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:28 am

Bill - It's a really nice area. We had a few dogs and kids in the area but overall a nice weekend. I'll be looking to go camping again in a few weeks so if anyone has plans let me know. :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby pete.wilson » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Hey

Been awhile; I don't know how I missed this one, I would have liked to come and visit. :cry:

Hope everyone had a good time; I have been working on some details for expanding my bigfoot group and we will be adding MO, AR, OK besides KS.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey Pete. I'll be sure and PM you the next time a campout comes up. Any good camping areas around Ottawa?
Darren

Postby WarPony » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Yeah, Pete, I almost missed Darren's post and found it at the last minute. It was a two-tear gathering :lol: along with my girlfriends parents in their camper. The weather was great but we had a small shower on Sunday morning but didn't amount to squat.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Would anyone be interisted in skydiving? Last June I jumped at Osage City, Kansas, it's west of Ottawa. Both Pomona and Melvern lakes are very close to the jumpsite. :o Pomona looks pretty nice and has a ton of camping. Anyone have any info on Pomona or Melvern?

YES - I will happily jump out of a perfectly good airplane! It's awesome.
Darren

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Victor Star wrote:Would anyone be interisted in skydiving? Last June I jumped at Osage City, Kansas, it's west of Ottawa. Both Pomona and Melvern lakes are very close to the jumpsite. :o Pomona looks pretty nice and has a ton of camping. Anyone have any info on Pomona or Melvern?

YES - I will happily jump out of a perfectly good airplane! It's awesome.

I checked out Pomona and it is really nice. Didn't get on the West or North sides but the others are very nice. Next time I go up I will take some pictures.

Oh and they have a campground that is free. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby WarPony » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Victor Star wrote:Anyone have any info on Pomona or Melvern?

We have camped at Melvern quite a few times at Arrow Rock Park down near Olivet on the South side of the lake. It's a Corps park like the one at Clinton and is alot closer to the lake but the custodians are just as chatty............ :lol: :lol: .

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm going to try and run down to check out both Pomona and Melvern tomorrow. I'll report back what I find.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 am

Alright. I checked out Pomona yesterday. 192 miles and 6 hours later I decided that the west and north sides are not worth the extra driving. The west end has no view of the lake and most of the north campsites are located on really bad gravel roads, several were washed out so I had to go the long way around a couple of times. The bad roads were going to the free campgrounds.

The good stuff.

The group camp that's in the Wolf Creek Recreation Area is awesome. It's the first group site I've seen that wasn't just an open field. There are 24 sites each with water and electric and a huge shelter for everyone to use, close to the water and lots of shade. $125 a night for the site, might make a nice gathering location.

The Outlet area was a little cramped, small sites, but had good shade. I don't recall having the lake in sight though.

In the State Park - The Big Bear Campground is very nice. Great view of the lake and lots of shade. Also the Kansa Campground has a good view of the lake and is close to a nice shower building plus the marina is just across the road.
Darren

Previous

Return to North Central