Clinton State Park (Kansas) June 20/21st

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Clinton State Park (Kansas) June 20/21st

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:23 pm

We've started 4, 10 hour days at work so I have Fridays off now. WOOOHOOO! I haven't camped since Lake of the Ozarks in March so I'm ready to get out. Unless the weather gets really bad I'm planning on going to the State Park at Clinton Lake by Lawrence, Kansas this coming weekend. That is unless there are any gatherings in the area. Anyway if you are bored and want to camping come on out.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 pm

This is the same week end as Petit Jean. Could you come up to it? It would be nice to see you again and I am sure you would enjoy yourself. Come on up, we don't have reservations but last year we had no problem getting in a spot. Is that too far to come?

Hope to see you then.
Grani
:D
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi Grani,

Petit Jean is about 860 miles round trip for me, a little farther than I like to go on a 3 day weekend. It was a good time last year and hate to miss it but I used up all my vacation last winter. I'm keeping my eyes open for North and South Central gatherings this fall. :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm

I understand, I really didn't realize it was that far. We have to go to a funeral in Ozark on thursday so we will be almost there. A very dear friend of ours was in Texas on his motorcycle and was hit head on and killed. It was quite a shock. He is a very careful driver so we just couldn't comprehend what might have happened. Rumor has it that he had a heart attack and veered into the other lane. He was in his early 50's so that also was a shock. Well, enough about that. Sorry you won't get to come to PJ but I can sure understand it. Have a nice campout at the lake.

Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 am

Sorry to hear about your friend. Now that I think about it if I can trade days off with my buddy Chuck I'll end up with a 4 day weekend. :thinking:

It's really not that far from my house to Petit Jean, I was looking at the map I had with a side trip to my uncles house. It's only around 770 miles round trip.
Darren

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:15 am

Clinton Lake was my first campout in a long time , about 3 years ago and I was in a tent but had heard about these teardrops and wanted to see one in person.... that's when I first met Jeff & Anna and little Maggie, Tom Walizcek and his Rimple, Scott & Sylvia and they were borrowing Gary & Trudy's Little Guy and Sylvia and me hit it off... she made me lay down in it and see what it was like. So that's what I always do now when people look at my Jewel Box ... haha

Then I was hooked!!!

I would love to come camping but probably can't do it this weekend... same reason as PJ ... lots of miles, Jewel Box is in the shop, gas $$$ .....

I'm hoping to organize something north of Tulsa for late July ......

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:53 am

North of Tulsa in late July just sounds hot, literally. I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

Do you remember which area you camped in at Clinton Lake? I think I'll go to the State Park area but there are also COE parks there.
Darren

Postby Bill P » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:46 pm

I can't camp this weekend as my son needs my truck. I may drive up Friday night to say howdy if you plan to go.

I went down to Hillsdale SP last weekend and quite a few of the full-service campsites are under water. I don't recall that Clinton had any sites near the lake.

Bill
"Life is hard trooper. It's even harder if you're stupid"...Captain York"

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Bill, if you go to the Park near the town of Clinton the sites are closer to the water. That is on the N. West side of the lake.

We would go but I promised to haul wood for my sister and I still didn't get the truck aligned. :oops:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby WarPony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Darren, we are camping at Clinton Lake this weekend instead of going to PJ. I just found this thread and thought I would give you a heads up. We are not going to the State Park but will be over on the other side of the lake in the Walnut Campground where I had the gathering Julie was talking about. I have site #'s 278 and 279 reserved for us and Anna's folks. You're more than welcome to head over if you want. I'm partial to the west side of the lake, there are more trees and closer to the lake. PM me if you want and I'll give you my cell phone #.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks Jeff. I tried looking on reserveamerica but they don't show the campsites going up that high in numbers. Can you direct me to where you reserved from?

Thanks,
Darren
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I found it on the Corps of Engineers site. I'll probably run into you this weekend.
Darren

Postby WarPony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Reserve America doesn't work anymore. Go to www.recreation.gov and re-register. You won't be able to reserve a campsite anyway because it's too close to Friday. I think you can't reserve anything the day before you want to camp. You may have to drive out and see what's available.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I grabbed 277 for Saturday night and I have tomorrow off so I should get there early enough to get it for Friday. Cool. I've been needing to just sit back for a couple of days and relax. When are you planning on getting there?
Darren

Postby WarPony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Victor Star wrote:I grabbed 277 for Saturday night........ When are you planning on getting there?

KICKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll probably show up around 6:45-7:00 PM but Anna's folks will be there sometime in the afternoon. Their names are T.J. and June, the yellow Labs name is Joe. You've got a good spot, lots of shade................ :thumbsup:

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Next

Return to North Central