Wyoming campground suggestions........

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Wyoming campground suggestions........

Postby WarPony » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, I asked this about 2 1/2 years ago but was looking for Grand Teton NP recomendations. I got good hits from JPLock for Dubois Lake, Amy H and Junkman for Jenny Lake and Coulter Bay area but never made it up there.

Quite of few memebers have come and gone since then............. I was hoping there are some new members (and old) that could point us in some good state parks in WY to visit but NOT national parks.

We have dogs now and the National Parks don't allow dogs ( :thumbdown: ) ...........

Jeff and Anna
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Jeff
When we went 3? or was it 4 yrs ago we stayed at mainly commercial parks, don't know why just did. But if you can you gotta float down Wind River canyon it was fantastic.
Gary
Ps Trudy just reminded me of Ayers natural bridge. when we were there it was free for 3 nights. It's just east of Casper off of I 25.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:25 am

Morning Jeff, There is a lot of BLM land in Wyo. If you are into roughing it. I am sure you could find lots of camping for Free. Save your money for gas. JIm G 8)
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am

Morning Jeff,
Perhaps this will help for getting free camping if you go that way.
http://telusplanet.net/public/waters/links.htm
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby B52 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Jeff,
Cross Teton Pass west out of Jackson Hole into Idaho. Go north to Driggs and then east on Targee Rd. Take the road to Teton campground. Beautiful campground on the west slope of the Tetons!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Camping in Wyoming

Postby Dearborn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:27 am

I live in the Cody area, and highly recommend the area, but you also need to keep grizzly bear in mind - especially with your dogs. The Buffalo Bill State Park campgrounds are great, as are a number of places around the Big Horn Basin.

Gasoline is running $1.47/gallon in Cody, so it's a lot cheaper than when you initially made your post. I hope it stays that way for the coming summer.
Dearborn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iplay10us2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:08 am

Good link for checking regulations for pets at National Parks.

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=national_parks

Most seem to allow them in campgrounds, but there are other restrictions.

I have been looking at Wyoming campgrounds myself. I will be in Custer, SD until June 8th, and I haven't decided how or when I will make my way back to Little Rock. I am looking at driving I-80 west and then dropping down through western Colorado and then into New Mexico.

Anybody know what I-80 from Cheyenne westward is like as far has how mountainous, curvy, etc?
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby jplock » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 am

Hey Warpony,
That is Brooks Lake approxamately 18 miles west of Dubois on hiway 287 then take gravel road 5 miles north to Pinnacles campground......It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
jplock
:) :) :)

Pinacles Campground View to West (Like a story book!)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Custer State Park

Postby queeniejeanne » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 am

I'll do a second vote for Custer State Park. They allow dogs in campground and on trails but watch for the bear...We stayed last Sept in Lake Sylvan Campground and there are two great hikes will be in your memories for years to come...1st is Little Devil's Tower just up the road from that campground is the trail head and the other is Harney Peak, highest point in South Dakota....CCC built water tank and walls and project on top. Lots of wildlife, deer in campground morning and night. Many lakes for kayak/canoe. Central location makes day tripping easy. We stayed a week there and went to Devils Tower, horseback riding and photo shooting of all the bison and prairie dogs.
See you in May, Jeanne
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Return to North Central